Warner Brothers Just Went Blu-Ray Exclusive (1 Viewer)

Why?

I'd don't particularly like giving in to lack of consumer choice because one company wants to dictate to me what i can and cannot buy.

Consumers only weapon is in what they choose to and choose not to buy. Sony has basically decided that BluRay is the only choice consumers will have. I may be in the minority but that just doesn't sit well with me.

I may just be bitter that a significant market of people with HD DVD players will now be ignored, but i'll never buy bluRay, ever. I'll buy a HD DVD recorder and record HD movies off HD HBO on comcast and burn them before i ever buy a BluRay player or a PS3.

Why?

I'd don't particularly like giving in to lack of consumer choice because one company wants to dictate to me what i can and cannot buy.

Consumers only weapon is in what they choose to and choose not to buy. Sony has basically decided that BluRay is the only choice consumers will have. I may be in the minority but that just doesn't sit well with me.

I may just be bitter that a significant market of people with HD DVD players will now be ignored, but i'll never buy bluRay, ever. I'll buy a HD DVD recorder and record HD movies off HD HBO on comcast and burn them before i ever buy a BluRay player or a PS3.

Let's revisit this post in about three years. The first line could just as easily be written about Microsoft and HD DVD.

Good thing I only spent $100 on my HD DVD player. Too bad I've spent like $200 on movies so far...

It looks like Blu-Ray is going to win this war. HD-DVD=Betamax

Thank goodness I have yet to buy either HD DVD or BluRay until this mess shakes out...

Micro$oft isn't going bankrupt. They print their own money...

Beta was technologically better and it lost to VHS, Same story here. HD-DVD used advanced codecs like VC-1 and True-HD while blu-ray is still in the dark ages using bloated PCM encodes, and substandard MPEG2 rips.

Beta was technologically better and it lost to VHS, Same story here. HD-DVD used advanced codecs like VC-1 and True-HD while blu-ray is still in the dark ages using bloated PCM encodes, and substandard MPEG2 rips.

Actually the VC-1 is not more advanced, it is crappy Windows Media 9 Codec. It is a case of Microsoft trying to control DVD royalties. I posted this already on another forum regarding this issue but read this to get up to speed.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/08/29/origins-of-the-blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-war/

A few paragraphs from that page:

Microsoft, worried that the new HD formats would eclipse its DVD+WMV plan, hoped to get both groups to adopt its iHD for interactive menus and use its WMV video codecs. After finding resistance to using its proprietary WMV over the standard MPEG-4, Microsoft had the SMPTE publish its Windows Media 9 codec under the name VC-1.

Microsoft now humorously refers to Windows Media 9 as “an implementation of the VC-1 standard.” The specification for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray require players to support both MPEG-4 and VC-1, and movies can be encoded in either. Most HD-DVDs use VC-1, and most Blu-ray movies use MPEG.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom