Washington Redskins announce they'll retire team name and logo (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Atheists, Non-Catholics, etc. get to be offended enough to make the Saints name disappear? Do dwarfs become overly offended by the Giants name-sake? Do vegans go after the Cowboys? Are Old-Timey Gold prospectors going to be offended enough to get the 49ers to change their name? Do we let PETA get rid of them all? (only half joking obviously)

Cowboys is actually kind of a racial slur. White cattle owners were called ranchers while African American cattle owners were called cowboys.

Mexicans cattle ranchers are vaqueros

Spanish word for Cow = Vaca

But yes, and that was what I was getting at....

The term Cowboy is a derogatory term to Mexicans cattle ranchers (vaqueros) and their descendants... and using their likeness as a mascot is sickening... because.... well, I just said it is... (Satire Implied)

I demand we remove the term Cowboy from our vocabulary, and Jerrah Jones be made to change the team name to something more gentle and in line with team performance.... like the Dallas Tumble Weeds.... (joking, but not really)

So what is that supposed to prove exactly? That perhaps the word was used without malice a handful of times, or as a self-identifier during a time when there was a language barrier/limited English vocabulary? When was the last time the word was used in that context? 200-300 years ago?

what about the millions of times it has been used derogatorily? What about the countless written examples of it being used to refer to scalps or trophies to prove the killing of a native American, which would be exchanged for money?

Like Goddard's colleague at the Smithsonian, and director of the National Museum of the American Indian, Kevin Gover, said. "I'm really not that interested in where the word comes from. I know how it was used. And it's been used in a disparaging way for at least a couple of centuries. Up to and including the time I was growing up in Oklahoma." (Gover is a citizen of the Pawnee Tribe of Oklahoma)

Maybe it is for the Native Americans that were (rightfully) offended by it.
Probably not anything that makes anyone's day-to-day better, but as a singular event the action to change the name in and of itself might make someone (or a group of people) feel more respected in some way. Just my thoughts.

I’m sure that everyone will be happy now. When all the statues are gone and all the names that people deem racist have been removed your life will be better. What happens if you aren’t and you have just been using those things to justify your own pity party? Will you then admit that those things weren’t what was holding you back and get motivated to do what is necessary to give you the life you want? Or will you look for another thing to hang onto as an excuse for your lack of self esteem?

I don’t want to here any excuses from anyone on this. I have worked around almost every race of people on this planet. I am white and some of the worse people I have been around are white people. I have seen kind people from all races and have very close friends from several different races. I was blessed with parents who were very different for their time. I grew up in south Mississippi during the late 60’s and 70’s. But my dad had several friends that were black and I got use to him inviting guys he worked with and their families over to our house to eat. When my dad passed away 4 of the 6 pallbearers at his funeral were black.

I really wish that we could just take the time to appreciate the fact that in many ways we are different but in the most important things we are all alike. I am a Christian and for me when we die God won’t judge us by the color of our skin but instead he will judge us by the beauty of our souls.

New Name Odds

I like the Generals and the Redtails, they mention that “Dan Snyder and coach Ron Rivera have both expressed a desire to have a team name honoring the military”

The top 5 names in the article:
1. Redtails
2. Generals
3. Presidents
4. Lincolns
5. Veterans

apparently someone a few years ago, snatched up all kinds of potential names

They'll be going after KC next...
Some years ago one of the activists trying to get Washington to change the name did in fact say that once they succeeded, KC was next. Doesn't matter that Chiefs isn't a slur, they don't want ANY use of Native American symbols or such as nicknames/mascots.

Don't need another white-washed history lesson to make it all better, sorry. I've seen enough of that in school growing up.

This isn't some isolated thing, and the bottom line, it is a team name based off of a racial/skin color connotation. It's time to move past it.

Do I care if the Redskins change their name? Of course not, they're going to stink no matter what they're called. What I fight against is the insane political correctness movement and this march to socially engineer everything.

Some years ago one of the activists trying to get Washington to change the name did in fact say that once they succeeded, KC was next. Doesn't matter that Chiefs isn't a slur, they don't want ANY use of Native American symbols or such as nicknames/mascots.

They'll be coming for us eventually, the final goal of this crazy Antiracism cult is the destruction of Christianity, and what's more emblematic of that than the name Saints?

I’m curious how many people on here who have issue with the term Redskin, are actually of a significant Indian decent.

I’m 1/16th Cherokee from one side and 1/32 Comanche from another. Have never known anyone to be offended by the mascot of the NFL team in Washington DC.
I mostly know Choctaws now.

Also, the logo for the Choctaw school is nearly identical to the logo of the Skins. They are called the Warriors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom