Watch: Saints coach puts Irv Smith Jr. through pro day workout (2 Viewers)

I never saw Smith play football in high school, though I did see him play basketball, thought him a terrific athlete, and wondered why LSU was not pursuing him hard.

I was expecting slightly better combine results from Smith, so he might last to the second round. But he is not going to last to the bottom of the second round when we select. If we had our first round pick, I could see him being an option at 30.

He would be a major addition to the Saints. He is exactly what we need and have needed for some time.

Payton wasn’t running the drills though, nor was he even physically there.

Kamara had to text him video of some routes Payton wanted to see
Well, that's wrong. Payton most certainly was physically there. The story of him working out Kamara personally was all over the 'net. Here's a couple of confirmations of that.

Payton said he first noticed Kamara's intelligence when he and other Saints coaches -- including offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael -- held a private workout with him in Knoxville leading up to the draft.

The Saints had a close look at Kamara during Tennessee's Pro Day workout, but it took a little prompting because the then-draft prospect appeared content to stand by his Combine numbers. "I said I want to see you do some things here, stuff that we do," Payton said, "and fortunately for him he ran in and put his cleats on and came back out."

Payton then put Kamara through a variety or receiver routes and catching punts, all of which left a lasting impression on the Saints head coach.

I never saw Smith play football in high school, though I did see him play basketball, thought him a terrific athlete, and wondered why LSU was not pursuing him hard.

I was expecting slightly better combine results from Smith, so he might last to the second round. But he is not going to last to the bottom of the second round when we select. If we had our first round pick, I could see him being an option at 30.

He would be a major addition to the Saints. He is exactly what we need and have needed for some time.
I may be wrong, but I remember hearing that LSU didn’t see him as a TE. They wanted him to play defense, if I’m not mistaken. Just like they didn’t see Dak Prescott as a QB.

Irv Smith Jr. is on the small end for a TE in today's NFL. I would prefer a taller, bigger body starting for us at that position.
This is the new wave of TEs in the NFL. Guys that are 250-ish that are athletic and can play in the slot and such. Strong and big enough to bully CBS and fast enough to elude LBs. All about mismatches

We've seen Payton/Loomis trade into the first round before for a player that they really like (see Mark Ingram), so it wouldn't be a problem for them to do it again. I don't know if Irv Smith is worth trading for but if the team loves him... they'll move up to get him. He's a local kid and his pops wore the uniform, so they may know more about Smith than they do about most of the prospects. Plus Smith is a position of dire need.

Ive seen/heard a few draft evaluators, namely DJ & Corey Chavous, liken Irv Jr to Delanie Walker & i think that’s pretty on point. Both dudes are 6’2ish & mismatch nightmares in the receiving game. As for us drafting him, i seriously doubt he’ll fall out the 1st RD, let alone the top 40. I personally dont think he’ll get past the Pats at 32. If Irv Jr’s our guy, we’ll have to move up to & get him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom