We don't have a defensive identity (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Obviously our defense needs massive improvements to become a super bowl caliber team. But I think one of the reasons our defense is so poor, besides some of the personnel, is because we don't have a defensive identity. OK were known for playing a lot of man defense but in the last two seasons all we've really been known for is giving up big plays. We're not known for heavy blitzing or having a monster D-line, or a tough LB-unit and we definitely not known in high regards for our secondary.

I think to get to the promise land one part of our defense needs to be dominant (ala Dome Patrol LBs).

So I ask the forum what unit should we focus on trying to improve the most?
D-Line
Linebackers
Secondary

I would say the D-line. We need another force at DT to force double teams to allow Smith and Grant to get one on one blocking. It will also allow bigger gaps for the LBs to get through on blitzes. This year we blitzed alot in some games but they were always picked up. Granted we need a real MLB (if Simoneau played the whole season at MLB, how bad was Simmons? But then again, Pierre Thomas didn't get serviceable minutes and carries until wk 17.) playing for our defense but if we can get better pressure from the line, the defense overall will get better.

You're right. It's the DL. I understand the obsession with upgrading at CB absolutely, we need 2-3 new CBs to come from free agency and the draft. But I think our top priority at 10th is to get Sedrick Ellis, and we need to push for Corey Williams. You build your defense first up the middle, starting in the trenches. A DT occupies blocks for DEs and LBs, collapses a pocket giving a quarterback the inability to step up to avoid edge rushers, and puts less pressure on the secondary.

Plus, we have little depth there. Hollis Thomas is less and less reliable with each year and behind him we don't have one guy I'm wholly confident in.

I totally agree.
We need ends/tackles that can completely wreak havok on an defensive line and disrupt the QB's train of thorught, crumble the pocket, not give him time to read, nothing. If we did that and upgraded to even a decent man coverage corner then he'd look like Champ Bailey in his prime if the QB only had 2 seconds to make a read and throw the ball.
It all starts with the D-Line but with all our other needs with may fall in comparison to the D-Line I doubt we'll upgrade it at all.

Last edited:
You build your team upfront, nobody behind the offensive or defensive line can do there job, if they don't do there's.

The DE's need to lose weight, plain and simple. After watching teams in the PLAYOFFS I have come to one conclusion.

Their DEs are speed guys that have decent size but aren't huge like Grant. They play the run decently but not great and they provide consistent pressure on the QB (knock downs, hurries, sacks, etc). The Linebackers and DT's play the run and the DEs are the dogs of war so to speak that have a mission of hurting the QB.

It has been said numerous times that you build a team on defense from the defensive line back to the linebackers and then the secondary. The DEs need to slim down and we need to bring in some youger players on defense and change the scheme because there is something wrong with out scheme.

Grant is a DT playing DE and it hurts considerably on the pass rush especially in a league where split seconds are the difference between a sack or no sack. LOSE WEIGHT!

Smith is good to go at his size and was double teamed often and when he wasn't he was putting some sort of pressure on the QB and plays the run well.

Hollis needs to lose weight. DT should be large but not massive. Let Young go in FA. Bring a FA DT or one in the draft in the first 3 rounds. I would prefer a FA DT and then go after a DT in next years draft because Clancy and Lake are good to go.

Fujita looks great compared to the other 2 and is starting LB material.

Make Shanle a back up because that's what he is. He has had a large amount of missed tackles and if a LB can't tackle then he should be sitting on the sidelines.

Draft or FA for the other 2 LB positions. (Briggs, Dan Connor, etc)

Sign a FA in the secondary and draft in the first three rounds. (stay away from Samuel, bring in the player from the Raiders (don't want to hack his name up) or Trufant, Gibril Wilson, the CB from Kansas, etc)

I think the saints defense has an identity and it is the line. What the saints don't have is that one or two defensive players (or offensive without deuce) who leads and challenges the other players on gameday. None of the players on defense except McKenzie had the "skins on the wall" to be a consistent motivator.

Smith and grant were not making any great plays to challenge others. The LBs certainly were not tearing it up on the field. DBs couldn't challenge anyone else to step up.

This is the biggest problem I see on the saints team, there are really no "mouths" who will get in another players face and challenge them to step it up. Too often people label these guys as problems but you need those guys to bring the team UP.

The saints play hard but they are soft in scheme which I think translates to the players psyche.

Of course we have an identity. It's called "Oley"

first let me state that i'm a firm believer in getting the best men up front.However our problem was giving up the long ball. I am firmly convinced that we need to address this problem first and begin our building (rebuilding implies you had one in the first place) with the FS,SS positions. No matter who plays the corners, if the qb has all day to pass then they will get burned. It is essential that they have help.Next we work on the LB corp. By improving here against the short pass and run, the line will be able to focus more on the pass rush. IMO,Gibbs set up this defense to stop the run first and formost and make the other teams one dimensional, the secondary was not up to the challenge. Getting the pass rush going relieves pressure on the rest of the secondary and you will have a bonafide defense, but we must stop the bleeding first. All of these scenarios can be addressed this off-season with some ceative thinking from the FO. SS,FS,MLB,DE(slimmer,taller,faster)....peace

The have an identity. They're soft, lacking in talent, and without effort.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom