Warren moon on brees (1 Viewer)

jayd265

Fleur de LEE
Reaction score
id think practice reps and brees always being first guy in and last guy out the facility might catch up to him this season. but he conditions/takes care of his body like crazy.

sfbaysaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I read/heard on podcast somewhere that Payton mentioned of giving wednesdays off to Brees. Is it really happening or not is not known.

Reaction score
Fatigue will really hit later in the season. In such a sport that taxes you very much physically, an older guy will also have a slower recovery time. I don't think what we are seeing is fatigue, just a couple games in. I think it's a combination of things. Some slight rust due to limited offseason activities/no preseason reps (remember, the o-line usually gets these practice reps, too). Sanders isn't on the same page yet, Thomas being out and shifting receivers probably throws things off.

And of course, there's the fact that Brees is no spring chicken anymore. He's thrown a bigillion passes in his career. The arm is not the same as it was 10 years ago, and there are going to be some uncharacteristic passes and limitations of his skills. Best scenario is that the o-line really starts dominating, keeping him clean, he and the receivers all get on the same page, we really stick with the run game, and the defense returns to form. The last two things will be even more crucial in the second half of the season. We need to play solid, not spectacular offense, but even then, we will only go as far as the defense takes us.

Reaction score
I think it is timing and familiarity. No offseason workouts, lots of time off in training camp. New receivers. Brees has always been incredibly accurate, which is based on timing and precision. Maybe, part of this is that the receivers aren’t where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be.

Nonreg

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Fatigue will really hit later in the season. In such a sport that taxes you very much physically, an older guy will also have a slower recovery time. I don't think what we are seeing is fatigue, just a couple games in. I think it's a combination of things. Some slight rust due to limited offseason activities/no preseason reps (remember, the o-line usually gets these practice reps, too). Sanders isn't on the same page yet, Thomas being out and shifting receivers probably throws things off.

And of course, there's the fact that Brees is no spring chicken anymore. He's thrown a bigillion passes in his career. The arm is not the same as it was 10 years ago, and there are going to be some uncharacteristic passes and limitations of his skills. Best scenario is that the o-line really starts dominating, keeping him clean, he and the receivers all get on the same page, we really stick with the run game, and the defense returns to form. The last two things will be even more crucial in the second half of the season. We need to play solid, not spectacular offense, but even then, we will only go as far as the defense takes us.
This.

I really liked the strategy as Murray being the traditional RB and splitting Kamara out in the slot. Especially now that Thomas is out.

Best of both worlds with Murray bruising people and getting Kamara out in space while utilizing Drew’s strength.

Usmfan84

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The thing is...we get so pass happy. If we are doing load management with him to keep him fresh then why on earth are abandoning the run like we did in the 2nd and 3rd QT vs the Raiders when we were getting yards in chunks? They still get carried away and we still see Brees passing the ball 4,5,6 plays in a row.

TheGooch

Stanky good!
Reaction score
I didn't get to see the interception during the game cuz I was outside and when I came back in the raiders had the ball...looks like Peat blew another block and Brees had pressure in his face and threw off his back foot faster than he wanted to...damn you Peat

Reaction score
This.

I really liked the strategy as Murray being the traditional RB and splitting Kamara out in the slot. Especially now that Thomas is out.

Best of both worlds with Murray bruising people and getting Kamara out in space while utilizing Drew’s strength.
This makes a ton of sense. Kamara rates as the only rb in the nfl who runs Wr routes better than average when compared to wrs. Smart

Reaction score
Is it a small possibility that maybe Drew and some players are about to have covid so they are getting tired faster than normal? Just wondering if that's an early symptom or not?

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The thing is...we get so pass happy. If we are doing load management with him to keep him fresh then why on earth are abandoning the run like we did in the 2nd and 3rd QT vs the Raiders when we were getting yards in chunks? They still get carried away and we still see Brees passing the ball 4,5,6 plays in a row.
My favorite gave over the past few seasons was when they played buffalo and ran for almost 300 yards. SP tends to stop feeding the hot hand, for whatever reason (which I always disliked because it seemed to take some momentum away) but for once, in that game, he kept doing what was working. And it was a great thing to see. I'd like to see more commitment to the run, but this is SP and he has never really done that.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
My favorite gave over the past few seasons was when they played buffalo and ran for almost 300 yards. SP tends to stop feeding the hot hand, for whatever reason (which I always disliked because it seemed to take some momentum away) but for once, in that game, he kept doing what was working. And it was a great thing to see. I'd like to see more commitment to the run, but this is SP and he has never really done that.
His best running game for an entire year was 2017. It culminated in your Buffalo game. And I mean sustained running calls throughout the average of the whole season.

Groovepro

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Washington, La. (but touring nationally mostly)
As a former (almost exclusively at QB)HS, college and semi-pro player into my 40s, as well as been coach, trainer and worked with CFL, AFL and NFL players...I have a different view on Brees.

Of course his arm strength has lowered over last decade, but statements he can't throw past 20 yards is completely absurd.

He has worked hard in offseason to strengthen other muscle groups, gain more power on his throws and I noticed he has a bit more zip on his passes, when needed, than he has had the last few seasons. When you change some of these factors, your normal mechanics will be off. Not having as much of reps in game time, you easily revert back to your usual mechanics. I feel he is fighting some of this. Is he 2009 Brees, no...but that is my "one man's opinion".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Krodwhodat NASA discover water on sunlit moon surface Everything Else Board 2
How would Drew Brees' (alleged) 'baller' condo at the Four Seasons Hotel look? Get a sneak preview Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: How Saints QB Brees turned in a vintage performance without top receivers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, Saints still have that two-minute-drill magic Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus WATCH: Baldy's Breakdowns highlights the Drew Brees leap vs. Carolina SR News Page Articles 0
jasonsw Brees Quitely having a great season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 116
Saint Kamara Brees leading team on historic pace for 3rd down conversions Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Tom Brady, Drew Brees may pass the NFL TD pass record back and forth many times Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Saints Drew Brees for MVP? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees excellent throughout, Marcus Davenport comes up with big sack in New Orleans Saints victory against Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Brees' clutch precision lifts Saints past Panthers, 27-24 SR News Page Articles 0
Tom Brady passes Drew Brees for NFL passing touchdowns record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Tom Brady ties Drew Brees with his 558th career touchdown pass Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bigsaints Brees before the half Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 31
Krodwhodat Drew Brees is a better QB with less talented receivers Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 38
Drew Brees, Alvin Kamara lead depleted Saints offense past Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Kamara Game winning drives, Brees getting closer to the record Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Saint Kamara Thank God for Drew Brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 27
Drew Brees' latest milestone? Saints QB the first in NFL history to hit 7K completions Saints RSS News Feeds 0
saintmike23 Saints That was the closest Drew Brees special ever! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
The end of the QB era, Part 3: Drew Brees’ legacy Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees reacts to New Orleans Saints vs Carolina Panthers Week 7, Teddy Bridgewater Is No-Problem SR News Page Articles 0
Saints QB Drew Brees teams up with LaToya Cantrell for new coronavirus PSA Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Tom Brady now one touchdown pass behind Drew Brees’ career record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees Air Stats Over 10 Yards Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 50
Dan in Lafayette Saints mainstays Brees, Jordan, Morstead climbing higher in team record books SR News Page Articles 0