We are lucky football fans!!! (1 Viewer)

tophergillock

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
We are...and have been now for a few years...watching some of the best QB's in NFL history. Tom Brady who is the modern day Joe Montana and just seems to win, Payton Manning who can manipulate a defense like no other QB ever has, Drew Brees who can make every throw in the game look easy and might be the smartest QB of the bunch, Ben Rothlisberger who is tough as nails and can keep plays alive(he also finds ways to win), Phillip Rivers who is smart and throws a nice ball, and Arron Rodgers who might throw the deep ball better than anyone.

Then you have Romo(hate to even say his name but he is good when the season is not on the line) Mcnabb, Eli, and the list goes on.

Is this the best group of QB's at one time in the league ever?

I think so ...what do you think?

I was following you until the Romo part.

The "best" group?

Maybe the "most protected" group.

You realize that this ain't yer Daddy's NFL, don'tchya?

Calling Tom Brady the "modern day Joe Montana" is quite an insult to Joe Montana, who never had the luxury of running out of the hash marks to throw a ball away.

Better quarterbacks? Hardly. Better rules? Definitely.

Marino, Montana, Fouts, Moon, Staubach, Bradshaw, Simms, Theismann, Jaworski, Anderson, Bartkowski, Williams, Stabler, Archie Manning were all active 1979 to 1984. I enjoy the guys we have now, but no, we aren't in a special time for QBs. You could similarly go for times with Elway, Farve, et al later on, or if you get into pre-merger era a number of great QBs were active in the 60s at the same time.

Marino, Montana, Fouts, Moon, Staubach, Bradshaw, Simms, Theismann, Jaworski, Anderson, Bartkowski, Williams, Stabler, Archie Manning were all active 1979 to 1984. I enjoy the guys we have now, but no, we aren't in a special time for QBs. You could similarly go for times with Elway, Farve, et al later on, or if you get into pre-merger era a number of great QBs were active in the 60s at the same time.

You're so missing the point... We have a lot of QBs that can (and have) break a lot of records.

Actually, thinking about it from top to bottom, the league is in one of the darker QB periods outside the top despite the pass happy rules and offensive strategy today. We may pass more, but I remember a lot greater depth in the league in the 70s 80s and 90s. The mid level "good" but not "great" QBs are largely absent in the league this year.

You're so missing the point... We have a lot of QBs that can (and have) break a lot of records.
That's largely due to rules, season length, and the push to have the 'exciting' passing game succeed, not to talent. At the time under the rules/emphasis of the game at the time those guys were breaking records too.

It's just how the game has changed. In the NFL right now, teams are passing the ball more and more, which is "inflating" the stats of the QBs and WRs when compared to players from the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.

And to the guy who said Joe Montana didn't have the luxury of "throwing the ball away", he DID have the luxury of the West Coast Offense, which was a revolutionary Offense under Bill Walsh.

It's like how Mike Vick was so good when he first came into the NFL. This is a guy unlike any other we'd seen before in the NFL; the arm of a QB, and the speed of a lightning fast RB? It took teams a good while to figure Mike Vick out.

That's largely due to rules, season length, and the push to have the 'exciting' passing game succeed, not to talent. At the time under the rules/emphasis of the game at the time those guys were breaking records too.

You have a point with the rules... Can you really say it's not due to evolution of the game though? (as far as athletic people at every position)

Brodie, Tarkenton, Dawson, Manning, Staubach, Griese, Plunkett, Lamonica, Pastorini, Jurgensen, Unitas, Namath, Ken Anderson, Stabler, Gabriel (who chucked for the equivalent of 3700 yards one season when bumping receivers all the way was cool), Bart Starr, Earl Morrall, Don Meredith, Kemp, Blanda: 1968-1973.

They generally called their own plays, ran the offense, and passed for then very high yards. If you go per attempt and consider that stickem, unlimited abuse of receivers and the like were the norm (and deflections like Denver's touchdown last week were illegal), they were much better than today's QBs. You're not going to find 20 much better QBs active since 2003. Depending on your evaluations, equal at best, and with 32 teams in the league now, there are a lot more Kyle Orton's and the like starting for years than there were in the past.

Here's the forever and ever list and some breakouts pre-1977: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/7_2281_Career_passer_rating_leaders.html

All of it is just on the modern passer rating formula, not yards or TDs or anything distinct like that.

If you watched Griese or Staubach live, or even Unitas and Namath (mostly old games and highlights for me), I think you'd be hard pressed to find 1 out of 10 people that would actually argue that Jake Delhomme or Trent Green were head and shoulders above those 4. And would you say Lomax is 20 spots better than Namath or even Aikman? So the rating doesn't tell the whole story. I still think the biggest difference is that there are a number of times 20+ teams had very good to great QBs, and that simply isn't the case this year.

BTW, my all time favorite spot on the list is Rick Mirer sandwiched right between Namath and Layne, yeah, that fits he should be in the HoF :)

he isnt saying its the 'best' but definitely a special time. i know the rules have changed... but that sounds like the folks who wanted an asterisk by roger maris' name when he broke the babe's record.

...edit he is saying its the best... i disagree but no doubt it is an amazing group.

I think it's an extremely thin group outside of the top 8 or so, who beyond Brees, Manning, Brady, Rivers (based on him continuing healthy at his current rate), Roethlisberger, Warner, Farve, and pick your last (Romo? Palmer?), has much of a chance of being remembered in 20 years?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom