We’ve caught some breaks this year...and that’s awesome (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
You need to be good to win a Super Bowl. You also need to catch some breaks along the way. Case and point:
-fell behind 24-3 vs Miami. Got lucky that the clock stopped before the half when the refs thought Colston scored. We get another shot, Brees scores and we come back to win.

-played poorly against the 1-7 Rams. Two INTs, a fumble. Still held on.
-Played really poorly in Washington. Meachem’s strip fumble return for a TD and Washington’s missed chip shot FG open the door for us to steal one in OT.

-Vikings lose back-to-back games in weeks 15 and 16 to sub-.500 teams to give us some breathing room for HFA.

Now, let’s take a look at 2011
-On the doorstep of a go-ahead TD late in Tampa. Brees throws a pick in the EZ. Lose 26-20

-play poorly against 0-6 St. Louis. We have a chance to make a run at the end, but instead, Brees throws a pick-6.

-Most importantly, the 49ers don’t lose. They get lucky in certain spots (Philly self-destructing late against them, Seahawks fumbling, turning it over on downs). They also play in an awful division that they run away with and easily capture the 2-seed.
So what have we seen this year?

-Browns kicker misses 3 critical kicks in the 2nd half.

-Justin Tucker, who never misses XPs, misses one for the tie

-Thielen fumbles with Vikings driving to go up two scores before half (when they receive 2nd half kickoff). Changes the game.

This isn’t to say we’re *not* very, very good. We are. But I’m really thankful we’ve caught some breaks along the way. It makes me feel like this is more like ‘09 than ‘11.

You need some good fortune to win a super bowl alongside playing well. Whenever a team wins a Super Bowl, is you look back at their season there would have been a lot of good things bounce there way. Hopefully we capitalise on it this year and win it all.

You need to be good to win a Super Bowl. You also need to catch some breaks along the way. Case and point:
-fell behind 24-3 vs Miami. Got lucky that the clock stopped before the half when the refs thought Colston scored. We get another shot, Brees scores and we come back to win.

-played poorly against the 1-7 Rams. Two INTs, a fumble. Still held on.
-Played really poorly in Washington. Meachem’s strip fumble return for a TD and Washington’s missed chip shot FG open the door for us to steal one in OT.

-Vikings lose back-to-back games in weeks 15 and 16 to sub-.500 teams to give us some breathing room for HFA.

Now, let’s take a look at 2011
-On the doorstep of a go-ahead TD late in Tampa. Brees throws a pick in the EZ. Lose 26-20

-play poorly against 0-6 St. Louis. We have a chance to make a run at the end, but instead, Brees throws a pick-6.

-Most importantly, the 49ers don’t lose. They get lucky in certain spots (Philly self-destructing late against them, Seahawks fumbling, turning it over on downs). They also play in an awful division that they run away with and easily capture the 2-seed.
So what have we seen this year?

-Browns kicker misses 3 critical kicks in the 2nd half.

-Justin Tucker, who never misses XPs, misses one for the tie

-Thielen fumbles with Vikings driving to go up two scores before half (when they receive 2nd half kickoff). Changes the game.

This isn’t to say we’re *not* very, very good. We are. But I’m really thankful we’ve caught some breaks along the way. It makes me feel like this is more like ‘09 than ‘11.

Teams catch these "breaks" when they go 3-13 too. It's part of football.

We caught a few miracles in 09, too. The lucky and unexpected can go either way and determie many games. You never know how fate will seem to intervene.

Teams catch these "breaks" when they go 3-13 too. It's part of football.

Sure. But 2011 was an example of a year in which things just didn’t fall our way.

It was probably our best team ever, talent wise. I still think we would’ve beaten NY in the dome and then beaten the Patriots. But we had to go to SF because they played a terrible schedule and caught some more breaks.

Sure. But 2011 was an example of a year in which things just didn’t fall our way.

It was probably our best team ever, talent wise. I still think we would’ve beaten NY in the dome and then beaten the Patriots. But we had to go to SF because they played a terrible schedule and caught some more breaks.

Well I don think that team was the best team ever talent wise. Defense had some issues and it got exposed.

In all the games OP points out where things went the Saints way, there were plays that didnt go the Saints way as well. Like Brees missing a WIDE open Watson on a 5 yard TD. Or the bad coverage bust that allowed Baltimore to score late in the first place.

And I wouldn't even mention the Minnesota game becuase Teilen didnt just caugh the ball up on his own. Anzalone and Williams kinda knocked the sheet out of Theilen to make that fumble happen no? Or that doesnt count?

Kind of agree with OP. We have an outstanding team, maybe the best we have ever had, but it doesn't hurt when the refs doesn't call a flag on every other play. I'm not saying that we have gotten lucky, but we definitely haven't gotten unlucky when it comes to calls this season.

Well I don think that team was the best team ever talent wise. Defense had some issues and it got exposed.

In all the games OP points out where things went the Saints way, there were plays that didnt go the Saints way as well. Like Brees missing a WIDE open Watson on a 5 yard TD. Or the bad coverage bust that allowed Baltimore to score late in the first place.

2011 Defense gave up about 170 more yards during the entire season than the 2009 team did while gaining more than 1,000 more yards. Yes, they had issues. But talent-wise, I’d say 2011 was better.

Anyway, that’s up for debate. The point is that we had more things fall our way in 2009.

Yes, Brees missed an open Watson. And yes, we had a coverage bust. But, we got fortunate in that they didn’t cost us the game because other things fell our way. That’s the point: in 2011, that didn’t happen in a couple games and it cost us because SF didn’t lose.

Totally agree with op.

You can't just be good. There has to be some fortunate bounces along the way as well.

And the examples of 09' and 11' were exactly right. 09' was an example of multiple fortunate bounces and circumstances lead to out HFA and eventual Super Bowl win. 11' was a better team with an identical record to 09' but we got less "luck" along the way.

I'm a believer that theres no science to it. It's either your day for fortune to shine on you...or it isn't.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom