We are a Film War defense not elite athleticism that go to a fast start. We will probably struggle in week 1 and then improve. (1 Viewer)

Dennis Allen defense has allowed 29, 35, and 48 in week one for the last 3 years as DC. Which is 37 ppg allowed. If you include 2015 when he was a defensive assistant. Another 31 points surrender. 36 ppg.

So, don't be surprised if Dennis Allen has another porous start with experimenting with bad/old scheme before he figures out the best scheme to play to his personnel's strength.

But the defense will improve once the Film Wars begin.

So, stay calm if defense doesn't start out so hot.
Instead of arguing against the OP, I'll put a spotlight on other perspectives:

1. Even without Rankins, this appears to be the strongest defense we've ever had under CSP. The '09 defense wasn't as athletic, but their strength was in the takeaways. With the solid linebackers and an improved secondary, the D-line will get even more coverage sacks.

2. How crazy would it be if Ted Ginn was overtaken to move down to #3 in the slot? Wow! Yet we cannot rule that out because of what Butler has shown us thus far. No... we can't crown his arse just yet... but we should all be encouraged by the way things seem to be setting up.

3. Cook at tight end... Cook at tight end... Cook at tight end.... Do we really have to go into the multitude of things this does for the Saints in attacking opposing secondaries?

4. Our return game will be improved. We have three studs fighting it out right now, and they're so good that whoever gets the job will give the Saints a buttload of additional hidden yardage (for field position).

5. Quick: Name a better placekicker in the NFL than Will Lutz. (...that's what I thought).

Our position coaches are even more experienced, and the Saints are not going to have a slow start. Put it this way: If I made you the head coach of any other NFL team, you'd have the Saints as #31 among teams you'd want to face on opening weekend, on Monday Night Football... in the Mercedes Benz Superdome... before a packed house with the decibel level averaging triple digits.

Good luck beating those odds.

Give me the Saints starting this season 1-0... and not looking back.

:gosaints:

I am pretty sure that it is a league wide trend

wasn't there a lot of talk about the amount of points being scored overall at the beginning of the last 2 seasons and then things settled down after 4 weeks or so?

Allen has a system, and from what little I have gathered by following along on this website, the scheme gets more and more complex as the season builds. Players "earn" the right to have certain blitzes and plays called. Data on down/distance/formation/personnel grouping trends become more valuable as more information becomes available on these offenses. Great defenses find spots to anticipate and make plays. This takes study, and they have to have something to study besides old film and preseason.

Dennis Allen is probably the greatest half-time adjusting coach I have seen for the Saints in my lifetime. If his defenses get off to a slow start, but he continues to improve in the 2nd half of games, and as the season progresses...I can live with that.

Some of y'all need a lesson in expectation management.

Dennis Allen is probably the greatest half-time adjusting coach I have seen for the Saints in my lifetime. If his defenses get off to a slow start, but he continues to improve in the 2nd half of games, and as the season progresses...I can live with that.

Some of y'all need a lesson in expectation management.

You have to give credit where it's due. Allen has proven to be very good at halftime adjustments. Some DCs are better counter punchers.

You have to give credit where it's due. Allen has proven to be very good at halftime adjustments. Some DCs are better counter punchers.
He is a fantastic chess player and rope-a-dope an offense at crazy efficiency in the 2nd halves

There is some great consistency with Allen.

I am pretty sure that it is a league wide trend

wasn't there a lot of talk about the amount of points being scored overall at the beginning of the last 2 seasons and then things settled down after 4 weeks or so?

But there are defenses in the league that are great from start to finish, those are the elite defenses. And there is no defense that improves more than the saints' defense as the season goes.

The biggest problem I have with our defense is when we do play a single safety deep, he can never seem to commit to one player of the other especially on deep outs. i mean it's either, or man. The thing i liked about Darren Sharper was he rolled the dice & took a chance. most of the time he was right & was able to get to the play & make something happen. We haven't had that king of play maker int he backfield, before. or since. Marcus Williams has the ability, but lacks the will to be that guy. The coaches have to tell this guy to make up his mind & go. it's better to get burned once in a while, or every other time than to get burned every single time because you won't commit.

Is this another way of saying we are a "finesse" defense?

I'd rather be the Dome Patrol or Ravens type defense with coaches who can also scheme when pure physical skills have met a match. You need both and the coaches who insist that their genius ability to scheme over talent are the ones that don't last.

Mike Martz is an example of a coaching career that died in its one dimensional devotion to ability to scheme as a genius.

I'm with you, spiritually, but sadly the rules of the pro game now mitigate against being too physical, even if you have the athletes to do it. And remember, the Dome Patrol was all about the front 7. That average secondary got torched in big games quite frequently.

The biggest problem I have with our defense is when we do play a single safety deep, he can never seem to commit to one player of the other especially on deep outs. i mean it's either, or man. The thing i liked about Darren Sharper was he rolled the dice & took a chance. most of the time he was right & was able to get to the play & make something happen. We haven't had that king of play maker int he backfield, before. or since. Marcus Williams has the ability, but lacks the will to be that guy. The coaches have to tell this guy to make up his mind & go. it's better to get burned once in a while, or every other time than to get burned every single time because you won't commit.
You are on to something because you are used to seeing Williams arriving too late, watching the completion happen...

Well, single high safety is kind of dead. Anyway
You are on to something because you are used to seeing Williams arriving too late, watching the completion happen...
I hope we stop doing single high safety and do more cover 2 or 3 safety cover 3.

It's just a an easily exploitable scheme. Still mad how Patriots just shut down the Rams by playing a simply motion cover 2. We missed Rankin badly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom