Salt or No salt on watermelon

• Salt

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • No Salt

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
When I was a child, my mother would buy a watermelon, cut it in half and salt the crap out of it then put it in the fridge. I couldn't stand it, still can't, and to this day I'll barely eat watermelon because of it. I'm not a huge salt person in general though. I do also recognize the flavor combo reasons for people dumping salt all over their fruits. However, it just seems odd to dump something that dries things out, on to something that is literally named WATERmelon because it's so juicy.

However, it just seems odd to dump something that dries things out, on to something that is literally named WATERmelon because it's so juicy.

I get that. But then when you understand that a lot of what is done in the culinary world is about balancing and complementing.

FlavorProfile_BlogSections_Draft3-01.png

Amazon product ASIN 1476753830

No salt. I generally only salt green mango or green papaya (with lime and chile)

I mean it’s truly not a thread about food or spice until Alton Brown I mean @buzd comes in with his scientific approach and culinary knowledge and explains why it works or doesn’t.

I mean it’s truly not a thread about food or spice until Alton Brown I mean @buzd comes in with his scientific approach and culinary knowledge and explains why it works or doesn’t.

Eh, I don't put salt on my watermelon, but that's more out of laziness than anything else. My wife does, and sometimes she salts mine, and I'm good with that too.

It's been noted in another thread that I also put hot sauce and MSG on my cantaloupe and pineapple. Watermelon doesn't do well with hot sauce though. I'll have to try the MSG. :scratch:

I didn't even know salt on watermelon was a thing. I find it a bit ... odd.

I'll be 'that guy' but i've never found watermelon to be that good. Don't get me wrong, it's decent but I guess I like more flavor and less water. I digress haha.

Now on to the salty/sweet fruit talk..One thing I love is naranjas con pepitoria, which is something I'd always get from the street vendors in small towns around Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. I'm sure this is a thing all over, but damn is it delicious.

ETA: Taijin on any fruit -- but especially mangoes sounds amazing

Good, ripe watermelon is quite flavorful, almost as much other fruits such as cantalope.

Bad watermelon has no flavor and is basically solid water.

I taste the melon and if it is sweet enough, I'll skip the salt. If it's so/so or blah, then I'll salt it.

Tried Tajin a couple of times and while I like all the ingredients in it, I just don't care for it sprinkled on fruit (or anything for that matter).

I *CANNOT* eat watermelon without salt. I mean, I will. But I have to pretend it's not watermelon.

Needs salt.

Salt on oranges. Apples. Cantaloupe. I like salt on these, but don't require it.

Watermelons, however, it's a must

I never got the appeal. I would see others doing it, but the times I did it, it seemed like the salt just got in the way. I suppose it's because I've enjoyed watermelon for many of the same reasons I've enjoyed popsicles.....and I never added salt to those.

My "I love this but everyone else might not" quirk is a skillet full of cooked onions surrounding steaks. How much onion content is enough? The more appropriate inquiry is how much can the covered skillet hold...

I *CANNOT* eat watermelon without salt. I mean, I will. But I have to pretend it's not watermelon.

Needs salt.

Salt on oranges. Apples. Cantaloupe. I like salt on these, but don't require it.

Watermelons, however, it's a must

Same here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom