Was anyone else thinking we scored with too much time on the clock? (1 Viewer)

The_Burning_Bush

it is lit
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd run once or twice just to take a little time off the clock, I thought we had given way too much time to come back with. Luckily it all worked out....

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Not really. With how sporadic our offense has been I actually trusted our defense more. I figured I would rather get a definite score than to take 2 minutes for some freak play to happen to us.

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
Yeah, I did -- but when you have to get into the end zone I think you do it when you can.

jeepman

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yea I was thinking that, but you have to score when the opportunity arises. Thankfully it all worked out.

the-commish

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd run once or twice just to take a little time off the clock, I thought we had given way too much time to come back with. Luckily it all worked out....

Yes. I did.

And what's with Payton trying to call a timeout to ice the kicker on a 59-yard FG try? Had he gotten the TO, he might have cost his team the game.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to run down the clock before scoring.

When I saw Ivory in the game, I said "YES!!! Payton is running it down!"

To my surprise and the Cowboys surprise, Payton called a pass to Moore!

That means Ivory is now officially a "decoy", and due for a $6 million dollar raise.

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
I had calculated roughly what would have been the best case scenario for the Saints and basically the Cowboys would have called both of their timeouts on 1st and 2nd down. If you figure the Saints get the TD on 3rd down (we could have gotten a 1st inside the 2, but not likely would it have worked out that perfectly), then the Cowboys are left with about 1:45 left on the clock with no timeouts.

So to answer your question you have to be aggressive in that situation.

My favorite part of that play was having a run formation and setting up play action. It worked perfectly.

Rugger

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In that situation you score and worry about stopping them on defense. It was not the time to try to get cute and run down the clock down 4 with under 2 minutes in the game. Payton, as usual, played it exactly right.

saints15

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I did -- but when you have to get into the end zone I think you do it when you can.

This - I never thought that they would drive down and get 6 but I was thinking OT was a possibility. My concern with OT was not loosing but injuries.

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I said in chat once we got to the 12 that it was time for some Lance. You take the score when you can in that position and trust the Def. that is the major reason you are 7-3 at that point.

Bring_IT

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I looked at the clock, but agreed the Defense had this!

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
The only thing that worried me was that Dallas had 3 time outs still, but the Def. did a great job early in the drive keeping them inbounds and forcing timeouts.

Quickf5

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
After what the Girls did before the 1/2 I was a little nervous. Feel so much better now!

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Run down the clock before scoring? What if don't score?

This is pure hindsight. You take the points anyway you can get it. Noway to know if you could still score after wasting two downs to burn clock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom