We Had Better Find A Pass Rush ASAP!!! (2 Viewers)

tonythesaint

Pro-Bowler
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Diego, CA by way of McComb, Mississippi
It's not that I didn't already know this, but after watching the Titans @ Raiders game we need to figure out a way to get more pressure on the QB. It has been evident in the last 2 preseason games that we simply seem to be not so good at pressuring the QB. I know it's just the preseason and Blah, Blah, Blah but that means it's just the preseason for the opposing teams also and they only scripted a few plays. Yes we've had some untimely injuries, but this is life in the NFL. On a good note, Mariota and the Titans ate their defense for lunch, through the air and on the ground.

Fairley has been pretty good, but he'll need some help no doubt. I think Gwachum is playing pretty well. Have to see how much we improve with a recovering Rankins rejoining the line.

On the bright side, our rush defense looks alright.

How much blitzing, stunting, and zone pressures are we truly doing right now?

Way to bury the frigging lede in the last sentence of your post. The Raiders do have a pass rush and it got dissected by Marcus Mariota. With no o-line and few weapons compared to Big Ben. So maybe it's time to hold off on the panicking a little. It's not like we didn't generate a pass rush against NE and Hou.

We've been getting home quickly when we blitz.

The front 4 also played much better with Fairley in. That'll have to do until Rankins gets back.

Other guys aren't suddenly going to turn into great pass rushers.

Way to bury the frigging lede in the last sentence of your post. The Raiders do have a pass rush and it got dissected by Marcus Mariota. With no o-line and few weapons compared to Big Ben. So maybe it's time to hold off on the panicking a little. It's not like we didn't generate a pass rush against NE and Hou.

Just the facts. We had problems last 2 seasons getting pressure on the QB and getting off the field on 3rd down. We bring in Rankins he gets hurt, Kikaha is slated for Outside LB/DE he gets hurt, and now we rotate, pretty much unknowns with Gwacham and to a lesser extent Edibali and I shouldn't be concerned. I know it's just preseason but this is an ongoing issue from the last 2 years and I have yet to see the solution!

We've been getting home quickly when we blitz.

The front 4 also played much better with Fairley in.

Bonchie, I completely agree, the one player that has been playing lights out is Fairley. Maybe it's the lack of blitzing that is the problem. I'm hoping the Saints are just playing the preseason close to the vest, because I have seen other teams blitzing quite a bit more than us.

Just the facts. We had problems last 2 seasons getting pressure on the QB and getting off the field on 3rd down. We bring in Rankins he gets hurt, Kikaha is slated for Outside LB/DE he gets hurt, and now we rotate, pretty much unknowns with Gwacham and to a lesser extent Edibali and I shouldn't be concerned. I know it's just preseason but this is an ongoing issue from the last 2 years and I have yet to see the solution!

The solution is a improved Edebali, a much improved Tyeler Davison, Nick Fairley and Cam Jordan.

Having 2 coverage linebackers will help a ton when bringing the blitz. Now we can run safety blitzes, corner blitzes, stunts ect. They won't know where it's coming from. We didn't have this luxury last season

Harper can do what he excels at, kvac can blitz, we saw an awesome blitz from finnergan just the other day.

In 2003 LSU had three true and red shirt freshmen in their secondary and Nick Saban realized LSU had to blitz just about every play in order to stop people. I hope Dennis Allen comes to the same conclusion.

Such a bummer about Rankins, in that regard. Thank Jebus it's not a season ender.

We will blitz plenty. Allen is going to be what Gregg Williams was as far as aggressiveness, hopefully just a little more sound.

This.

I don't understand why they have the more rational argument when the last time our saints had a regular season game, we finished with the worst defense in the league, and bottom of the barrel in rushing the passer.

Because we got a draft pick, a good FA and had a couple of good preseason games, that means someone's argument that our pass rush needs to prove itself is invalid?

Sorry, that doesn't compute.

Seems like every team we faced had no problems running stunts and actions...

But we were pretty vanilla. I know our defense is supposed to be simpler to learn, but hard to figure out for offenses. We did almost zero disguising this preseason.

I think we'll have some nice packages to throw at Carr. But one thing I did notice is we can't lose containment because he can tuck and run a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom