Was there ever a week of worse college games than this past one? (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This has to have been the worst week I can ever remember for good college football games. The current ranking system is awful. Teams should lose ranking points for constantly playing inferior teams. Texas should be rewarded for playing LSU close, but the fact is they would have been better off in the rankings playing South Northwest Tennessee Tech and winning than for losing to LSU.

This week is a bit better, still not great. We get Notre Dame at Georgia. Auburn at Texas A&M and Tennessee at Florida (does that still count as an interesting game?)

I really enjoy college football, but this has been about the worst September I can remember for finding interesting games to watch. Thank goodness for the LSU and Texas game. And you have to give Texas A&M props for playing Clemson and to Auburn and Oregon too.

They need to figure out a way to better give incentives to teams who play tough schedules.

This has to have been the worst week I can ever remember for good college football games. The current ranking system is awful. Teams should lose ranking points for constantly playing inferior teams. Texas should be rewarded for playing LSU close, but the fact is they would have been better off in the rankings playing South Northwest Tennessee Tech and winning than for losing to LSU.

This week is a bit better, still not great. We get Notre Dame at Georgia. Auburn at Texas A&M and Tennessee at Florida (does that still count as an interesting game?)

I really enjoy college football, but this has been about the worst September I can remember for finding interesting games to watch. Thank goodness for the LSU and Texas game. And you have to give Texas A&M props for playing Clemson and to Auburn and Oregon too.

They need to figure out a way to better give incentives to teams who play tough schedules.
I completely agree. LAst week was atrocious, but those types of weeks have become a little too common.

We gave up our Tennessee season tickets a few years ago for a variety of reasons - the to biggest being how bad we were but also that half or more of our games were crap. I don't like to pay what amounts to (with "donations") and everything $200+ a ticket to watch Tennessee play Western Kentucky and South Alabama.

I

Tennessee at Florida (does that still count as an interesting game?)

I remember a while back that the UF/UT game was one of the best of the year. The winner of that game usually won the SECE. That was back when the winner of the LSU/AU game would win the SECW.

I remember a while back that the UF/UT game was one of the best of the year. The winner of that game usually won the SECE. That was back when the winner of the LSU/AU game would win the SECW.
Since CBS started their present incarnation of the SEC on CBS with the 1996 season this will be only the third time the Tenneseee-Florida game is not the CBS game.

This game has lost a tremendous amount of its lustre and importance - as has pretty much every game Tennessee plays in nowadays.

Since CBS started their present incarnation of the SEC on CBS with the 1996 season this will be only the third time the Tenneseee-Florida game is not the CBS game.

This game has lost a tremendous amount of its lustre and importance - as has pretty much every game Tennessee plays in nowadays.

These things can go in cycles, but Tennessee has sure been in a very long down cycle after letting Fulmer go.

It reminds me of when LSU let Charlie McClendon go. McClendon had good success at LSU, but eventually was fired for playing second fiddle to Alabama so long. LSU fans concluded "anyone" could win at LSU. Twenty years of mediocrity followed until Saban was hired in 2000.

But LSU did come back and I assume Tennessee eventually will too. Tennessee being down has hurt LSU as well, and other SEC West teams.

Auburn has Georgia as a permanent East opponent, LSU has Florida and Alabama has Tennessee. There was a time when that was fair, now Bama gets a pretty easy win while LSU and Auburn have a tough East opponent most every year.

The SEC is better when Tennessee is better, so I hope they pull out of it soon. LSU had some really dark times with Curley Hallman, so I know how it feels. Tennessee fans are finding out, like LSU fans did, that not just any coach can come in and win consistently like McClendon and Fulmer did.

These things can go in cycles, but Tennessee has sure been in a very long down cycle after letting Fulmer go.

It reminds me of when LSU let Charlie McClendon go. McClendon had good success at LSU, but eventually was fired for playing second fiddle to Alabama so long. LSU fans concluded "anyone" could win at LSU. Twenty years of mediocrity followed until Saban was hired in 2000.

But LSU did come back and I assume Tennessee eventually will too. Tennessee being down has hurt LSU as well, and other SEC West teams.

Auburn has Georgia as a permanent East opponent, LSU has Florida and Alabama has Tennessee. There was a time when that was fair, now Bama gets a pretty easy win while LSU and Auburn have a tough East opponent most every year.

The SEC is better when Tennessee is better, so I hope they pull out of it soon. LSU had some really dark times with Curley Hallman, so I know how it feels. Tennessee fans are finding out, like LSU fans did, that not just any coach can come in and win consistently like McClendon and Fulmer did.
I didn't intend to make this about Tennessee because I think there is an interesting discussion to be had about scheduling in college football today.
But, Tennessee has had really big issues across the board. Not only football coaches, but the AD and his office, and also the Chancellor, President, and boosters. Seemingly people not on the same page, some jealous of football and/or wanting to de-emphasize sports to some degree, this crazy (although admirable) idea of making Tennessee a top 20 state institution and relying on football to help pay for it - I could go on and on. Jimmy Haslam has been a problem, he is our biggest booster and has been the main force behind many of our stupidest moves.
I'll stop and just say there is some evidence that we are turning a corner - the Schiano thing was something like bringing sunlight onto something in desperate need of disinfectant, but there are still miles and miles and miles to go for everyone to really be on board and headed in the right direction.

I didn't intend to make this about Tennessee because I think there is an interesting discussion to be had about scheduling in college football today.
But, Tennessee has had really big issues across the board. Not only football coaches, but the AD and his office, and also the Chancellor, President, and boosters. Seemingly people not on the same page, some jealous of football and/or wanting to de-emphasize sports to some degree, this crazy (although admirable) idea of making Tennessee a top 20 state institution and relying on football to help pay for it - I could go on and on. Jimmy Haslam has been a problem, he is our biggest booster and has been the main force behind many of our stupidest moves.
I'll stop and just say there is some evidence that we are turning a corner - the Schiano thing was something like bringing sunlight onto something in desperate need of disinfectant, but there are still miles and miles and miles to go for everyone to really be on board and headed in the right direction.

I hope they are turning the corner Jim. Tennessee has a rich football tradition and I think a good Tennessee team makes SEC football, and college football in general, better. I think it’s a cycle. And I think they have had a lot of bad luck at the head coaching spot.

Lane Kiffin screwed himself and Tennessee bad and that was a real setback. He is an idiot. He had everything he needed at Tennessee, he just turned out to be a selfish and immature jerk. He had coaching talent though, what a waste.

I can't think of anything more unfair than the permanent opponent thing. Every freakin' year LSU has to deal with Florida. Regardless of the coach, the Gators will always have one of the most talented rosters in the nation. Meanwhile, Bama gets to take a day off of practice the week they play Tennessee. It's just not fair.

I can't think of anything more unfair than the permanent opponent thing. Every freakin' year LSU has to deal with Florida. Regardless of the coach, the Gators will always have one of the most talented rosters in the nation. Meanwhile, Bama gets to take a day off of practice the week they play Tennessee. It's just not fair.
While I understand your feelings in principle, in the case of this season it could work out well for the Tigers.
When the playoff committee starts examining the win/loss records of the top teams along with their strength of schedule, there's little doubt that a win over Florida will boost a team's rankings with the committee A LOT MORE than a Bama win over Tennessee.

On the flip side, Alabama knows that as long as they keep mauling all the cupcake teams on their schedule this year AND take down LSU & Auburn, they will be in the Final Four. So Bama only has two real teams to prepare for this year until they have to meet Georgia in the SEC Championship game. And if they lose a close one to the Bulldogs, the chances are good that they will still make the playoffs.

So for us, it all boils down to whether we are good enough to beat all the Top 10 teams that we will face this year (which could possibly be 4 teams by the time we face them.)
But if we don't beat the first one (Florida), it really doesn't matter how the rest of the season goes. We'll likely be eliminated from contention unless we can take it to Bama after that loss.

I would hate to lose UF on the schedule. It's a recruiting draw and helps improve the schedule with no effort. Plus, both schools genuinely do not like each other so it's always a great game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom