Watching replay of Miami miracle brought back nightmare memory of our own River City Relay debacle... (1 Viewer)

BREENO

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
As they showed the replay of the Miami miracle over and over again this weekend..I had a horrible flashback to our own River City Relay against the Jags where we had an even better lateraling last play only to have Carney miss the the extra point to send it into OT.. I remember my family going crazy when they scored TD and saying they still have to kick extra point to tie this game up..And sure enough....

Oh the good old days (not so good). These memories are what make having Payton and Brees in New Orleans just so amazing.

I laughed when Carney missed the PAT. But I'm long over that game so I didn't even think of it when seeing Miami's.

I've been revisiting the 'RCR' myself recently. My nephew has to write a science paper on the physics of projectile motion as it pertains to kicking footballs, and he's using the missed xp from the 'relay' as one of the examples.

Yep. The Super Bowl is our positive "I remember where I was" moment.

The River City Relay is our negative "I remember where I was" moment. I am willing to bet there are people somewhere that recount their "these two crazy Saints fans" story whenever this is re-shown.

Difference being that play literally ended our postseason hopes. The Patriots are still a candidate to be a top two seed.

If I remember correctly, they had just finished another game and switched to this game after the relay had been done. I didn't get to see the great play live, just the shanked kick.

The River City Relay won an ESPY award following that season.
I assume that award did not include the PAT attempt afterward. :hihi:

I yelled out a bunch of words that didn't even exist when Carney missed that PAT. I flailed my arms so far and so wide that I don't know how I didn't dislocate my shoulder. Why did he do that? I still don't understand. I will never understand.

Yep. The Super Bowl is our positive "I remember where I was" moment.

The River City Relay is our negative "I remember where I was" moment. I am willing to bet there are people somewhere that recount their "these two crazy Saints fans" story whenever this is re-shown.

Been over the River City Relay (the missed XP part, I mean) for years........but yes.....that was one of those moments where I can still mostly visualize where I was, etc. Maybe because the play itself was unlike anything I'd ever really witnessed.

Difference being that play literally ended our postseason hopes. The Patriots are still a candidate to be a top two seed.
Win or Loss we would have been eliminated from playoffs by the end of the 4:00 games either way as Seattle got their 9th win and held head-to-head tie-breaker while Dallas won their 10th game.

The disparaging comments from Saints fans toward Carney is one of the most embarrassing things I have experienced as a Saints fan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom