Warren Beatty with the Steve Harvey moment at the Oscars (1 Viewer)

GrandAdmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow... just wow. Wanted Moonlight to win and was a little down when Warren Beatty announced La La Land, but then that moment...

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WATCH: Moment where crew/cast of &#39;La La Land&#39; realizes a mistake had been made and &#39;Moonlight&#39; actually won Best Picture. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Oscars?src=hash">#Oscars</a> <a href="https://t.co/WCCopwsJ66">pic.twitter.com/WCCopwsJ66</a></p>&mdash; Good Morning America (@GMA) <a href="https://twitter.com/GMA/status/836082756157222912">February 27, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure how or what Beatty was reading. It'll be interesting to see what the Academy has to say tomorrow.

3e82aa25303f9449d8374cc1aa0ce778.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I think I saw that they gave Beatty the envelope from Emma Stone's Best Actress win by mistake.

I think I saw that they gave Beatty the envelope from Emma Stone's Best Actress win by mistake.

They interviewed Emma Stone backstage and she said she had been holding the envelope and card after her win the entire time.

Based off the clip, because thats all I saw...I was too busy Mardi Graing..., the one guy from La La Land handled this very well! Thats to be commended. The other guy? Not so much.

So looking at the clip again, there seems to have been multiple envelopes out there. Beatty was holding the correct one, then another guy who walked behind him had another. Could they have had duplicates?

They interviewed Emma Stone backstage and she said she had been holding the envelope and card after her win the entire time.

There are two sets of all the cards--i.e., two copies for each winner--which are held by the two Price Waterhouse representatives who monitor the process. Apparently they gave Beatty the second Best Actress card instead of the correct Best Picture card. When he noticed Emma's name on the card he probably should have asked for a producer to come on stage.

But ultimately it looks like the fiasco may be laid at the feet of Price Waterhouse: (1) because they shouldn't have given him the wrong card in the first place and (2) because, as I have always understood the procedure, if any presenter ever makes a mistake in reading a winner, a PW rep is supposed to get on stage immediately and correct matters. It's being presumed that either didn't happen or at least took longer than it should have to happen here.

Oscars Blows It: Gives Best Picture To Wrong Film (Deadline)

Some commenters have joked that this is the accountants' long-awaited revenge for the Academy's decision to cut the traditional minute or two that they always used to take to introduce and thank the PW representatives for their services.

There are two sets of all the cards--i.e., two copies for each winner--which are held by the two Price Waterhouse representatives who monitor the process. Apparently they gave Beatty the second Best Actress card instead of the correct Best Picture card. When he noticed Emma's name on the card he probably should have asked for a producer to come on stage.

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured something was up when I watched the clip again and saw there were multiple envelopes out there.

I thought it was Faye Dunaway who read out the wrong card.

She did. You could see that Beatty was confused when reading the card and he probably should have said something, but Dunaway got nervous and took it from him and just read the movie title.

Close-up of the envelope Dunaway read from...

170227092314-oscars-2017-envelope-hp-super-169.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom