Was there a Landon Turner sighting yesterday? (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
I may have been seeing things because I only got a chance to watch about 5 minutes. But during that time, I thought the camera caught a shot of Landon Turner on the sidelines.

For those who saw the game:

a. was that LT, and if so...

b. how did he do in the game?

Thx.

:gosaints:

I think he's been "active" for a few games this year, but he hasn't played. I want him to be groomed to the a replacement for Jahri, A healthy Armstead next season with Max at Center and Turner at RG and Peat at RT. At that point you're only searching for your starting LG.

During Hightower's TD, the announcer said he was on the field. I didn't see him, but the announcer did call his name out.

He reported as eligible a couple times. Probably because Lelito had to move up to G.

I think he's been "active" for a few games this year, but he hasn't played. I want him to be groomed to the a replacement for Jahri, A healthy Armstead next season with Max at Center and Turner at RG and Peat at RT. At that point you're only searching for your starting LG.

Peat has shown that he is your LG. The experiment to play him out of his natural position on the right side has failed. We need to draft RG and RT or get a guard in free agency and draft a right tackle.

During Hightower's TD, the announcer said he was on the field. I didn't see him, but the announcer did call his name out.

I think he was the eligible receiver on the left side of the line.

I also saw Strief coaching him up on the sideline at one point.

I saw him in as the extra lineman a couple of times and he bulldozed someone on Hightower's TD run.

EDIT: The play I am referring to wasn't the Hightower Td run. I am trying to find it.

I saw him in as the extra lineman a couple of times and he bulldozed someone on Hightower's TD run.
It's what he does. He's a road grader. But not particularly athletic, unfortunately.

If we ever want to get our screen game on point again, we need more athletic OL that can move out in space. Taylor Moton fits that bill quite well. WMU's site profile says he runs a 5 flat 40. In addition to him being a freaking hoss.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When the B gap turns into the F gap. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TaylorMoton?src=hash">#TaylorMoton</a> <a href="https://t.co/B22k368OD1">pic.twitter.com/B22k368OD1</a></p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/801105433079533572">November 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's what he does. He's a road grader. But not particularly athletic, unfortunately.

If we ever want to get our screen game on point again, we need more athletic OL that can move out in space. Taylor Moton fits that bill quite well. WMU's site profile says he runs a 5 flat 40. In addition to him being a freaking hoss.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When the B gap turns into the F gap. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TaylorMoton?src=hash">#TaylorMoton</a> <a href="https://t.co/B22k368OD1">pic.twitter.com/B22k368OD1</a></p>&mdash; Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) <a href="https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/801105433079533572">November 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Camera had to pan completely off screen to keep up with that block...Thats all kinds of awesome!!

LT played yesterday. On Hightowers td run he was one of the first to congratulate him. I hope he sees the field more because if he is as good as advertised (as a draft prospect) he would really help this teams interior.

Think about it, this offseason, we will need 2 news guards (because Peat is a tackle, not a guard), and we need to find a way to get him to that tackle spot and not keep him at guard.

LT played yesterday. On Hightowers td run he was one of the first to congratulate him. I hope he sees the field more because if he is as good as advertised (as a draft prospect) he would really help this teams interior.

Think about it, this offseason, we will need 2 news guards (because Peat is a tackle, not a guard), and we need to find a way to get him to that tackle spot and not keep him at guard.

He was projected to be a 1st round pick at one point.

I don't know what really happened

Deuce said the same of Peat during pre-game, he said that at guard people are stronger and get on him quicker - at tackle he has time to take a step or two before contact

but it doesnt appear RT is working for him in the last 2 preseasons the LT position is becoming interesting

Landon Turner at one guard spot. Get Taylor Moton at the other.

The real issue might be what to do at right tackle. Strief ain't a young man anymore. Hasn't declined and as been very good for us. But planning for the future seems smart to me.

Andrus Peat and Terron Armstead are both left tackles by trade. We tried Peat at right tackle in preseason, but he didn't handle it too well. Likes coming off the line with that left foot behind him. If he can't figure out how to flip his hips, how do we reconcile it?

Do we dare flip Armstead to the other side or keep working on Peat?

The real issue might be what to do at right tackle...

Do we dare flip Armstead to the other side or keep working on Peat?

Don't forget about Avery Young.

STRENGTHS: Big bubble rear that he can sink to help him anchor when being bull* rushed. Has starting experience at both guard spots and right tackle. Shows some lightness of feet. Capable and effective in short-*pull situations as guard. Does a decent job of working feet into position to help secure his block. Athletic enough to operate at guard or tackle as zone blocker.

WEAKNESSES: Has habit of ducking head into blocks. Struggles with changing direction against inside moves. Opens post leg and leans into redirect block rather than stepping back inside to slam the door shut. Balance and body control are below average. Doesn't have agility to gain enough ground with kick slides against edge rushers as tackle. Punch is sluggish and hands too wide. Gives away chest too often.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4 or 5

BOTTOM LINE: The temptation will be to try Young as a right tackle, but his lack of necessary lateral agility could end up getting the quarterback hit too often. Young's athleticism and length are appealing as a guard, but his inability to sustain blocks with body control and power at the point of attack could make him a backup to low*-end starter in the league.

STRENGTHS: Showed versatility for the Tigers, playing both inside and out over this career. That is always a big plus in the NFL, especially as a lineman on either side of the ball. Has terrific size and length. Good straight-line speed and shows the ability to get out of his stance and on top of the defender quickly. He can pull and trap and get to the second level. Was more successful playing guard, and is a better run blocker at this stage who can move his feet. Effective as a zone blocker and showed good awareness at the line of scrimmage. Adept at going one way, putting a hat on a defender with a good initial blow and then completely changing directions and attacking someone else.

WEAKNESSNESS: Certainly has the body type to play tackle, but lacks the short-area quickness and shows stiffness and lack of bend. Has struggled on the outside, especially in pass protection against players with speed, quickness or the combination of the two. He's not as skilled in pass pro as run blocking. Playing on the inside could ultimately benefit Young in the passing game, where there is less space and more traffic.

IN OUR VIEW: Young is suited to play both right tackle and guard at the next level, and that versatility will only enhance his value. This is a good run blocker who struggles against quickness and speed from the opposition. But if he can lock on a defender that defender is going to be in trouble.

Young (6'5/328) made 36 starts on Auburn's offensive line, mostly playing right tackle but also seeing action at both guard spots. He was a third-team All-SEC pick as a senior. Young turned in sluggish pre-draft workouts, managing a 5.39 forty, 25-inch vertical, and slow agility scores. Adequate-not-special as both a run and pass blocker in college, Young's skill set would fit best inside at guard. He could prove useful as a multi-position swing reserve.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom