Warren moon on brees (1 Viewer)

id think practice reps and brees always being first guy in and last guy out the facility might catch up to him this season. but he conditions/takes care of his body like crazy.

I read/heard on podcast somewhere that Payton mentioned of giving wednesdays off to Brees. Is it really happening or not is not known.

Fatigue will really hit later in the season. In such a sport that taxes you very much physically, an older guy will also have a slower recovery time. I don't think what we are seeing is fatigue, just a couple games in. I think it's a combination of things. Some slight rust due to limited offseason activities/no preseason reps (remember, the o-line usually gets these practice reps, too). Sanders isn't on the same page yet, Thomas being out and shifting receivers probably throws things off.

And of course, there's the fact that Brees is no spring chicken anymore. He's thrown a bigillion passes in his career. The arm is not the same as it was 10 years ago, and there are going to be some uncharacteristic passes and limitations of his skills. Best scenario is that the o-line really starts dominating, keeping him clean, he and the receivers all get on the same page, we really stick with the run game, and the defense returns to form. The last two things will be even more crucial in the second half of the season. We need to play solid, not spectacular offense, but even then, we will only go as far as the defense takes us.

I think it is timing and familiarity. No offseason workouts, lots of time off in training camp. New receivers. Brees has always been incredibly accurate, which is based on timing and precision. Maybe, part of this is that the receivers aren’t where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be.

Fatigue will really hit later in the season. In such a sport that taxes you very much physically, an older guy will also have a slower recovery time. I don't think what we are seeing is fatigue, just a couple games in. I think it's a combination of things. Some slight rust due to limited offseason activities/no preseason reps (remember, the o-line usually gets these practice reps, too). Sanders isn't on the same page yet, Thomas being out and shifting receivers probably throws things off.

And of course, there's the fact that Brees is no spring chicken anymore. He's thrown a bigillion passes in his career. The arm is not the same as it was 10 years ago, and there are going to be some uncharacteristic passes and limitations of his skills. Best scenario is that the o-line really starts dominating, keeping him clean, he and the receivers all get on the same page, we really stick with the run game, and the defense returns to form. The last two things will be even more crucial in the second half of the season. We need to play solid, not spectacular offense, but even then, we will only go as far as the defense takes us.

This.

I really liked the strategy as Murray being the traditional RB and splitting Kamara out in the slot. Especially now that Thomas is out.

Best of both worlds with Murray bruising people and getting Kamara out in space while utilizing Drew’s strength.

The thing is...we get so pass happy. If we are doing load management with him to keep him fresh then why on earth are abandoning the run like we did in the 2nd and 3rd QT vs the Raiders when we were getting yards in chunks? They still get carried away and we still see Brees passing the ball 4,5,6 plays in a row.

I didn't get to see the interception during the game cuz I was outside and when I came back in the raiders had the ball...looks like Peat blew another block and Brees had pressure in his face and threw off his back foot faster than he wanted to...damn you Peat

This.

I really liked the strategy as Murray being the traditional RB and splitting Kamara out in the slot. Especially now that Thomas is out.

Best of both worlds with Murray bruising people and getting Kamara out in space while utilizing Drew’s strength.
This makes a ton of sense. Kamara rates as the only rb in the nfl who runs Wr routes better than average when compared to wrs. Smart

Is it a small possibility that maybe Drew and some players are about to have covid so they are getting tired faster than normal? Just wondering if that's an early symptom or not?

The thing is...we get so pass happy. If we are doing load management with him to keep him fresh then why on earth are abandoning the run like we did in the 2nd and 3rd QT vs the Raiders when we were getting yards in chunks? They still get carried away and we still see Brees passing the ball 4,5,6 plays in a row.

My favorite gave over the past few seasons was when they played buffalo and ran for almost 300 yards. SP tends to stop feeding the hot hand, for whatever reason (which I always disliked because it seemed to take some momentum away) but for once, in that game, he kept doing what was working. And it was a great thing to see. I'd like to see more commitment to the run, but this is SP and he has never really done that.

My favorite gave over the past few seasons was when they played buffalo and ran for almost 300 yards. SP tends to stop feeding the hot hand, for whatever reason (which I always disliked because it seemed to take some momentum away) but for once, in that game, he kept doing what was working. And it was a great thing to see. I'd like to see more commitment to the run, but this is SP and he has never really done that.

His best running game for an entire year was 2017. It culminated in your Buffalo game. And I mean sustained running calls throughout the average of the whole season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom