Watching Football on TV (LED/OLED) (4 Viewers)

Consigliere

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We're getting a new TV. 70" would be perfect but OLED comes in 65" or 77". Is there a big difference in LED v. OLED with regard to football-watching? Supposedly the blacks are blacker on OLED.

Also, I read somewhere that a screen too big can give nausea or headaches if the screen is too big?

Any observations or experiences?

Thanks!

Fast moving images are hard for LED's to track so there's going to be some problems but I don't know the names of them so I can't tell you. I don't know if it's called clipping or boxing or whatever. I'm not so sure if OLED is better or not but mine seems to handle football just fine. Sometimes the ball looks weird on a deep pass. OLED's are better in general though over regular LED. Someone else on here would know more than I do.

Size, IMO depends on the room. You shouldn’t have to be turning your head to see each end of the TV but otherwise the bigger the better

I have not viewed the difference in those you mention but when I bought my last one, I bought a better processor which allows it to render each frame completely, even at higher speeds. So the ball doesn’t get blurry. Not sure how important to me that is though. I also don’t know that you are going to see the HDR you are talking about just for a football game either but I’m sure it makes a huge difference on certain movies.

Our LG OLED TV is the first time a woman ever talked me INTO an electronics purchase. We looked at it side by side with a regular LED and she couldn't get over just how much better it looked compared to the regular TVs. She kept telling me, it just looks better and we both know if we buy the "cheap-one" we will always be wishing we got the nice OLED.

The debate also isn't as simple as LED vs OLED. I have a TCL LED in the bedroom and a Sony LED in the living room and there is an obvious difference in picture quality (also price lol)

Obviously an OLED has a better picture, but one of the reasons I passed on getting one is how reflective the screen is and the lighting in my living room would not have worked well

Also, I read somewhere that a screen too big can give nausea or headaches if the screen is too big?

Thanks. There are several "calculators" out there but they recommend a ridiculously huge screen for the distance - they are put out by the manufacturers and focus on how close you need to be to see the pixel difference, not overall viewing.

Anyway we got the OLED and love it. Blacks are blacker and the Saints wear black. I wanted 70" and wife wanted 65" so we compromised and got 77".

The debate also isn't as simple as LED vs OLED. I have a TCL LED in the bedroom and a Sony LED in the living room and there is an obvious difference in picture quality (also price lol)

Obviously an OLED has a better picture, but one of the reasons I passed on getting one is how reflective the screen is and the lighting in my living room would not have worked well
If there is a drawback with OLED's it's the lighting. LED's get much better brightness levels but OLED's get far superior darks.

With 4K you can sit as close as you want and in fact you do want to sit close. It's not the same as regular HD where there is a sweet spot and if you get too close or too far away you don't get the full impact.

I've been leaning toward one of Samsung's QLEDs. They are significantly less than the OLEDs that I have seen. I also want one that has the newer ATSC 3.0 tuner built it.

Anyway we got the OLED and love it. Blacks are blacker and the Saints wear black. I wanted 70" and wife wanted 65" so we compromised and got 77".

people laugh, but general rule of thumb is if you CAN, go bigger. If you want immersive experience, size is what you need.

I've been leaning toward one of Samsung's QLEDs. They are significantly less than the OLEDs that I have seen. I also want one that has the newer ATSC 3.0 tuner built it.

Q stands for quantum dot. It is still LED technology. I'll save you some research time, if you want QLED get a Samsung QN90a. I went back and forth for about 6 months reading all kinds of reviews and impressions. If you choose Qled I would only get the QN90a:

Here the prices are on par with OLED prices (in the US).
There are some cheaper models but I would not consider those, since they lack enough local dimming zones and you'll get more blooming (the qn90 still has some blooming but not as bad as the cheaper models)

pros of led: panels get brighter than OLED (if the tv will be in a room with a lot of natural light/ windows, that can be a problem for OLED - because reflections - and you want a brighter tv to overcome that)

cons: not as deep black as OLED

pros of OLED: deep, dark, perfect blacks
cons: not as bright as led so natural light source can cause reflections. Also since it does not get as bright, a background with a lot of white (think hockey) will not look super white like it would on led

Which size & are you going with the 8K or 4K? I'm getting close to making a purchase myself for the Samsung QN90A or going with the OLED LGC1, more likely will go with the Samsung because the OLEDs degrade faster, risk of burn-in and the picture is darker.

Which size & are you going with the 8K or 4K? I'm getting close to making a purchase myself for the Samsung QN90A or going with the OLED LGC1, more likely will go with the Samsung because the OLEDs degrade faster, risk of burn-in and the picture is darker.

Honestly think burn-in is a thing of the past. Only worry would be if you maybe watch a lot of news or other programs with a static banner - for literally hours a day, every day - for years.
8k is a gimmick because there is no 8k content out. I would honestly not spend extra money on 8k anything (maybe in 10 years from now though)

As much as I love OLED, I would say first evaluate your room. If there is a lot of bright, natural light, windows etc, get the samsung Qled I mentioned above ^ which is their top 4k model
Samsung has a discount program if you meet the requirements https://www.samsung.com/us/shop/discount-program/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom