We are a Film War defense not elite athleticism that go to a fast start. We will probably struggle in week 1 and then improve. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dennis Allen defense has allowed 29, 35, and 48 in week one for the last 3 years as DC. Which is 37 ppg allowed. If you include 2015 when he was a defensive assistant. Another 31 points surrender. 36 ppg.

So, don't be surprised if Dennis Allen has another porous start with experimenting with bad/old scheme before he figures out the best scheme to play to his personnel's strength.

But the defense will improve once the Film Wars begin.

So, stay calm if defense doesn't start out so hot.

Last edited:
I agree. The saints as a team and specially the defense are not the kind to start fast. The saints team is all about consistently improving and outlasting opponents.

Dennis Allen defense has allowed 29, 35, and 48 in week one for the last 3 years as DC. Which is 37 ppg allowed. If you include 2015 when he was a defensive assistant. Another 31 points surrender. 36 ppg.

So, don't be surprised if Dennis Allen has another porous start with experimenting with bad/old scheme before he figures out the best scheme to play to his personnel's strength.

You are correct but someone needs to tell DA that all regular season games count. His defense stinks the first week in part to being so vanilla. DA has to be on his game all year.

Quite frankly I’m tired of the we have been great defensively for the past 8 weeks when we hear it in week 12. With our schedule we need to play well from the beginning.

Is this another way of saying we are a "finesse" defense?

I'd rather be the Dome Patrol or Ravens type defense with coaches who can also scheme when pure physical skills have met a match. You need both and the coaches who insist that their genius ability to scheme over talent are the ones that don't last.

Mike Martz is an example of a coaching career that died in its one dimensional devotion to ability to scheme as a genius.

Last edited:
The problem is not athleticism, it's mental. But that goes for every team the first three or four weeks. We get mistake prone, error filled, might as well flip a coin, NFL for the month of September.

It's really a good time to reduce your stress and take a long vacation.

I will never understand how if defense is our achilles heel why we start off so slowly every year. There should be an emphasis on the defense. We know our offenses come ready. They always seem to be ready but EVERY year, the defense is the liability. Even the last two years, we started off abysmally and then something clicked. It seems like some basic fundamentals aren't being managed correctly. I don't know but I do know that it's frustrating to watch.

The problem is not athleticism, it's mental. But that goes for every team the first three or four weeks. We get mistake prone, error filled, might as well flip a coin, NFL for the month of September.

It's really a good time to reduce your stress and take a long vacation.

There will be nothing easy about winning during those first three or four weeks. Tough schedule.

This Saints team is as athletic as any, they are just slow getting out of the gate early in the season. Five straight opening day losses is telling. Obviously, we have to get better at preparing for game one.

I don't know if the Saints do so so this early (they may), however, I would already be spending at least some time, whenever practical, practicing and preparing the players for the first game, and not just scheming/game planning for it on the coaching side. Houston is no cakewalk. Not in the least! We need that one badly at home, because the following road trip to the west coast vs the Rams and Seahawks will be tough.

We are plenty athletic on defense.

We chose to not rely on that athleticism in our scheme. Allen likes a lot of Cover 2/3 and disguised blitzes. I've got no problem with that. Some of the best defenses in NFL history relied on smart players playing well within a system.

And you won't see that in preseason.

Well they better “scheme” better, earlier than they have, because their first 5 games they have no losers to play. All playoff teams. Maybe they just need to be better prepared?

Well they better “scheme” better, earlier than they have, because their first 5 games they have no losers to play. All playoff teams. Maybe they just need to be better prepared?
It's such a weird anomaly with Allen. I have no earthly idea how he is sooo bad in week 1. Maybe because training in a vaccum against same people everyday produce biased results that influence his scheme decisions. It all changes when we pay opponents for real and we get our teeth kicked in for a while now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom