We Didn't Get Lucky (1 Viewer)

And my response was a tad flippant, so let's just call a truce and do what we do best on this forum, which is to intelligently and respectfully exchange opinions that at times are very different. I agree that it might take several years to fairly evaluate a draft pick. But I disagree that it is inappropriate to comment on a draft selection until several years have passed. In fact, I have long taken the position that in fairness one should be critical of the personnal decision at the time it was made before being critical of it years later. And if we are going to wait years before commenting on the merits of draft selections, is there any reason to visit saintsreport.com?

I was a bit disappointed when we picked Vaccaro. But the disappointment was that we did not trade down in the first round and also pick up a second round pick, that we did not have a chance to pick Richardson or Lotulelei, and that--listening to Detillier on WWL talking about Floyd--we did not pick the more highly rated tackle who was still on the board. But it was what it was. We didn't have a chance to pick Richardson and Lotulelei, we probably didn't have a chance to trade down in the first and pick up a second, and Floyd may not be the defensive lineman for what we want to do on defense--which left two players.

Jarvis Jones may turn out to be a tremendous pro, but he had some real negatives. Between the two, I cannot say the Vaccaro pick was a bad one.

Guys, I don't always defend our organization. Allow me a chance to say something somewhat positive about what the front office did.

PS And I also wonder whether the Vaccaro pick will come up in Payton's next visit with Jerry.

At the beginning of the draft I thought Kenny was the pick if he was there at 15. I didn't think Floyd would still be there and was a bit surprised we didn't draft him.

But I do think Kenny was a great pick. I had Floyd rated as a top 10 pick and thought Kenny was a middle teens pick. Kenny and RR hit if off and I think Sean and Mickey were all together on the consensus. But yeah... I would have chosen Floyd. Maybe he was considered but Kenny was a more unanimous choice.

Is our defensive line really a big problem? I thought they were decent last year aside from a lack of sacks. Bunkley, Jordan, Hicks and Johnson are all pretty good and Smith is still a a good DE. Not saying we couldn't use a stud in that mix but I don't think it's a particularly weak group. Now that we're going with a 3-4 the pass rushing responsibility shifts more to the LB corp and think we have three pretty good people in that group. (Wilson, Gallett and Butler. Has everyone forgotten about Butler?)

I've always liked Roman Harper but he's lost more than a step and was never fast to begin with so it was time to upgrade that spot. Is Vaccaro the right player? I don't know and neither does anyone else. The same can be said for any one of last night's pick. He is the highest rated safety in the draft so whatever happens in the future it was a good pick given what the staff knows at this point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom