War of the words - Use of labels for promotion (1 Viewer)

saintyclaus

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Here is a video or monologue of a guy giving his opinion on the use of labels and how they are used to promote an agenda or policy. He also discusses the roles that they play on one's emotions and how they're used to create fear that really isn't there to begin with.

He analogizes labels being used in the current gun debate with other labels that have been used in political policies (e.g Weapons of mass destruction, No child left behind, Affordable Care Act, etc...) to make his points.

He discusses a few things about labels changing (i.e. semi-automatic rifle <--> Assault rifle <--> Weapon of War) and says you should ask yourself the following 3 questions:
  1. What's the value of the new label
  2. Why did that label change
  3. What are the implications of that label changing

He later talks about how these labels hender conversations about the real issues due to the fact that the label causes the focus to be on the item or tool instead of figuring out what causes people to turn to violence in the first place.

Anyways, take a look and share your thoughts.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q2riOiBaZrg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q2riOiBaZrg

Saint77

Burrrrrrrsitis!
Reaction score
Salesmanship, debate skills, word crafting, and labeling. all fall under the prevue of Political folk. I thought it was a solid video.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i'm sure peddlars have been doing this since grecian/egyptian business people
but as for US "snake-oil salesmen" seem to be the earliest "marketing weasel" phrase out there
politically, i started paying attention with "peace keeper missle"

i'm sure it's unbiquitous, but i've always felt "marketing" was a poor substitute for quality - if you're idea/product can't sell itself...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom