Watch recommendations (1 Viewer)

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I'm in the market for a nice mens watch. I haven't worn a watch on my wrist for over twenty five years, but I think I want one to "look cool" when dressing up a bit. There are an infinite amount of choices out there, so I thought I'd poll my peeps. Looking for style, not necessarily function. What cha got?

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What I've always been curious about is if the Weils, Hublots etc of the watch world require the same maintenance as a Rolex.

I just got mine back from "service" for the ripe price of $925.

Just so it will keep time.

I did same as you... Closed a large account and rewarded myself. Little did I know that every 5 years it would require servicing.

Love the watch... Submariner... Sleek and simple. But there are so many options nowadays, I wouldn't drop 6k on a Rolex. I think partly due to my taste has changed to more simple yet elegant

And kids lol
I have the Explorer II, white face 42mm. It's my everyday watch and I love it. I'm not familiar with this $925 5-year servicing though! I have had it for about three.

Zardnok

Zardnokalicious!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What I've always been curious about is if the Weils, Hublots etc of the watch world require the same maintenance as a Rolex.

I just got mine back from "service" for the ripe price of $925.

Just so it will keep time.

I did same as you... Closed a large account and rewarded myself. Little did I know that every 5 years it would require servicing.

Love the watch... Submariner... Sleek and simple. But there are so many options nowadays, I wouldn't drop 6k on a Rolex. I think partly due to my taste has changed to more simple yet elegant

And kids lol
I have worn the same Rolex for over 30 years. It has been serviced once two years ago to replace the band and crystal and they also replaced some parts internally they deemed needed replaced. Total bill for the repair was $1k. Considering it has lived on my wrist as long as it has, I would say it was money well spent.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We're four pages in and no one has mentioned Jomashop? What gives?

Thanks for the input. I had not really looked around before posting.....looks like there are a lot of options at widely varying prices. I was thinking $1000 max, but it looks like thats being really cheap!!! lol

I think I should save up some more & purchase a good watch after I have a few grand! 25K ain't happenin' for a dude from Back Vacherie!
$1000 is fine. Save up to $2000 and you can get something REALLY nice. I have a couple of Longines watches that I have really enjoyed for the last few years. They are high quality with Swiss made movements. That is something you need to consider in the quality department. Swiss made movements are considered the highest quality and usually bring the best value. Try to get an automatic or manual movement if you can but quartz is fine from a collector standpoint. Quartz is also considered more accurate over time since it uses a battery. I have a Longines HydroConquest that I really like and it's only $1400 on Jomashop. It's got a Swiss made automatic movement.

The only thing about Jomashop is that they are not an authorized distributor of many of the brands they sell. They will honor the warranty but you have to send the watch to them if it is broken. They've got a pretty decent reputation to my knowledge. I've been very happy with them. Also, these Swiss watches tend to not break.

I'm also eyeballing a Breitling but last I checked, they don't actually make their own movements. They are still Swiss Made but not in their own shop. However I haven't looked into this for a few years. I still like the style. I also like Tag Heuer, Rolex, and Grand Seiko. Speaking of Grand Seiko, that is the exception to the rule on movements. Grand Seiko may be better than any Swiss movement out there.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have worn the same Rolex for over 30 years. It has been serviced once two years ago to replace the band and crystal and they also replaced some parts internally they deemed needed replaced. Total bill for the repair was $1k. Considering it has lived on my wrist as long as it has, I would say it was money well spent.
is it submariner? maybe its my model? IDK but i purchased in 2004 and have had it serviced 3 times now.

I remember the cat at Adlers tellin me it was "imperative" i service it regularly- so maybe the Submariner requires more- idfk.

Dont get me wrong- its a fantastic time piece. Can be worn dressed up or down. But i just cringe when i notice its no longer keeping time regularly, because i know what that means.

And of course today, i would never drop 6k on a watch - maybe when the girls have graduated college lol. But by that time, its going to be my A7.

Hopeless

All-Pro
Reaction score
I have a few, mostly leaning towards Japanese automatic stuff, but a couple Swiss and Russian pieces as well.

Budget is certainly a factor.

the 300+/- was always my sweet spot.

The Seiko Presage SRPB41 Cocktail Time, Seiko SKX009, and Seiko SRPC93 "Save the Ocean" Samurai on aftermarket bracelets are my primary rotations right now.

However, I made the mistake not too long ago of stepping into a store in Houston that carried Tudor, and now my watch budget is on hold as i slowly piece together the funds for a Black Bay.

Reaction score
A general word of advice to the OP - I check a site called touchofmodern.com every day. They always have some sort of luxury watch post, often with several different manufacturers. The prices are usually decent too, but mainly you might want to put it on your website rotation for the next month or so just to get a good idea of what's out there and what the ranges of prices might look like for different brands and models.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom