Washington Redskins announce they'll retire team name and logo (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 1/4 Cherokee... A card carrying member of the Cherokee Nation, I have an official CDIB card, and my family name appears on the Dawes Rolls...

I never considered the name to be offensive or a racial slur... I didn't necessarily think it was in good taste, but I was never offended by it... Nor am I offended by the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, etc.

But that's just me... I am sure it offended some other people.

Personally - This news doesn't impact me in any way, and it doesn't illicit any emotional response from me... I am neither for or against it really....

I just wonder where the line gets drawn on this type of pressure?

Do Atheists, Non-Catholics, etc. get to be offended enough to make the Saints name disappear? Do dwarfs become overly offended by the Giants name-sake? Do vegans go after the Cowboys? Are Old-Timey Gold prospectors going to be offended enough to get the 49ers to change their name? Do we let PETA get rid of them all? (only half joking obviously)

Do Atheists, Non-Catholics, etc. get to be offended enough to make the Saints name disappear? Do dwarfs become overly offended by the Giants name-sake? Do vegans go after the Cowboys? Are Old-Timey Gold prospectors going to be offended enough to get the 49ers to change their name? Do we let PETA get rid of them all? (only half joking obviously)
s6uAXTZ-HJoVa_NDTkTUQm5Q4TA0t7G8QfJpG8Of9ze0kq26E-Zfk19Cm5AcIwQ5dMhs4pxWpQGXDJzKeHGlSNLEDodA-hJYcNl9lYMSev5SnFjSu3MGgj-X0Ii3UedRYCe_xrfHoQCkSTpNhSLss6nQdBML_iQX

I am 1/4 Cherokee... A card carrying member of the Cherokee Nation, I have an official CDIB card, and my family name appears on the Dawes Rolls...

I never considered the name to be offensive or a racial slur... I didn't necessarily think it was in good taste, but I was never offended by it... Nor am I offended by the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, etc.

But that's just me... I am sure it offended some other people.

Personally - This news doesn't impact me in any way, and it doesn't illicit any emotional response from me... I am neither for or against it really....

I just wonder where the line gets drawn on this type of pressure?

"Redskin" has had negative connotations since the early 1900s. We've just gotten used to it in our vocabulary just because we are football followers and/or are used to hearing the name, and also because sadly societal norms back in the day conditioned many to not care about what offends that particular group of people (amongst many others). It has always offended that group.

Looking at it through the lenses of the people that are offended by the term, it is really no different than if they were called the Washington Darkies or Washington Coons.

Unlike "Redskins," "Chiefs" is not a racial slur.

At the risk of getting another slapdown, here goes.

The name 'Redskins' is NOT a racial slur.

The name was changed to honor the teams HC, William Henry Dietz, who was a Native American. He said multiple times during his life when asked, that he was proud of the name, as were several other Native Americans who were players at the time.

Many, MANY polls done over the years show that the overwhelming majority of Native Americans are proud of the name. This whole thing is being driven by guilty, woke white liberals, and this is what happens when you allow a herd of emotionally-stunted children to gain control of social steering trends.

For your further edification and education, I point you to the following short program.

At the risk of getting another slapdown, here goes.

The name 'Redskins' is NOT a racial slur.

The name was changed to honor the teams HC, William Henry Dietz, who was a Native American. He said multiple times during his life when asked, that he was proud of the name, as were several other Native Americans who were players at the time.

Many, MANY polls done over the years show that the overwhelming majority of Native Americans are proud of the name. This whole thing is being driven by guilty, woke white liberals, and this is what happens when you allow a herd of emotionally-stunted children to gain control of social steering trends.

For your further edification and education, I point you to the following short program.

That was a sad day in 'Murica, when a person thought a racial slur was an honor.

Because of the stereotypical way the symbolism is portrayed.... The name itself isn't offense to Native Americans (at least the ones I know)

I'm sure the living descendants of the Vikings (Danes, Norwegians, Swedes, etc) aren't running around with horn helmets and pelt coats anymore... but they are still portrayed that way as a stereotypical NFL mascot... Same goes for living descendants of Native Americans... we don't walk around in feathered head dress or buffalo hide clothes either.

And while that portrayal may or may not be historically accurate in either instance - and It's not offensive to me specifically - It's also not necessarily in good taste either...

We could argue that NFL cheerleader selection processes, outfits and dance routines are also not in good taste... but are they really offensive, and where do we draw a line? Or is there a line at all?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom