We Are Better without Peat (1 Viewer)

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The real issue is we keep attempting these types of plays with a Guard who is average at best at pass pro.
Don't know why Payton thinks Peat is Jahri Evans. Peat looks more like a dancing bear than a pulling guard. After the break, I would love to see us put Easton at LG and Ruiz at RG or C (in which case McCoy would move over to RG), but I'm afraid Payton is wedded to Peat.

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
He's definitely arrived now. Seeing a lot of "dislikes" :LOL:
It’s the same couple people that come in hot defending Peat on these threads all the time and that’s fine. Hey, I get that people who are more “students of the game” see something in him that maybe the causal fan does not.

I get that physically he has the tools - he’s big and got tree trunk legs and seemingly can use his mass to move bodies - but I think the offensive line as a unit and therefore the offense as a whole is less effective with Peat in.

For whatever reason

Last edited:

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Same reason a RG pulls on a left side run play.

This would usually result in a stonewall block because Bosa comes off with NO contest. So he isnt braced for contact. Thats THE DESIGN.

its not poor design. its abysmal execution by just one guy.
It's poor design. Please learn the game and then say this. You don't pull a LG on a passing play against arguably the best pass rusher in football. I understand running plays but not passing.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
Reaction score
It's poor design. Please learn the game and then say this. You don't pull a LG on a passing play against arguably the best pass rusher in football. I understand running plays but not passing.

LOL sure you do. especially on boot action.

It was play action ( albeit poor play action ) to move the DEs eyes enough to allow Peat to come across and stonewall him.

but you do so with knowing the limitations your LG has. Which are plenty in pass pro.

Others have said, you have some familial connection with Peat. So its probably best you just stay away from these discussions because you are emotionally involved. I get its hard to read all this, and look to blame poor design.

And i would agree...you dont design a play that puts arguably the worst pass protecting guard on one of the games top DEs. You are correct in that aspect.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Might be cumulative mental fatigue from all the constant nagging injury.

peat has been very good at times when healthy. “When healthy”. Which hasn’t been a lot. He ends up playing dinged and doesn’t play well.

This year is as bad as he!s looked. It’s another of those patterns that everyone can see and it is on the coaches to fix one way or another. Risk is with the new contract they just stay with it and don’t fix it.

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
LOL sure you do. especially on boot action.

It was play action ( albeit poor play action ) to move the DEs eyes enough to allow Peat to come across and stonewall him.

but you do so with knowing the limitations your LG has. Which are plenty in pass pro.

Others have said, you have some familial connection with Peat. So its probably best you just stay away from these discussions because you are emotionally involved. I get its hard to read all this, and look to blame poor design.

And i would agree...you dont design a play that puts arguably the worst pass protecting guard on one of the games top DEs. You are correct in that aspect.
I'm not related at all. They are joking because I look at the video. I defended him last year and thought the saints would resign him. In fact in one thread Rev Deuce kept telling me I was wrong an the saints coaches were in agreement with him.

If he had played at LSU people would love him but since he is a so called outsider he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

efil4stnias

Reaction score
I'm not related at all. They are joking because I look at the video. I defended him last year and thought the saints would resign him. In fact in one thread Rev Deuce kept telling me I was wrong an the saints coaches were in agreement with him.

If he had played at LSU people would love him but since he is a so called outsider he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Then if you look at ALL the video of pass pro, you will see what almost everyone sees. A below-average ability to pass protect. Period.

Yes, he is good/really good in run game. No doubt. You get zero argument from me.

but in pass sets, he is really poor.

You mentioned i need to watch more football....every team in the league that runs a waggle/boot, will pull the guard ( LG or RG depending on side ) to protect the QB.

here from 2018 go to 2:50 - THE EXACT SAME PLAY. with EXACT SAME PLAYER. Here the DE DT did a stunt so PEAT had very little to do. But this is not some bad play design as you described. at 2:16 we ran same play with RG Warford.

every other pass pro there is straight up because its a straight drop back.

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Then if you look at ALL the video of pass pro, you will see what almost everyone sees. A below-average ability to pass protect. Period.

Yes, he is good/really good in run game. No doubt. You get zero argument from me.

but in pass sets, he is really poor.

You mentioned i need to watch more football....every team in the league that runs a waggle/boot, will pull the guard ( LG or RG depending on side ) to protect the QB.

here from 2018 go to 2:50 - THE EXACT SAME PLAY. with EXACT SAME PLAYER. Here the DE DT did a stunt so PEAT had very little to do. But this is not some bad play design as you described. at 2:16 we ran same play with RG Warford.

every other pass pro there is straight up because its a straight drop back.
The video won’t play for me. Was it against Nick Bosa who is the highest paid defender in the game?

efil4stnias

Reaction score
The video won’t play for me. Was it against Nick Bosa who is the highest paid defender in the game?
nick is not the highest paid defensive player in the game. But thats ok. he in top 3.

The Nick Bosa we played Monday night was also carrying injuries into the game. So he wasnt at peak level.

dont let the facts get in your way.

You are defending the indefensible. We have been running this waggle with a Guard pulling since SP got here. We ran this same play with the same LG.

The bottom line here is Peats execution of the play was woeful. His feet, his leverage and his inability to adjust ( due to footwork and leverage ) is why this play was blown up if not for the heady play by Drew to dump down to Murray.

This isnt the first time, nor the last, you will see threads on Peat because he has earned himself a reputation in pass protection. Thats all.

If you dont like the threads and what they have to say, simply ignore.

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
nick is not the highest paid defensive player in the game. But thats ok. he in top 3.

The Nick Bosa we played Monday night was also carrying injuries into the game. So he wasnt at peak level.

You are defending the indefensible. We have been running this waggle with a Guard pulling since SP got here. We ran this same play with the same LG.

The bottom line here is Peats execution of the play was woeful. His feet, his leverage and his inability to adjust ( due to footwork and leverage ) is why this play was blown up if not for the heady play by Drew to dump down to Murray.

This isnt the first time, nor the last, you will see threads on Peat because he has earned himself a reputation in pass protection. Thats all.

I suppose the basic question here is whether or not that opinion is fully justified. I don't think it is really when you watch the film. Case in point, if you watch the film from Monday night you'll very likely see that Peat was very solid to good throughout the game. However, there was a play, as highlighted in this thread, which was a minus and lead to a pressure and QB hit. That one play is then used anecdotally to colour the rest of his play during the game and this season and his career. You can find plays in the game from other OLinemen (TA and Ram both gave of up sacks) and do the same thing...and yet, no one seems to. For others with better reputations (here on this board anyway), those individual plays are not symptomatic, just an aberration or else, just one play out of many.

It is what it is and it doesn't really make any difference to anyone that matters. But that's the bottom line - Peat got a reputation in his first year (unpopular draft pick, out of shape, etc) and any play where he gets a minus (and admittedly he manages to look really clumsy when he does), gets added on to that rep, regardless of his overall performance.

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score

It’s Joey Bosa. It’s not indefensible. https://www.google.com/search?q=hig...ayer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Three years ago, I thought Peat was settling in and had become a good, reliable guard. But his injuries, which have affected his conditioning, have really set him back, a pattern that has repeated this season. He outplayed Ruiz against San Diego, but to me Easton looks better than Peat. The question is whether Ruiz is good enough to install at RG (really he needs to be at C, but that may not happen until next year now), in which case Easton can start at LG. Ruiz played well against Detroit but struggled against San Diego. Of course, the higher quality of D line play from the Chargers had a lot to do with that, as well as Ruiz's youth and the fact that he didn't get a real off season to prepare both due to COVID and injury.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)