Warren moon on brees (1 Viewer)

As a former (almost exclusively at QB)HS, college and semi-pro player into my 40s, as well as been coach, trainer and worked with CFL, AFL and NFL players...I have a different view on Brees.

Of course his arm strength has lowered over last decade, but statements he can't throw past 20 yards is completely absurd.

He has worked hard in offseason to strengthen other muscle groups, gain more power on his throws and I noticed he has a bit more zip on his passes, when needed, than he has had the last few seasons. When you change some of these factors, your normal mechanics will be off. Not having as much of reps in game time, you easily revert back to your usual mechanics. I feel he is fighting some of this. Is he 2009 Brees, no...but that is my "one man's opinion".

I wonder if the late night game effected him. more than usual with Time Zone changes and all. I used to travel to Vegas on business and I found it plum impossible to sleep because the city is lit up 24/7 with all the neon. Luckily for me my body is accustomed to a bare minimum amount of sleep 5 nights a week.

The thing is...we get so pass happy. If we are doing load management with him to keep him fresh then why on earth are abandoning the run like we did in the 2nd and 3rd QT vs the Raiders when we were getting yards in chunks? They still get carried away and we still see Brees passing the ball 4,5,6 plays in a row.

This. Like it or not, Drew is at the point in his career where he is essentially a game manager. All the greats ended their careers in similar fashion - Peyton, Favre, Elway and even Brady right now. You can no longer just rely on Drew to carry the offense. History has shown that in order to reach the goal of a Superbowl championship, we will need to remain committed to the running game and the defense will need to be stout. The good news is that between our O-line, AK41, Murray and Taysom, we have the horses to be VERY successful in the run game. Just need Payton to get out of his own head and commit to it.

Defense is the question mark for me. On paper, the D looks great and we held Brady and the Bucs in check for the most part. But couldn't get off the field against the Raiders, who admittedly have a very solid offense. The D was definitely gassed by the end of that game. Things don't get easier this week against the Packers, but one thing Payton can control is committing to the run game and possessing the football as much as possible.

On the interception, it looks like he committed to the throw right as the center moved to double team the right side, and Peat gave up inside pressure....no room to step into it and it came out WAY short. That was really bad timing...had the pressure come just a split second earlier I don't think he attempts that throw...likely gets sacked. If the pressure comes in just a bit later, then maybe Drew gets enough on it to go over the defenders head.

That said....you could see the drop off at the end of the 2018 season, and he was able to get as far as he did in 2019 because of the games he missed while injured. The hope with re-signing Taysom as 2nd string QB was that he would be subbing in for Drew a bit more to reduce his pitch count but that hasn't materialized as of yet.

IF Taysom is heir apparent, you'd think he would be getting a lot more reps in passing downs than he has so far.

This. Like it or not, Drew is at the point in his career where he is essentially a game manager. ...

Defense is the question mark for me. On paper, the D looks great ...

Agree to both. The key to both is adaptive coaching.

On offense, we have the perfect roster to play with a game-managing QB: tough OL and thunder/lightning RB duo. Payton needs to adapt to this.

On defense, at least half the problem was the failure of MJ to cover Waller while 5+ yards off the line. DD could cover him, we should have adapted.

It is a shame because adapting used to be our coaching staff's strength.

To me it seems theres more to it than conditioning and arm strength.

I dont know if this has been brought up, but the drive in the last minute of the game. Yes, we are down by 10. One time out. 0.0111% chance we can steal the win or tie it and send it to overtime.

But short dump off passes? Why no deep shots? On deep catch or OPI, and we are in fg range or endzone shot range. It's worked against us in the past. Many times in fact. The last time the raiders were in the dome, something si.ilar happened.

In the past wed have at least tried. Heck, one catch or OPI, kick a FG, the onside kick... that shouldve been the plan IMO. The fact that it wasnt means something. I just dont know exactly what.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom