Watched some tape on Jarvis Jones, Mingo, and Ziggy Ansah (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I finally got around to really sitting down and watching tape on these 3 prospects. Im trying to do 3 a day. I've watched a little tape here and there on these guys, but this time I really focused and took notes. I am no scout, but these are just my opinions.

Jarvis Jones OLB, Georgia
Games watched: vs. Alabama, vs Auburn, vs Florida, vs S. Carolina

The Good: Explosion of the snap. This guy comes off the snap fast and furious. Pretty good strength for his size. Engages blockers well, rarely ever gets pushed backwards. Comes around the edge wickedly fast. Decent hand usage. Fast feet. He is a gamer, he will go for the ball and try to force fumble. Definitely a playmaker. He is a hard worker on the field, especially when it comes to getting to the QB.

The Bad: Not very good against the run. Gets over powered by linemen. Seems to lose focus at times he is so focus at going after the QB. He is OK at shedding blocks but not great, definitely needs work. He will need to add some bulk in the pro level. When runs go away from him he tends to give up on them. Sure, he does not have a good chance of making an impact on that play but who knows. I like to see that hustle.

NFL Projection: He is definitely and OLB in a 3-4 scheme without a doubt. But I foresee him as a nickel rusher in his first one or 2 seasons. He will have to get better vs the run if he wants to get on the field more. Will need to study more and learn snap counts, tendencies and things like that for him to know when runs or passes or coming. Will need to get stronger to handle NFL tackles.

Jarvis Jones | Draft Breakdown

Barkevious Mingo OLB, LSU
Games Watched: vs. GA, Auburn, Miss St 2011, vs Clemson, vs S. Carolina

The Good: Wow. This guy is fun to watch. I'm not big into CFB but I've watched LSU and this guy has always stood out. The first thing you notice is his explosion off the snap. Sometimes I swear he is not off sides, but he is so fast off the the snap you cant tell. This guy flies!! Very good at the point of attack. Gets physical and has a nice assortment of moves. He has a high motor and is relentless. Never gives up on a play be it run or pass. He lays the wood if he gets the QB also. Solid against the run, very good against the pass. One thing I like is he seems coach-able. Watching his 2011 tape vs 2012 you could see a world of difference when it comes to diagnosing plays and getting himself in position. This guy is a playmaker without a doubt.

The Bad: He can be had in the run game. He can get overpowered by OL due to his size. He does his best to battle through it but sometimes its just too much. Still seems somewhat raw, but he has the ability to learn and be coached. He needs to get some bulk and better lower body strength. He needs to get better at learning when to whip his spin move. Must have been 50 times I see him spin then just get pushed out of the way. He also over pursues on runs. This guy missed out on about 10 sacks and 15 TFL's if he just took better angles. Arm tackles sometimes, which causes him to miss tackles.

NFL Projection: Pass rushing OLB. I can see him immediately making an impact. Will probably start of as a part time player but he seems to have the ability to learn from his mistakes. Needs a little coaching up on some of the fundamentals but he is a true athlete and should have good career in the NFL.

Barkevious Mingo | Draft Breakdown

Ezekiel Ansah OLB/DE BYU

Games Watched: vs Notre Dame, vs Wash. St., Vs. Boise, vs GA Tech

The Good: I've tried not to like this kid. I really have. I first got turned on to him by reading draft boards and seeing people comparing him to JPP. I skimmed through the tape and felt he was a good prospect. Then I heard during the Senior Bowl practices he was underwhelming and seemed to be thinking too much. Then I heard respected DL coach Greg Robinson praise him. Then I heard scouts say he is too raw. Then I see the Senior Bowl game and he simply dominates! Leads in tackles, TFL's, 1.5 sacks, forced fumble. pass defense. Geez, kids an animal. So I said I need to back to the tape and trust my eyes. What I see is a very raw athlete who is dominant and relentless and truly is a football player that does not know he is yet. He looks like a man among boys with BYU. First the used him in a 4 point stance as 5-tech and 3 tech. He had success at these position. Always drives blockers back, pretty good and shedding blocks. Super long arms and wing span. GREAT at batting pass. This guy is FAST. When I say fast I dont mean explosion off the snap. But he is a long strider and is somewhat deceptive with his speed. He can get to the ball very fast. Great motor. Never stops. This kid is a force in the running game, tackles hard, and is constantly working to the ball even if the play is away from him. When BYU began standing him up he was even better. He comes down hill with power! He quickly realizes if he cant get to the QB and will get his hands up. I dont think his JPP comparisons are far off at all. Forcing fumbles, batting passes, stopping the run, getting after the QB...the kid does it all. Scouts were saying he was over thinking during the Senior bowl practices, but on game time, he just went out there and played.

The Bad: RAW RAW RAW RAW. I had to LOL at times. There were a couple of times he was blowing up the full back when the QB would fake to him, only to see the RB or the QB take off flying outside. You can tell teams were taking advantage of his aggressiveness and rawness. Doesnt really have explosion of the snap like you would want in a pass rusher. But as I said above, this guy is fast! The guy has literally only played football for a year and really doesn't know much about the sport. He will need to be coached up and will require patience.

NFL Projection: I can see him as a 4-3 DE or a OLB. I think OLB is more natural for him right now. When he has his hands in the dirt he seems to get high at times. Instead of exploding off the snap he is simply standing up then going in. I think he will make an impact immediately vs the pass, run and special teams. He is a tackling machine for a man his size and has ridiculous speed. He will get schemed against and taken advantage of due to his rawness and aggressiveness. So teams will have to be patient. After watching his tape though, I have no doubt he will be a star in the league at some point.

Ezekiel Ansah | Draft Breakdown

TV Game film for the prospects are located in the links if you also want to watch. I'd be happy with any of these guys. All of them have their flaws but all 3 seem to be impact players. Tomorrow I will do Dion Jordon, Werner, and Okafor. I look forward to it. All feedback is welcomed!! (but please dont flame me :)

I agree , that what I saw watching them too.

Love mingos athletic rush moves, really wows

Love Jones ability to strip the ball, always taking the ball out on tackles

Love Ansah potential , and versatility , if we run a hybrid 4-3 with the 3-4 , he could play two positions.

Great post
Jarvis would be a great rolb because of his elite quickness and bend and a good lolb because of his coverage ability in a 3-4

Mingo played out of position at lsu, why they need mingo at strong and Montgomery at weak I will never understand, I believe if they switched sides mingo would have had atleast 4 more sacks but if he played in a 3-4 as a rolb blitzes he would have put up 15 sacks this year. He has elite speed and explosive first step and he actually has very underrated strength

Ansah is just a freak and is scheme versatile

My fave for us would be mingo

Great evaluations man. So you say you like all 3, but who do you like most for our team? Seems you like Ansah and Mingo more than Jones.

Great evaluations man. So you say you like all 3, but who do you like most for our team? Seems you like Ansah and Mingo more than Jones.

Its hard to say.

With Ansah, I like him because of his potential. He can literally be an all pro player if he keeps developing. But its always dangerous to project that much with a player, with so little game film and experience.

Jones, I think can be an immediate impact player as a pass rusher. I do worry about his spine issue and people saying he doesn't work to hard during the week. But if he checks out in the meetings, I would love him in black and gold. He'd instantly be our best pass rusher.

Mingo, similar to Ansah, I like his high ceiling. A true player maker and seems mold-able.

Im a risk taker so I would probably go with Ansah. But if you want immediate impact, you cant go wrong with Jones or Mingo in my opinion.

For the most part, I think you were pretty spot on about your evaluations. Good stuff man.

I think Jarvis Jones could project well as a 4-3 SAM (think Von Miller). He wouldn't have to face OTs vs the run and could slide to a wide tech on nickel downs. 3-down player in an even front from day one - if a 3-4 team drafts him, then he may be limited to nickel for a large part (or all) of his first season. If he checks out medically, he's a top pass rusher in this draft.

As for Mingo, I think he struggles against bigger tackles. Once he loses the hand battle, it seems to be over for him. Good point about his run struggles also.

I've spoken at length about Ansah plenty of times so I won't get too much into him, but I think you have a good eval of him. I think your best points were how he is fast, but not explosive off the snap. He doesn't have the first step you look for in elite pass rushers. Love the long strider comment and how you said he operates well in space. I made those exactly same points here: http://saintsreport.com/forums/4886378-post173.html. I also think that once he creates spaces between him and the blocker, noone in this draft is better than him at sealing the deal. He has CRAZY closing speed. You said you think OLB is his best position right now, but I disagree with that. I see him as a strongside DE on an even front. There you can keep him out of coverage, take advantage of one of his most polished skillsets (run defense), and you don't ask him to be the main pass rusher. I think at OLB, you can explose some of his faults.

All in all, great post. I look forward to your post about Jordan - he's my favorite prospect at the moment. Also, look at Corey Lemonier, instead of Werner if you can. He's a fun guy to study. Some scouts have him as the best DE in the draft believe it or not. He's almost positionless. Too small to be a DE because his frame may be filled out and too stiff to be an OLB.

Can you do Brandon Jenkins? IMO he is the most NFL ready pass rushers and is probably my favorite prospect in the draft.

I thought the same thing about Mingo. Tell him to pin his ears back and go after the QB and he is excelling. Against the run? Not so much it seems like he just gets swallowed up and can't disengage. If we take him he'd most certainly have playing time similar to Aldon Smiths rookie year, pretty much a 3rd pass rusher

Thanks for the post, great as usual. I agree with mostly everything you say except Ziggy, the more tape I watch on him the more disappointed I get. At times he seems like a total monster, strong, quick of the LoS, powerful, you name it. But more often then not I see an EXTREMELY undisciplined player, who doe-sent know how to use his hands, and isent fluid in space. While he can hold his ground against the run very well, has no ability to shed a blocks on a consistent basis. Once the OT has made contact with him, I don't see the ability to use his arms at all to shed the tackle, other then bull rush I don't think he has ANY pass rushing moves. I do see the potential of greatness there, im just not sure if I would want to wait a couple of years to get it, especially when we NEED to hit on our first round pick.
Also keep in mind the level of competition hes playing against in these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4NawUsjtc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9h5CJFMlt8

Fr
Thanks for the post, great as usual. I agree with mostly everything you say except Ziggy, the more tape I watch on him the more disappointed I get. At times he seems like a total monster, strong, quick of the LoS, powerful, you name it. But more often then not I see an EXTREMELY undisciplined player, who doe-sent know how to use his hands, and isent fluid in space. While he can hold his ground against the run very well, has no ability to shed a blocks on a consistent basis. Once the OT has made contact with him, I don't see the ability to use his arms at all to shed the tackle, other then bull rush I don't think he has ANY pass rushing moves. I do see the potential of greatness there, im just not sure if I would want to wait a couple of years to get it, especially when we NEED to hit on our first round pick.
Also keep in mind the level of competition hes playing against in these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4NawUsjtc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9h5CJFMlt8

Yeah, good points. Like i said..with him you have to project a lot and that can be dangerous. Guy definitely has a ways to go.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

For the most part, I think you were pretty spot on about your evaluations. Good stuff man.

I think Jarvis Jones could project well as a 4-3 SAM (think Von Miller). He wouldn't have to face OTs vs the run and could slide to a wide tech on nickel downs. 3-down player in an even front from day one - if a 3-4 team drafts him, then he may be limited to nickel for a large part (or all) of his first season. If he checks out medically, he's a top pass rusher in this draft.

As for Mingo, I think he struggles against bigger tackles. Once he loses the hand battle, it seems to be over for him. Good point about his run struggles also.

I've spoken at length about Ansah plenty of times so I won't get too much into him, but I think you have a good eval of him. I think your best points were how he is fast, but not explosive off the snap. He doesn't have the first step you look for in elite pass rushers. Love the long strider comment and how you said he operates well in space. I made those exactly same points here: http://saintsreport.com/forums/4886378-post173.html. I also think that once he creates spaces between him and the blocker, noone in this draft is better than him at sealing the deal. He has CRAZY closing speed. You said you think OLB is his best position right now, but I disagree with that. I see him as a strongside DE on an even front. There you can keep him out of coverage, take advantage of one of his most polished skillsets (run defense), and you don't ask him to be the main pass rusher. I think at OLB, you can explose some of his faults.

All in all, great post. I look forward to your post about Jordan - he's my favorite prospect at the moment. Also, look at Corey Lemonier, instead of Werner if you can. He's a fun guy to study. Some scouts have him as the best DE in the draft believe it or not. He's almost positionless. Too small to be a DE because his frame may be filled out and too stiff to be an OLB.

Thanks i cant wait to watch Lemonier. Ive only seen him once and that was when he owned LSU.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

How do you think we should defend them or attack them when we play these guys because they will probably all be gone when we pick?

Mingo was very impressive in his final game until he got hurt. In fact, had he stayed healthy, LSU would've beaten Clemson. He was causing complete havoc. With that said, there were times throughout the season where he completely disappeared. That worries me a bit. I haven't seen Dion Jordan play much to be honest, so I can't comment on him. Same with Ziggy. Jarvis Jones, however, can play. He's just a baller. I was very impressed with him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom