We gotta replace Streif (1 Viewer)

Strief is just too big, and his footwork is too slow, to even play RT effectively.

I agree he should be replaced... hopefully this coming season.

I can't understand why folks wanna replace a solid player. Throw out the lost season in which the Saints still had a top 10 ranked offensive line and only allowed 26 sacks for the season-- that's 1.6 sacks per game-- and look to the last season that wasn't marred by Bountygate.

TRIPLETT'S TAKE

Strief was one of the most underrated players on the Saints' roster before he took over as the starting right tackle last year. And now, after he helped the Saints break the NFL record for yards in a season, he's still one of the most underrated players on the roster.

Strief is a standout right tackle, with some deceptive athleticism for his hulking size. That's essential in a sophisticated Saints offense that requires a lot from its linemen. And Strief knows the offense intimately, having spent six seasons in New Orleans now after being drafted in the seventh round out of Northwestern.

Strief allowed just two sacks in 13 games last season, including the playoffs.

New Orleans Saints top 25 countdown: Zach Strief, No. 21 | NOLA.com

SAINTS CENTER BRIAN DE LA PUENTE's TAKE: "Both on and off the field he's a great example, an epitome of an NFL player. He's a vocal leader in the locker room and leads by example. And coaches love him because he puts precise technique on film. He shows that the technique being coached works. He's a smart player, and he knows when to use certain techniques. He knows what puts him in best position to win.

"And what makes a great o-lineman is having a little bit of a mean streak. He definitely has that."

Team captain; wins the Jim Finks award; well respected by peers and coaches; is part of one of the best lines in all of the NFL?

Yup time to replace him.

I can't understand why folks wanna replace a solid player. Throw out the lost season in which the Saints still had a top 10 ranked offensive line and only allowed 26 sacks for the season-- that's 1.6 sacks per game-- and look to the last season that wasn't marred by Bountygate.

TRIPLETT'S TAKE

Strief was one of the most underrated players on the Saints' roster before he took over as the starting right tackle last year. And now, after he helped the Saints break the NFL record for yards in a season, he's still one of the most underrated players on the roster.

Strief is a standout right tackle, with some deceptive athleticism for his hulking size. That's essential in a sophisticated Saints offense that requires a lot from its linemen. And Strief knows the offense intimately, having spent six seasons in New Orleans now after being drafted in the seventh round out of Northwestern.

Strief allowed just two sacks in 13 games last season, including the playoffs.

New Orleans Saints top 25 countdown: Zach Strief, No. 21 | NOLA.com

SAINTS CENTER BRIAN DE LA PUENTE's TAKE: "Both on and off the field he's a great example, an epitome of an NFL player. He's a vocal leader in the locker room and leads by example. And coaches love him because he puts precise technique on film. He shows that the technique being coached works. He's a smart player, and he knows when to use certain techniques. He knows what puts him in best position to win.

"And what makes a great o-lineman is having a little bit of a mean streak. He definitely has that."

Like I said. Either we could give him a pass because of his leadership abilities the way that we do Will Smith or we can put him back to a backup. He belongs a backup. He would get owned by good defensive ends if he wasn't getting help.

Also, you are missing the biggest point of all. Strief blocks for Drew Brees. Arguable the best Quarterback in our league. Of course he's going to get good stats. Brees makes everyone look good. Pull Brees out and we're screwed.

Like I said. Either we could give him a pass because of his leadership abilities the way that we do Will Smith or we can put him back to a backup. He belongs a backup. He would get owned by good defensive ends if he wasn't getting help.

Also, you are missing the biggest point of all. Strief blocks for Drew Brees. Arguable the best Quarterback in our league. Of course he's going to get good stats. Brees makes everyone look good. Pull Brees out and we're screwed.

That's your opinion and one I highly disagree with. I've been all over the web trying to find anything that backs up your opinion. All I can find is praise.

Zach had one bad game last year against the Packers and Matthews. When he was injured the offense suffered. Our offensive line was the best in the NFL in 2011 and even in the Bountygate lost season was ranked in the top 5 of most rankings including #3 by ESPN.

I have no clue what you are basing the apathy for Zach on but please do tell. Aside from your very general opinionated reason, which is loaded with untruths, give some examples of what all the hurry and need to replace him is.

I think just about every position on the field suffered last season including Drew who threw so many interceptions that he was at the top of the interceptions thrown list. It's always better to make an upgrade-- even at QB-- if it's a real upgrade. But replacing a solid player for what? Come again?

Oh and I'm not missing the biggest point-- that you just made after you stated I missed it-- pull Drew and we are screwed? If that's the rationale then every player on the team needs to be replaced. It makes no sense. The receivers are better. the defense is better, the running backs are better, the coaches are better. I mean really-- that's just nonsense.

Listen, Strief aint no Stinchcomb. Leadership skills means nothing when you are constantly being beaten physically and costing games.

Come one fellas....we have given a Strief a pass because he's a good ole boy but his play on the field has not warranted him the salary we've given him or the starting role. He's an undrafted guy who Drew made into a starter, nothing more nothing less. Give him the vet min or cut him.

So you want Saints Report to cut him?

Come one fellas....we have given a Strief a pass because he's a good ole boy but his play on the field has not warranted him the salary we've given him or the starting role.

Ok, ok. After we take our final vote, we'll call up the staff and have them cut him.

Guitarzan, that article was from July of 2012, let's see if the same thing is said in an off-season article THIS YEAR. Streif had a bad year last season, like many Saints Ill give you, but he really struggled even when there was no change scheme wise for him to be confused by (unlike our defensive players). There is no problem with having competition and wanting to see improvements at that position.

Guitarzan, that article was from July of 2012, let's see if the same thing is said in an off-season article THIS YEAR. Streif had a bad year last season, like many Saints Ill give you, but he really struggled even when there was no change scheme wise for him to be confused by (unlike our defensive players). There is no problem with having competition and wanting to see improvements at that position.

I know when the article was from. I explicitly pointed that out. I'll take an upgrade at every position. If that's gonna be the premise under which we replace players then we should replace every player on the team.

The only game that I could find where Zack really struggled more than anyone else on the line was against Clay Matthews.

I'm not saying he is spectacular He is a solid player on an excellent line.

Apart from some opinion about being a good ol boy and team leader and nothing more of real playing value, it would be educational to see something more solid to base the need to replace him on.

I know when the article was from. I explicitly pointed that out. I'll take an upgrade at every position. If that's gonna be the premise under which we replace players then we should replace every player on the team.

The only game that I could find where Zack really struggled more than anyone else on the line was against Clay Matthews.

Apart from some opinion about being a good ol boy and team leader and nothing more of real playing value, it would be educational to see something more solid to base the need to replace him on.

Guitarzan - he needs to be replaced. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the weak links are on our offensive line. Strief got dominated last year and he even admitted it. Let the 7th rounder try out for another team.

Guitarzan - he needs to be replaced. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the weak links are on our offensive line. Strief got dominated last year and he even admitted it. Let the 7th rounder try out for another team.

He took the blame for one game and even then it was the case of a total line failure.

Ok, in terms that don't require a rocket scientist's aptitude to understand,
give something aside from your opinion.

Dominated how and when and by whom?

Specifics please.

I'm afraid he was pretty awful last year. Would 'struggled' be a good word to describe how Justin Houston handled him?

One thing both Strief and Brees agreed upon was that he would have caught it if the play had worked as planned.

"I remember throwing about three balls in practice right at about his face mask, and he'd just snatch 'em," Brees said. "He's a really good athlete. You should see him play basketball."

New Orleans Saints offensive tackle Zach Strief blames himself for missed touchdown catch | NOLA.com

What does this have anything to do with his play on the oline? I could care less if he can catch or not.

I'm afraid he was pretty awful last year. Would 'struggled' be a good word to describe how Justin Houston handled him?

Everyone struggled in that game. We had two rushing first downs all game.

If there is a good upgrade then let it take place. If going back and finding horrible situations from last year is the template to replace players than no player is safe.

We gave up less than 2 sacks per game with the 25th ranked run offense. Disparity like that makes it easy for a defense to rush the passer.

opposing defenses could blitz almost nonstop and be doing well because we rarely ran it in the 0-4 start, worse we sucked at throwing it too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom