We Are Better without Peat (3 Viewers)

I don't have an issue with the blocking scheme as such. We used to do a lot more of it though it was usually the RG pulling to left side. I would argue that while I understand it from a numbers perspective, pulling the guard away from where the run fake is going minimises the value of the pull action, play action fake - can't see too many LB's being fooled by that. Also, normally that play has the QB moving off his spot a little bit, away from the side where the guard is pulling to. Why? Because the distance between the QB and DE doesn't change but you're asking the guard to pull and get into that direct line - better to change the angle and distance of that direct line to give your guard a better chance. So, I think while the theory is sound, the design was a little off.

That being said, Peat missed the block, plain and simple.

If there's anything in his defense, I suppose also that Bosa is a top 3 Pass Rushing DE which doesn't help. By the same token, serving up a top 3 rusher the same set up/ set is asking for sacks - you have to change things up from time to time.

So that was the first time we ran that play in the game. Late in game.

The DE did exactly what was expected and Peat was exactly where he needed to be. Wasnt early or late. Bosa did a quick hitch to inside and made Peat look like a fool in doing so. His footwork was so sloppy its the reason he looks so clumsy when missing the block. Normally the DE will continue "upfield" and the LG will simply ride him up and out.

Drew was gonna set to throw but because Bosa made the inside move, he had to curl out. ...meaning Peat would have actually had prime position since Bosa twitched inside. But again, without having a solid base ( footwork ) he couldnt recover and keep Bosa inside.

It was a very ugly play.

The real issue is we keep attempting these types of plays with a Guard who is average at best at pass pro. I guess against lesser DEs it works, but this one was just ugly.

KISS principle goes a long way. stop being cute and just execute a game plan with aggression. There is a time for trick plays but this seems over complicated for no good reason. I don’t think Ram needed help with Bosa. If he did chip with a TE. CSP is too cute.

and CSP is a genius.. and the concept was good if executed. I’m just frustrated with the team is all.

I know what it is... for some reason we pull (or move/reach) our Linemen on pass plays too, and that player has to "reach" up field for the rusher, while keeping him from getting behind his back (which was the uber fail here)... In last night's case it was Peat reaching for a DE.... and as per his dozen or so times a a year.... He reached and completely missed, letting the DE get inside Scott free.... ending up with his pants on the ground and a free runner at the QB (ball handler).

Apologies, I see what you mean now. I guess I'd call that more of a kick out than a reach. But terminology differs.

I admit though, I have very rarely seen him do that (though that could be my memory failing). I remember Ruiz doing that from RG to left side a few times last game, and I remember Warford doing a lot of it in past years. I honestly don't recall seeing Peat do it very often - and last night might be why!

As I mentioned above, I think it wasn't the best designed play action with the RB filling for the pulling guard, and also with the QB not moving from his normal spot...generally should be moving him away from the free DE side. I'd have to look at film at other instances but that's what I recollect.

So that was the first time we ran that play in the game. Late in game.

The DE did exactly what was expected and Peat was exactly where he needed to be. Wasnt early or late. Bosa did a quick hitch to inside and made Peat look like a fool in doing so. His footwork was so sloppy its the reason he looks so clumsy when missing the block. Normally the DE will continue "upfield" and the LG will simply ride him up and out.

Drew was gonna set to throw but because Bosa made the inside move, he had to curl out. ...meaning Peat would have actually had prime position since Bosa twitched inside. But again, without having a solid base ( footwork ) he couldnt recover and keep Bosa inside.

Pretty sure the first time we've run that play this year to be honest.

Yes, the footwork is poor though there's always that difficulty of having a narrow base for speed (to get from point a to point b) and then widening it to build security.

I think the bigger issue is that his punch gets him off balance...fine if you land it perfectly, but problematic when you miss. And playing against ninja hand master like Bosa means you have to punch and connect without over committing your weight too much forward.

Again, my view is that it's best to move the QB 2-3 yards from his normal spot, away from that block as you're automatically giving up territory by giving the DE a free release.

The real issue is we keep attempting these types of plays with a Guard who is average at best at pass pro.
Don't know why Payton thinks Peat is Jahri Evans. Peat looks more like a dancing bear than a pulling guard. After the break, I would love to see us put Easton at LG and Ruiz at RG or C (in which case McCoy would move over to RG), but I'm afraid Payton is wedded to Peat.

He's definitely arrived now. Seeing a lot of "dislikes" :LOL:

It’s the same couple people that come in hot defending Peat on these threads all the time and that’s fine. Hey, I get that people who are more “students of the game” see something in him that maybe the causal fan does not.

I get that physically he has the tools - he’s big and got tree trunk legs and seemingly can use his mass to move bodies - but I think the offensive line as a unit and therefore the offense as a whole is less effective with Peat in.

For whatever reason

Last edited:
Same reason a RG pulls on a left side run play.

This would usually result in a stonewall block because Bosa comes off with NO contest. So he isnt braced for contact. Thats THE DESIGN.

its not poor design. its abysmal execution by just one guy.
It's poor design. Please learn the game and then say this. You don't pull a LG on a passing play against arguably the best pass rusher in football. I understand running plays but not passing.

It's poor design. Please learn the game and then say this. You don't pull a LG on a passing play against arguably the best pass rusher in football. I understand running plays but not passing.

LOL sure you do. especially on boot action.

It was play action ( albeit poor play action ) to move the DEs eyes enough to allow Peat to come across and stonewall him.

but you do so with knowing the limitations your LG has. Which are plenty in pass pro.

Others have said, you have some familial connection with Peat. So its probably best you just stay away from these discussions because you are emotionally involved. I get its hard to read all this, and look to blame poor design.

And i would agree...you dont design a play that puts arguably the worst pass protecting guard on one of the games top DEs. You are correct in that aspect.

Might be cumulative mental fatigue from all the constant nagging injury.

peat has been very good at times when healthy. “When healthy”. Which hasn’t been a lot. He ends up playing dinged and doesn’t play well.

This year is as bad as he!s looked. It’s another of those patterns that everyone can see and it is on the coaches to fix one way or another. Risk is with the new contract they just stay with it and don’t fix it.

LOL sure you do. especially on boot action.

It was play action ( albeit poor play action ) to move the DEs eyes enough to allow Peat to come across and stonewall him.

but you do so with knowing the limitations your LG has. Which are plenty in pass pro.

Others have said, you have some familial connection with Peat. So its probably best you just stay away from these discussions because you are emotionally involved. I get its hard to read all this, and look to blame poor design.

And i would agree...you dont design a play that puts arguably the worst pass protecting guard on one of the games top DEs. You are correct in that aspect.
I'm not related at all. They are joking because I look at the video. I defended him last year and thought the saints would resign him. In fact in one thread Rev Deuce kept telling me I was wrong an the saints coaches were in agreement with him.

If he had played at LSU people would love him but since he is a so called outsider he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not related at all. They are joking because I look at the video. I defended him last year and thought the saints would resign him. In fact in one thread Rev Deuce kept telling me I was wrong an the saints coaches were in agreement with him.

If he had played at LSU people would love him but since he is a so called outsider he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Then if you look at ALL the video of pass pro, you will see what almost everyone sees. A below-average ability to pass protect. Period.

Yes, he is good/really good in run game. No doubt. You get zero argument from me.

but in pass sets, he is really poor.

You mentioned i need to watch more football....every team in the league that runs a waggle/boot, will pull the guard ( LG or RG depending on side ) to protect the QB.

here from 2018 go to 2:50 - THE EXACT SAME PLAY. with EXACT SAME PLAYER. Here the DE DT did a stunt so PEAT had very little to do. But this is not some bad play design as you described. at 2:16 we ran same play with RG Warford.

every other pass pro there is straight up because its a straight drop back.

Then if you look at ALL the video of pass pro, you will see what almost everyone sees. A below-average ability to pass protect. Period.

Yes, he is good/really good in run game. No doubt. You get zero argument from me.

but in pass sets, he is really poor.

You mentioned i need to watch more football....every team in the league that runs a waggle/boot, will pull the guard ( LG or RG depending on side ) to protect the QB.

here from 2018 go to 2:50 - THE EXACT SAME PLAY. with EXACT SAME PLAYER. Here the DE DT did a stunt so PEAT had very little to do. But this is not some bad play design as you described. at 2:16 we ran same play with RG Warford.

every other pass pro there is straight up because its a straight drop back.

The video won’t play for me. Was it against Nick Bosa who is the highest paid defender in the game?

The video won’t play for me. Was it against Nick Bosa who is the highest paid defender in the game?

nick is not the highest paid defensive player in the game. But thats ok. he in top 3.

The Nick Bosa we played Monday night was also carrying injuries into the game. So he wasnt at peak level.

dont let the facts get in your way.

You are defending the indefensible. We have been running this waggle with a Guard pulling since SP got here. We ran this same play with the same LG.

The bottom line here is Peats execution of the play was woeful. His feet, his leverage and his inability to adjust ( due to footwork and leverage ) is why this play was blown up if not for the heady play by Drew to dump down to Murray.

This isnt the first time, nor the last, you will see threads on Peat because he has earned himself a reputation in pass protection. Thats all.

If you dont like the threads and what they have to say, simply ignore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom