Wayback machine: Saints/Raiders 1988 (1 Viewer)

St.Dan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
All the Derek Carr talk the past week has made the wayback machine kinda warm for some Raiders action, ha. This spreads over two separate videos I’ve found, but the Saints/Raiders game from 1988 is worth the look-see.

The most memorable part of this game for most fans of a certain age was Ironhead Heyward’s TD run in the third quarter. His escape from a TFL and trucking a DB on his way to the end zone was among a handful of similar plays during his Saints career.

The Raiders had brought Bo Jackson to town for his second game back from the baseball season. He had injured a hamstring during the baseball season, and after gashing the Dome Patrol for 45 yards on the Raiders’ first two plays on offense, he strained it again and didn’t return to the game. Good thing, because the result of this one could’ve been very different had he played the full game.

For its part, the Dome Patrol defense played lights-out the rest of the way. Several highlight sacks and takeaways all throughout this one. A few key takeaways late sealed the 20-6 win.

So enjoy an early start to the offseason doldrums with this victory from 1988! Saints and Raiders had played each other only three times up to then, but it was the first time in the series the Saints ended up on top.

Mike Shanahan was the Raiders’ coach for this one. Joe Namath is on color commentary for NBC’s broadcast.

Last edited:
Primadox and I were at that game. It was really exciting seeing Ironhead make that play. We thought it was his breakout moment and that we'd start seeing him changing games regularly by making plays that all the time. Sadly, that didn't happen.
On the other hand, it was a blast watching the Dome Patrol shut down the Raiders. While we had them, I was much more interested watching the defense play than the offense. In some ways, I felt like we were more likely to score when the defense was on the field...

Those shoulder pads! I wonder what tackling and pass catching would look like in today's game with those pads restricting range of motion

All the Derek Carr talk the past week has made the wayback machine kinda warm for some Raiders action, ha. This spreads over two separate videos I’ve found, but the Saints/Raiders game from 1988 is worth the look-see.

The most memorable part of this game for most fans of a certain age was Ironhead Heyward’s TD run in the third quarter. His escape from a TFL and trucking a DB on his way to the end zone was among a handful of similar plays during his Saints career.

The Raiders had brought Bo Jackson to town for his second game back from the baseball season. He had injured a hamstring during the baseball season, and after gashing the Dome Patrol for 45 yards on the Raiders’ first two plays on offense, he strained it again and didn’t return to the game. Good thing, because the result of this one could’ve been very different had he played the full game.

For its part, the Dome Patrol defense played lights-out the rest of the way. Several highlight sacks and takeaways all throughout this one. A few key takeaways late sealed the 20-6 win.

So enjoy an early start to the offseason doldrums with this victory from 1988! Saints and Raiders had played each other only three times up to then, but it was the first time in the series the Saints ended up on top.

Mike Shanahan was the Raiders’ coach for this one. Joe Namath is on color commentary for NBC’s broadcast.

One of the previously aforementioned Saints/Raiders games actually ended in a tie, 21-21, where Oakland was leading the game 21-0 going into the 4th quarter and we managed to score the final 3 TD's to tie the game. The NFL didn't start going into OT to decide tied regular-season games until 1975, so before then, any game that was tied at the end of regulation, stayed that way, except for postseason games. That's why if one examines quite a few NFL and even AFL teams' overall records from the late 40's to mid-70's, many if them ended with multiple ties at the end of the year.

Thank you @St.Dan
So nice to see a positive thread!
And, of course, love me some Dome Patrol
:clapbig: :bowdown2::0056:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom