Was the fake punt the worst decision you've seen Sean Payton ever make? (1 Viewer)

Called OPI on MT. The defender GRABBED MT about 2 yds from the LOS and didn't let go until MT pushed him off. Total CHEATING by the Refs on that call. It went from 4th and 1 to 3rd and 18. (Next play Bosa slapped down an attempted screen to AK.)]

Micheal Thomas has now been called for OPI 3 times this year leading the league.

He's been thrown too 147 times this year. I can't think of a single time a defender has been called for Pass Interference. But he's been called for OPI 3 times. Yep....nothing alarming going on there....

He's on the rules committee. Certainly he knows that they won't call PI on the defender engaging with the gunner.

So you call a long pass play down the sideline to a receiver we can't trust that is being totally engaged because he's the gunner?

That worked in practice? Or was that just drawn up in his head and winged during the game?

I'm assuming someone asked him in the post game press conference. Eager to hear his thinking.

If SP was after confusion, he sure confused me. But Who Dats, here's the gig with geniuses. They will make some calls that are insanely brilliant. We just sit in awe. but we can also be guaranteed that every once in a while one of their genius plans implemented in the real world will not be so genius as it was inside the genius "mind. I think that was one of those plays.

Micheal Thomas has now been called for OPI 3 times this year leading the league.

He's been thrown too 147 times this year. I can't think of a single time a defender has been called for Pass Interference. But he's been called for OPI 3 times. Yep....nothing alarming going on there....

Also we have been called for defensive holding 15 times and DPI 9 times.

Our opponents have been called 4 and 3 times.

It's like they stop looking for it once we have the ball...

Also weird - that OPI call against MT was the FIRST Penalty called against the Saints in the game! (At least, that is what the announcer proclaimed at the call.)

If SP was after confusion, he sure confused me. But Who Dats, here's the gig with geniuses. They will make some calls that are insanely brilliant. We just sit in awe. but we can also be guaranteed that every once in a while one of their genius plans implemented in the real world will not be so genius as it was inside the genius "mind. I think that was one of those plays.

There was one shot of SP on the sideline looking at his playsheet and GRINNING like the Cheshire Cat - I sure would like to know what he was thinking at the time!

Also we have been called for defensive holding 15 times and DPI 9 times.

Our opponents have been called 4 and 3 times.

It's like they stop looking for it once we have the ball...

Oh and we have 5 OPIs. They have called more offensive pass interference than they have called DPI's for us. I mean seriously?!?

Again - I thought the game was pretty well officiated, I try to be as objective as possible when looking at penalties or no calls. And I saw 3-4 calls and no calls against the Niners that I thought were bad calls. And the Niners definitely got a few sweet pies served to them also

Just now on Get Up, Olovski just proclaimed "I've been told that not a single ref would ever call holding in that situation!" (referring to the fake punt play)

Total BS!

There was one shot of SP on the sideline looking at his playsheet and GRINNING like the Cheshire Cat - I sure would like to know what he was thinking at the time!

Agree VP. Just to be a neuron inside SP's head to see what he was thinking with that huge grin would be near priceless.

Can anyone tell me what specifies a play is a punt play to make it a fake punt????? If you have a player that has never played the position of punter but has often played as a QB, what in that formation says you have to call that a fake punt??

I really think that was the conundrum of the play that Payton designed. I think it was designed to get the penalty for a first down which is why the yards to first was not much of a factor in the decision to call the "fake" punt.

Can anyone tell me what specifies a play is a punt play to make it a fake punt????? If you have a player that has never played the position of punter but has often played as a QB, what in that formation says you have to call that a fake punt??

I really think that was the conundrum of the play that Payton designed. I think it was designed to get the penalty for a first down which is why the yards to first was not much of a factor in the decision to call the "fake" punt.

Context clues I guess? Obviously the ref saw it and was like nahhh can't be no sane person would go for it on 4th and 18 down two in the third quarter...has to be a punt....

The problem with this play was the Saints were lined up in a punt formation. They should have lined up normal with Taysom in the punters position and it would have been considered a normal play and PI rules would have applied. Yes there was holding down the field but this was on SP for not knowing the rules and not lining them up correctly. Nobody thought Taysom was going to actually punt it. This would be a good play to run in the future because the odds are the outside defender is going to PI all the way down the field.

The problem with this play was the Saints were lined up in a punt formation. They should have lined up normal with Taysom in the punters position and it would have been considered a normal play and PI rules would have applied. Yes there was holding down the field but this was on SP for not knowing the rules and not lining them up correctly. Nobody thought Taysom was going to actually punt it. This would be a good play to run in the future because the odds are the outside defender is going to PI all the way down the field.
Taysom WAS in the punter position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom