Was the Payton Vilma talk just a smokescreen? (1 Viewer)

treeduck

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe talking Vilma up to trade him to the Rams/Titans, or just generally misdirecting?

To my eyes Vilma has been poor for the last couple of years due to injuries, distractions and possibly age.

He looks too small to play ILB in a 3-4 and too slow and too small to be an OLB.

I'm no expert of course but I just don't like the idea of holding onto to a guy who looks to be in terminal decline.

He was most likely serious...about as serious as he was when he fired spags

I agree. Dont get me wrong, I still think Vilma can help us because he does bring a lot of knowlege, fb iq, leadership to the table, and he can still make plays.

I dont think SP was talking him up for a trade, I think SP genuinly wants to find a way for Vilma to fit in, and I think they will. I just dont think he will be very successful at it. Just like we will scheme to hide his weakness, teams will scheme to exploit it.

I knew I'd get red thumbs for this thread but sometimes you just have to speak your mind even if it's unpopular with a lot of people. No point me lying to be popular.

:grin:

I hope he was kidding, I'm scared of thinking about seeing Vilma in a 3-4

Are you really that scared? I would have thought last years defense would have desensitized you to any fear regarding our defense this year. It's not like it could be any worse.

I'm just looking forward to seeing what hits the field. With or without Vilma. :9:

Are you really that scared? I would have thought last years defense would have desensitized you to any fear regarding our defense this year. It's not like it could be any worse.

I'm just looking forward to seeing what hits the field. With or without Vilma. :9:

I really don't think Payton knows anything about running a 3-4, that's why Rob Ryan needs to have a lot of input

I really don't think Payton knows anything about running a 3-4, that's why Rob Ryan needs to have a lot of input

Considering Payton spent most of his coaching years under Parcells, I'm betting he knows a lot more about how to run A 3-4 defense then most defensive coordinators.

At Dallas and New York, he spent most of his time prepping offenses to go up against the 3-4 in practice.

Maybe talking Vilma up to trade him to the Rams/Titans, or just generally misdirecting?

To my eyes Vilma has been poor for the last couple of years due to injuries, distractions and possibly age.

He looks too small to play ILB in a 3-4 and too slow and too small to be an OLB.

I'm no expert of course but I just don't like the idea of holding onto to a guy who looks to be in terminal decline.

Of course. The difference is that Payton knows what he is talking about and you do not.

It's not about saying something that is popular or unpopular, its about knowing what you are talking about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom