Wayback machine returns: 1987 road win over the Niners (1 Viewer)

St.Dan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
As our Saints muddle through another disappointment of a season, I thought I’d fire up the wayback machine so we can enjoy past glories against the remaining upcoming opponents.

1987 was the year many of us older fans will remember forever. First-ever playoff berth for our Saints. Chief obstacle for us back then was the Walsh/Montana 49ers. Seems like we never beat them, right? Well, not exactly….

Three times in the ‘80s the black and gold downed the Niners in old Candlestick Park. The third time was during the famous nine-game winning streak thst followed the infamous home loss to the Niners that produced Jim Mora’s “coulda woulda shoulda” speech.

The Dome Patrol stifled the Niner offense well enough until Steve Young, who started the game in place of Montana after the latter was injured in pregame warmups, hit Jerry Rice on a long one. Our offense, as we remember, relied on Morten Andersen early and often until we got into the end zone on an Hebert-to-Mike Jones catch-and-run in the second half.

It was timely defense, special teams in the form of a Johnnie Poe return of a blocked field goal, just enough offense and The Great Dane who won it in the final minutes, 26-24. The swirling wind nearly blew the game-winner wide — but thankfully didn’t! The Dome Patrol kept Montana at bay just long enough for the clock to run out.

One interesting moment I’d forgotten about can be found at the 1-hour mark of the video. After a Dave Waymer pick off the arm of Montana, Hebert’s attempt at improv ends up being an early example of the “tuck rule.” Thank goodness the call more or less went our way.

Stockton and Bradshaw were in the booth for this one, plus there’s the full halftime show with old NFL Today crew. Enjoy! ….

Last edited:
Awesome. Just rewatched the ending and I was nervous even knowing that we won the game!! I was thinking, if St. Dan lied and we really lost this game, he's getting a weeklong ban! :hihi:

Those were just the kinds of games that Montana and Young consistently tortured us with by coming back and winning.

I remember even as a kid being so utterly shocked that we somehow pulled it off. Cool to relive it, thanks.
The thing that made that win so galvanizing is that the earlier loss to the Niners prompted Mora’s famous “coulda, woulda, shoulda” rant. Mora used the Niners as a measuring stick and for obvious reasons.
Despite all the consecutive wins we’d rattled off since that loss, we still had to beat San Fran to prove they were truly contenders and not a fluke.

It was an exciting time to be a Saints fan.

The thing that made that win so galvanizing is that the earlier loss to the Niners prompted Mora’s famous “coulda, woulda, shoulda” rant. Mora used the Niners as a measuring stick and for obvious reasons.
Despite all the consecutive wins we’d rattled off since that loss, we still had to beat San Fran to prove they were truly contenders and not a fluke.

It was an exciting time to be a Saints fan.
Agree. Mora was solid, but his loyalty to Carl Smith probably kept the late 80s Saints from winning a Super Bowl. Mike Holmgren was just a QB coach for the 49ers from 86-89 and well schooled under Walsh.

Had Mora had the vision to “see the difference” and replace Smith with Holmgren in that era as OC it probably would’ve turned out differently and for the better.

I can't remember the last time N.O won in SF.

It almost seems like zero times since I started watching football in 90.

Huey Lewis and his News, who hail from the Bay Area, were apparently very tight with the 49ers of that area and they would all hang out at concerts and 49er games .. .. and the late, great Dwight Clark and a few other players even appeared in some of the Huey & the News video(s) back then.. i only found out about this connection in recent years (i think i was too young back then to be aware) and now i just cant help but think ‘What a time to be alive’…..

Agree. Mora was solid, but his loyalty to Carl Smith probably kept the late 80s Saints from winning a Super Bowl. Mike Holmgren was just a QB coach for the 49ers from 86-89 and well schooled under Walsh.

Had Mora had the vision to “see the difference” and replace Smith with Holmgren in that era as OC it probably would’ve turned out differently and for the better.
Mostly correct, but I’ll add the weaknesses on the roster go all the way up the ladder past Mora and onto Benson himself. He had multiple business interests back then, including not just the cars but the banking industry as well. The Saints were just one of many burners on his stove, so to speak. Didn’t always get the attention it needed.

This was the game that I watched in the uk and got me to follow the saints
Thank the gods -- had you watched the coulda, woulda, shoulda game, we might have one less Who Dat and one more obnoxious 49er fan!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom