Washington Redskins announce they'll retire team name and logo (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m curious how many people on here who have issue with the term Redskin, are actually of a significant Indian decent.

I’m 1/16th Cherokee from one side and 1/32 Comanche from another. Have never known anyone to be offended by the mascot of the NFL team in Washington DC.
I mostly know Choctaws now.

Also, the logo for the Choctaw school is nearly identical to the logo of the Skins. They are called the Warriors.

Wokeness: Being shocked by history that society already knows and has moved past and then screaming at everyone about how we have to "fix" it. Congratulations, you managed to open a text book in college.

Wokeness: Being shocked by history that society already knows and has moved past and then screaming at everyone about how we have to "fix" it. Congratulations, you managed to open a text book in college.
Huh?

I’m curious how many people on here who have issue with the term Redskin, are actually of a significant Indian decent.

I’m 1/16th Cherokee from one side and 1/32 Comanche from another. Have never known anyone to be offended by the mascot of the NFL team in Washington DC.
I mostly know Choctaws now.

Also, the logo for the Choctaw school is nearly identical to the logo of the Skins. They are called the Warriors.
so only if i'm arab could i object to a team being called the towelheads or such?

You know what? When an update to a news item happens, it is possible to not rehash the original argument or bring up every other gripe you have with related items.

Never said such a thing. I’m saying you don’t have the right to tell people what should offend them, when they don’t find it offensive.
In 1972, a delegation of Native Americans met with the team’s president, Edward Bennett Williams, to lobby not only for a name change, but also to register objections to some of the team’s other racist Native American representations. Among other things, they asked that lyrics in the team’s fight be changed and that the cheerleading squad stop wearing black braided wigs.

and next i'm sure you will post about the (oppfunded) poll that showed 9 of 10 native americans did not find the terms offense
and then i will show you the pollsters pointing out the issues with that poll and then i will post the one showing 67% of those who strongly identify as native americans do, in fact, object

New Name Odds

I like the Generals and the Redtails, they mention that “Dan Snyder and coach Ron Rivera have both expressed a desire to have a team name honoring the military”

The top 5 names in the article:
1. Redtails
2. Generals
3. Presidents
4. Lincolns
5. Veterans
The best one i’ve heard that honors the military/veterans AND Native Americans is the Code Talkers.

All you people that think this is good.. just wait until they come for the Saints because it has ties to Christianity... You should look into why they were named the Redskins... wasn't offensive at all.

Never said such a thing. I’m saying you don’t have the right to tell people what should offend them, when they don’t find it offensive.

Many native people of this land do find it offensive and have led the charge for the team to change the name for decades. Does it honestly matter what the percentage is? For the sake of this point, let's say 1 in 5 indigenous people find the name offensive - is it worth fighting to protect a racially derived name that offends 20% of that population when there are any number of other options that could have been used, and can be used today?

If the name is an honor, if you were meeting the residents of a reservation for the first time, would it seem fitting to say what an honor it is to be among those redskin people? Or might that seem inappropriate to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom