Question Was there a reason why there were no pass attempts to Cook in the first game? (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I remember thinking somewhere in the 4th quarter of our game against the Vikings that it didn't look like we were going to see Jared Cook get a chance to show his stuff in that game.
Did anyone notice any reason why he didn't get any targets in the game? It would seem like one successful completion to him would have opened up the field quite a bit for as long as he was in the game.
I mean, it's not like he is some sort of "secret weapon". Defenses are going to be on him the moment he steps on the field. I sure would have liked to see some of what he's been showing in training camp.

I wouldn't throw him the ball until preseason week 3, I don't want to give houston anything to look at. The night we play Houston they will be focused on the big 3 then outcomes Cook out of nowhere to scorch them for 140yds to 2tds.

He was in the game early on. In fact he was open in the flat (IIRC) on the missed TD pass to CGM. It appeared that Teddy went to Mike because there was a defender between Cook & the goal line.

He was in for just 13 snaps.

I wouldn't throw him the ball until preseason week 3, I don't want to give houston anything to look at. The night we play Houston they will be focused on the big 3 then outcomes Cook out of nowhere to scorch them for 140yds to 2tds.
While it may be a slight advantage for the Texans to have less tape on him to review, it's not like they won't be focused on Cook no matter how he does in the preseason. He's not the kind of player that will catch teams by surprise.
I'd just like to see him get some pass plays against some game-time competition before the games get real.

The coaches didn't target him just to see if he would throw-a-fit and DEMAND the ball.

Sorry, just talking out my butt. I have no idea why they didn't throw to him, there is a purpose tom everything though.

The coaches didn't target him just to see if he would throw-a-fit and DEMAND the ball.

Sorry, just talking out my butt. I have no idea why they didn't throw to him, there is a purpose tom everything though.
Well, it's not like it's a big deal that he didn't get any targets, but I thought perhaps someone may have seen something that I missed as to why he wasn't utilized (much) in the game. Perhaps the coaches just wanted to see how well he ran his routes even when his number wasn't being called. But I personally was just hoping to see what our new investment was going to look like in action.
I'm sure that will come soon enough. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom