We are 1-2, and we have not looked good, but the sky is not falling. (1 Viewer)

I look at those scores and what I see (and remember) is a good offense and terrible defense. We have a great defense and the worst offense in the league. I'm pretty sure this offense would be bad in the 60s NFL, in fact. It's really hard to watch. If it doesn't get fixed soon, heads better start to roll.
For the most part yes.

The exceptions to that rule on that list were 2017 where the defense was good, and 2020 where it was great.

Since the end of the game, I listed all my tickets on Seatgeek. Immediately sold 6 for almost $1000. Saved another $900 and counting on two weekends of hotels. Add in food, drink, and 6 hours worth of time and gas one way from Atlanta.

So I agree, the sky isn't falling. Lemonade out of lemons.

We have looked bad, mostly on offense. The D has not been perfect, but they have been good enough to win.

Also we actually outgained CAR from LOS by 133yrds.

I know the easy target is Winston, and he disserves a lot of flak, but to me the glaring weakness that makes our play-calling, QB play, etc, moot, is the O-Line. Pretty much outside of a quick "dink and dunk" attack, I do not see much we could consistently execute.

The left side has been horrific and I am not sure there is a fix. If Penning can come back, and if he is ready to be a full time LT at this level, then we can slide Hurst to LG and the line should look infinitely better. That is a thin hope though, and even then we would have no depth... one injury away from a dysfunctional line again. Ram is already dinged, and not really playing like we expect from him.

Anyway, the issues with the team was not the point of this post. It was the 1-2 start to the season and the corresponding assumption that we are headed for a league worst finish.

How many times in the Payton era did we go 1-2 (or worse) in the first 3 games of the season?

2007- We actually started 0-3 (0-4 actually), and ended up 7-9, missing the playoffs.
Colts 10-41
Bucs 14-31
Titans 14-31

2008- Started 1-2, ended up 8-8, missed the playoffs again.
Bucs 24-20
Redskins 24-29
Broncos 32-34

2012- Started 0-3 (0-4 again), ended up 7-9, and missed the playoffs.
Redskins 32-40
Panthers 27-35
Chiefs 24-27

2014- Started 1-2, again 7-9, missing the playoffs.
Falcons 34-37
Browns 24-26
Vikings 20-9

2015- Started 0-3... yeah 7-9, and a theme in missing the playoffs.
Cards 19-31
Bucs 19-26
Panthers 22-27

2016- 0-3, 7-9, missed playoffs, rinse repeat
Raiders 34-35
Giants 13-16
Falcons 32-45

2017 1-2, 11-5, Lost in divisional round of playoffs.
Vikings 19-29
Patriots 20-36
Panthers 34-13

2020 1-2, 12-4, Lost in the divisional round of playoffs.
Bucs 34-23
Raiders 24-34
Packers 30-37

Now most of those results will not build a lot of confidence in the Super Bowl or bust crowd, but a team with our O-Line play is not a contender, period.

Mostly I threw those results out there to show how many times we started the season looking like the sky was falling... and it simply was not.
The sky fell.

The Head Coach and OC have been quickly exposed as not up to the task. It gets no better from here.

All just a matter of time and how long and drawn out Loomis wants to make it.

All those seasons listed, we had Drew Brees and SP. Huge difference. I think it's safe to assume that the sky is indeed falling at this point.

The sky fell.

The Head Coach and OC have been quickly exposed as not up to the task. It gets no better from here.

This is EXACTLY my opinion. We are in a terrible situation and worse than I imagined it would be. I suspect they will try to shelve Pete first, but Allen is not HC material. I know a poorly coached team when I see one. The bold move would be to cut bait after this year. I wish we would have hired Doug Pederson.

If you believe what you read on here you’d think the works was flat too. SMH

The sky fell.

Exactly this. Loomis can limit the damage by firing both DA and PC (as well as obviously replacing Winston) at the end of the season or he can keep DA and we’ll stink next year as well. The ball’s in his court now, he should be getting ready to search for a new HC.

Basically if N.O showed up on the field and did nothing offensively they would of won the Game.

One FG and no turnovers Saints win 3-0.

Carolina did nothing to win the game. The Saints handed them every opportunity. Carolina didn't really have to earn that victory

This is EXACTLY my opinion. We are in a terrible situation and worse than I imagined it would be. I suspect they will try to shelve Pete first, but Allen is not HC material. I know a poorly coached team when I see one. The bold move would be to cut bait after this year. I wish we would have hired Doug Pederson.
And Pederson has the Jags looking fantastic. They took it to the Chargers and broke their 2 years plus road losing streak. I’m jealous.

As someone who is old enough to remember Nolan, Bum, Mora, Ditka and Haslett, I'm telling you we are heading into an early 80s, late 90s, early 2000s type of season unless drastic changes are made.
This is what troubles me the most. Very similar body language. He’s already beat with no answers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom