Washington Redskins announce they'll retire team name and logo (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure that everyone will be happy now. When all the statues are gone and all the names that people deem racist have been removed your life will be better. What happens if you aren’t and you have just been using those things to justify your own pity party? Will you then admit that those things weren’t what was holding you back and get motivated to do what is necessary to give you the life you want? Or will you look for another thing to hang onto as an excuse for your lack of self esteem?

I don’t want to here any excuses from anyone on this. I have worked around almost every race of people on this planet. I am white and some of the worse people I have been around are white people. I have seen kind people from all races and have very close friends from several different races. I was blessed with parents who were very different for their time. I grew up in south Mississippi during the late 60’s and 70’s. But my dad had several friends that were black and I got use to him inviting guys he worked with and their families over to our house to eat. When my dad passed away 4 of the 6 pallbearers at his funeral were black.

I really wish that we could just take the time to appreciate the fact that in many ways we are different but in the most important things we are all alike. I am a Christian and for me when we die God won’t judge us by the color of our skin but instead he will judge us by the beauty of our souls.

Let me sum this up.

I've enjoyed white privilege blah blah blah blah...I don't want to try to understand what other races go through in the country that has given me so much privilege....blah blah blah...I know black people....blah blah...God.

Stop trying to tell people how they should feel about the experiences they've had that you have never lived. This is the type of person that tells a woman that her period can't be that bad because he used to have leg cramps playing football in high school and it was never THAT bad.

Never said such a thing. I’m saying you don’t have the right to tell people what should offend them, when they don’t find it offensive.

Many (many) Native Americans have found this offensive and disrespectful for a long time. The fact that so many people tuned them out or didn't care does not change that fact. I'm trying really hard not to speak too harshly about this, but at this point, the false equivalencies and willful ignorance/misinformation about this subject are just gross and inexcusable.

And honestly, even if not a single Native American person ever said a thing about it, would it really be so wrong for someone to think, you know what, maybe it's a little insensitive and disrespectful to rub the faces of a historically mistreated and marginalized group of people (to put it REALLY mildly) in a name that conjures up stories of them being robbed and scalped for money, and racist stereotypes? All because we (checks notes) like football and don't like to change it.

It's an objectively terrible name. And changing it is super easy and won't really hurt the team, owners, or the fans. Who cares WHY it is being changed? It should change and it will be.

The people trying to change and erase history are the people that erected most of those Treason/Loser statues. We are just finally correcting their mistake.

Same with the Redskins name. It is clearly long overdue. You snowflakes crying about this should head to your nearest reservation and call the people you see there 'redskin' to their faces. Let me know how that goes, lol.

Do I care if the Redskins change their name? Of course not, they're going to stink no matter what they're called. What I fight against is the insane political correctness movement and this march to socially engineer everything.

Oh, you mean the very thing that got us into these predicaments in the first place? If anything, these movements are an attempt to reverse-socially engineer things.

If the Atlanta Braves change their name, I'm done.
You may be too young to remember, but in 1983 the Braves removed their mascot, Chief Knockahoma, and his teepee from the Left Field stands.

He was so upset about it that he claimed to have put a curse on the team. They lost something like 13 games in a row and a total of 19 out of 21 before putting them both back in the stadium.

Can’t remember exactly how or why he was removed for good, but it seems like it was political pressure. I went to a few games there as a kid and can remember the excitement seeing him in action for the first time.

Back then the Braves were the only nationally broadcast team in the country. Just about every sports fan could name their starting lineup. I could probably still do it.

Brett Butler - CF
Rafael Ramirez - SS
Dale Murphy - LF
Bob Horner - 3B
Chris Chambliss - 1B
Claudell Washington -RF
Glenn Hubbard - 2B
Bruce Benedict - C

You may be too young to remember, but in 1983 the Braves removed their mascot, Chief Knockahoma, and his teepee from the Left Field stands.

He was so upset about it that he claimed to have put a curse on the team. They lost something like 13 games in a row and a total of 19 out of 21 before putting them both back in the stadium.

Can’t remember exactly how or why he was removed for good, but it seems like it was political pressure. I went to a few games there as a kid and can remember the excitement seeing him in action for the first time.

Back then the Braves were the only nationally broadcast team in the country. Just about every sports fan could name their starting lineup. I could probably still do it.

Brett Butler - CF
Rafael Ramirez - SS
Dale Murphy - LF
Bob Horner - 3B
Chris Chambliss - 1B
Claudell Washington -RF
Glenn Hubbard - 2B
Bruce Benedict - C

Seriously?! Curses? Trying to pretend that there was some sort of honor or dignity about an actor/mascot (who wasn’t even originally portrayed by a Native American actor) called “chief knock a homer” and his wife, “princess win a lotta”? That’s what we are stooping to at this point to justify clinging to a horrible name that won’t hurt anyone when it is changed?

I’ll also help you save some time and clear up yet ANOTHER one of your bits or revisionist histories and false claims.

The Braves got rid of the “chief” due to disagreements about missed dates, pay, and how many more seats they could sell without his teepee being set up. So you can cool it with the curses and political pressure nonsense.

Let me sum this up.

I've enjoyed white privilege blah blah blah blah...I don't want to try to understand what other races go through in the country that has given me so much privilege....blah blah blah...I know black people....blah blah...God.

Stop trying to tell people how they should feel about the experiences they've had that you have never lived. This is the type of person that tells a woman that her period can't be that bad because he used to have leg cramps playing football in high school and it was never THAT bad.
I have never had privilege of any kind. I had to work full time while I went to college that I paid for by the way without handouts from the government or even my parents. Everything I have I bought with money I worked my arse off for. The privileges that you enjoy comes from generations of my family fighting in wars for it so when you say I enjoy privilege that this country has given me just be clear that privilege was payed for in the blood of men in my family. White privilege is a phrase used by this young “woke” crowd and is total bs. There is no one alive today that either was a slave or owned slaves. The only people that are being held back in today’s society are the ones from all races who are just too damn lazy to work for what they want.

In the days before the Panthers were born, I worked in Eastern North Carolina. We had agricultural operations throughout the region and in one county, Robeson, there was a high population of Lumbees...a Native American tribe. We employed several hundred on our farms and at the meat processing plant. By and large, they were proud Redskins fans and it used to irritate the sheet out of me when they were winning. Wondering how they feel today?

Seriously?! Curses? Trying to pretend that there was some sort of honor or dignity about an actor/mascot (who wasn’t even originally portrayed by a Native American actor) called “chief knock a homer” and his wife, “princess win a lotta”? That’s what we are stooping to at this point to justify clinging to a horrible name that won’t hurt anyone when it is changed?

I’ll also help you save some time and clear up yet ANOTHER one of your bits or revisionist histories and false claims.

The Braves got rid of the “chief” due to disagreements about missed dates, pay, and how many more seats they could sell without his teepee being set up. So you can cool it with the curses and political pressure nonsense.
holy sheet you just got full triggered over me sharing a harmless story about memories of the Braves.
And you are wrong, they were pressured to get rid of him in ‘85 due to political correctness. Not for more seats. He was a beloved mascot . You are reading revised facts. Your name is fitting.

holy sheet you just got full triggered over me sharing a harmless story about memories of the Braves.
And you are wrong, they were pressured to get rid of him in ‘85 due to political correctness. Not for more seats. He was a beloved mascot . You are reading revised facts. Your name is fitting.

So the New York Times revised the facts in real time?

The name needed to change period. It's offensive to many indigenous people. On top of that, do your research. The Washington NFL franchise has a terrible history of racism that compounds the matter further. Their founder and owner for much of the franchise's history, George Preston Marshall, was an avowed racist that led the pushed the NFL to segregate the league and steadfastly refused to allow blacks to play. He embraced the Confederacy and all racist southern traditions. That franchise doesn't get a pass for not intentionally meaning to use a racial slur. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom