We currently have $35 million in dead money. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, damn... Next year we are at $5 million in dead money so far...

I mean if that tell us at alot on why we couldn't bring in good free agent help. I don't know what would.

$35 million is A LOT of money. That's 5 to 7 very good starters right there easily man, sickening.

I said this in another thread, but there's your 2 guards, 1 veteran WR, 1 offensive tackle, 1 defensive lineman, and the couple of corners that we need right there.

$35 million is A LOT of money. That's 5 to 7 very good starters right there easily man, sickening.

I said this in another thread, but there's your 2 guards, 1 veteran WR, 1 offensive tackle, 1 defensive lineman, and the couple of corners that we need right there.

So hopefully, barring something weird going on with drew's contract, we will get to see this team go on a spending spree. :9:

2 to 3 Elite players

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Every team has dead money. EVERY TEAM.

The last few years, our dead money has been an absurd amount and the impact on the field cannot be denied. However, our front office has stood pat in an effort to make 2016 the last off-season significantly hindered by dead money.

5 million in dead money doesn't sound nearly as bad as it's been lately in the wake of the Junior and Jimmy contracts.

2 to 3 Elite players

Yep 3 elite players, or 1 elite defensive lineman and 3 to 4 solid starters. Or an elite corner (maybe we outbid Washington for Norman) and an elite offensive guard with 2 more good players.

No matter how you slice it up, our roster is devoid of talent, mainly due to the Gallette and Graham deals along with the bad drafts.

Fortunately we have an all-world QB, or else this thing would be Ditka-era bad. I'm talking 3-13.

Yep 3 elite players, or 1 elite defensive lineman and 3 to 4 solid starters. Or an elite corner (maybe we outbid Washington for Norman) and an elite offensive guard with 2 more good players.

No matter how you slice it up, we screwed ourselves, mainly with the Graham and Gallette deals.

Who would have known at the time though. That's the thing, as much as I want to be mad at Loomis, Jimmy and Junior were performing at very high levels when they got their deals.

The last few years, our dead money has been an absurd amount and the impact on the field cannot be denied. However, our front office has stood pat in an effort to make 2016 the last off-season significantly hindered by dead money.

5 million in dead money doesn't sound nearly as bad as it's been lately in the wake of the Junior and Jimmy contracts.

Not Like us...

The last two years... We have had a combined $70 million in dead money...

The next closet team is at $46 million. Then it drops to around $39 million. Jesus... This is horrendous.

We go through this every year. You can't celebrate a low amount of dead money early in the year. Dead money gets created at the end of the season when the team cuts players that are owed money in future contracts. If we cut some of our free agents next year with big salary numbers, it will jack up the dead money number again.

There were people last year arguing that we would have a low dead money number this year, but it didn't turn out that way. So, you don't know what the dead money number will be until next offseason.

I do know this. Loomis and Payton and Benson have put up ridiculous dead money numbers over the last several years including this year now. It's a sure sign of bad personnel decisions.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Don't tell me you were mad that Jimmy and Junior got the contracts they did when they did. It sucks but I can't be mad we tried to keep our high profile players. Now were doing what we have to in order to get out of it.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Don't tell me you were mad that Jimmy and Junior got the contracts they did when they did. It sucks but I can't be mad we tried to keep our high profile players.
I wanted them to both walk. Felt like paying top dollar for a TE wasn't a necessity and I never was a fan of Junior.

Well, damn... Next year we are at $5 million in dead money so far...

I mean if that tell us at alot on why we couldn't bring in good free agent help. I don't know what would.

That's a part of the problem. Another part of the problem is 30 million dollars to our quarterback who said he would give up some money when the team needed it and then didn't do it. That was a part of the problem this year that was actually made public when it happened during the Josh Norman debacle. After that, I can only imagine that the team cut short any negotiations with a free agent guard.

Who would have known at the time though. That's the thing, as much as I want to be mad at Loomis, Jimmy and Junior were performing at very high levels when they got their deals.
Yea it was unfortunate. Junior signing was premature but on field I thought he earned it. Then he jus went crazy off the field. Jimmy I kinda blame front office. I woulda let him walk but we did get some good pieces trading him.

There's your offensive line.

Every team has dead money, some more than others. There are plently of teams this year that are hovering around $10 million dollar dead money. For a lot of teams, it is not a huge issue.

On the other hand, $35 million in dead cap is a huge hole to work out of! Really is unfortunate considering we only have so many prime Brees years left. Below is a current summary of dead cap by team and we are leading by a lot! Notice that most of your leaders here are teams not expected to be very good. Just saying -- this dead cap stat is among the strongest of reasons why not to set your expectations too high this year.

Team Dead Money
Saints $35,540,927
Browns $24,985,607
Falcons $21,170,053
Lions $17,038,626
Eagles $16,364,291
Rams $15,230,724
Bills $13,660,316
Patriots $10,638,278
Chiefs $10,605,648
Colts $10,152,761
Dolphins $10,081,556
Chargers $9,962,692
Giants $9,748,629
Steelers $9,278,233
Panthers $8,901,087
Seahawks $8,822,789
Bears $8,658,478
Redskins $8,651,236
Broncos $8,447,302
Titans $7,501,013
49ers $7,437,899
Jets $7,392,398
Ravens $6,938,956
Texans $5,659,079
Raiders $4,054,254
Cardinals $3,515,684
Vikings $2,308,809
Cowboys $931,982
Packers $762,121
Buccaneers $651,901
Jaguars $407,145
Bengals $245,437

Source: NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom