We are a Film War defense not elite athleticism that go to a fast start. We will probably struggle in week 1 and then improve. (1 Viewer)

This is all true. However, this team is by far better than any of those teams. Our secondary is experienced, has mostly played together in college and in the pros. Both our starting CBs now have at least one full Saints camp in them, wit Lattimore in year 3 and Apple gunning for a pay raise and long term contract. LB corps has played together now and knows the defense. DL is good, with experience just needing to pick up the system. But our hole is in the middle the first game, however DT is one of the easier places to come in and learn scheme.

Pre-complaining in mid season form, I see.
I guess you're too lazy to read. I was trying to temper expectations to keep people from overreacting and backed it up with real data. You know if the defense has a poor performance. There is gonna be a tidal wave of complaining.

I only complain when the same garbage is happening 10 weeks into the season with Allen doing cute coverage packages that gets us burn.

I guess you're too lazy to read. I was trying to temper expectations to keep people from overreacting and backed it up with real data. You know if the defense has a poor performance. There is gonna be a tidal wave of complaining.

I only complain when the same garbage is happening 10 weeks into the season with Allen doing cute coverage packages that gets us burn.

Did you know there were other comments on the thread besides yours?

We are in agreement, though, in that I, too, don't want to see things that "gets us burn."

I am not a Dennis Allen fan. We are already making excuses for a D that was shredded by the Vikings first string and discussing a poor first game performance, year after year after year. Do something about it.

Look at talent and injuries though. When Allen got here he was making chicken soup out of chicken feathers. What would last year have been like is Apple wouldn’t have come in and saved our butts? You can complain about Allen all you want, but when you have to scheme to cover weaknesses it’s really hard to dominate.

Now this year if they suck ok then I’ll blame Allen a bit. But not before now.

By week 4 we tend to be dialed in. Its something i have noticed in past seasons. We will win some and lose some depending on the teams and if they too are still working out the kinks.

Scheming is good sometimes, but every puzzle has a solution. That's why top notch athletes are a must. There's no solution to players who can win individual battles against their man. It doesn't matter how well DA schemes, there's always the risk it won't work. He knows that, and is trying to build a dominant defense that's also smart enough to scheme when the time is right. If our defense isn't in the top 15 this year, I think Allen is on the hot seat.

Dennis Allen defense has allowed 29, 35, and 48 in week one for the last 3 years as DC. Which is 37 ppg allowed. If you include 2015 when he was a defensive assistant. Another 31 points surrender. 36 ppg.

So, don't be surprised if Dennis Allen has another porous start with experimenting with bad/old scheme before he figures out the best scheme to play to his personnel's strength.

But the defense will improve once the Film Wars begin.

So, stay calm if defense doesn't start out so hot.

So Houston +7 in week one then....

Excuses and rationalizing for failure in the first 1-2 weeks of the regular season for our defense after 1 preseason game is not good

I think this is insightful and , sadly, accurate. I think our defense is very, very scheme dependent and prone to slow starts. Look at week 1 last season. A common opponent but an unfamiliar QB and he absolutely shredded us. Week 2, uncommon opponent and unfamiliar QB and we darn near lost at home to team that hadn't won a road game in 3 years.

We have a hell of an opening schedule. I wouldn't be shocked if the Texans light us up week 1. I hope it doesn't happen -- but I'd be lying if I said I was confident in our defense to be ready right out of the gate.

Things that have typically given Saints defenses trouble...

Running QBs - Deshaun Watson ✔️

Premiere WRs- Nuke Hopkins ✔️

Receiving RBs- Duke Johnson ✔️

Athletic receiving TEs- Houston TEs are not scary.

Deep threat speed WRs- Will Fuller ✔️

The Texans offense has many of the ingredients that typically give a Saints defense trouble (aside from a threatening TE). Their OL is not very good, but unless the Saints can take advantage of that, that offense will give them trouble. The threat of a running QB can often slow down an aggressive pass rush.

history points to this being correct. NFL did us yet another injustice by having us play an always physical game to open and then travel across country on a short week to play what will have to be this years number one rivalry game. Hey and as a bonus, go back home and travel even further across country.

history points to this being correct. NFL did us yet another injustice by having us play an always physical game to open and then travel across country on a short week to play what will have to be this years number one rivalry game. Hey and as a bonus, go back home and travel even further across country.

After seeing the way last season ended for the Saints, it’s hard to believe that anything the NFL does is random or up to “chance”... and that includes the schedule.

The best way to get the Saints fans to stop obsessing over the cheat-job last season is to create a new thing for them to be angry/disappointed with...

...enter the 1st three weeks of this year’s schedule. Saints get off to an 0-3 start, then they don’t have to worry about N.O. anymore.

I know it sounds like I’m wearing a tinfoil hat, but I feel like I saw a UFO and the MiB failed to erase my memory.

Good post. Agreed.
And on the O side it will be the same as last year, imo, if the Line stays healthy we will win it all. Need a full year out of TA.

This is true but the same could be said about most defenses around the league. Only a handful of teams have the ability to "out talent" an opposing offense. And with the way the game is played now, even super talented defenses get shredded from time to time.

It's not like the old days when the Bucs could just walk out there and play their Tampa 2 and dominate because of sheer talent.

The slow starts from DA's defenses are maddening though. His defenses have allowed 28 points a game on average through the first four games the past three years. They give up an average of 37 points in the opener over that same span. Hopefully that changes this season. If not, we could be in trouble because we start with the Texans, Rams, Seahawks, and Cowboys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom