We Had Better Find A Pass Rush ASAP!!! (4 Viewers)

We didn't have one before. Maybe you haven't said the magic words. Work on that.

While the pass rush is a concern, I actually believe that we are going to see improvement this year. First, IMO our back 7 is much deeper this year and I trust that Allen will scheme to bring guys from different positions to put pressure on the QB. Second, with Fairley and Davidson on the inside, and Rankins returning sooner than later, we should get a better push on the inside, which will help our DE's and LB's who may be coming on passing downs.
The concern I have is whether or not our offense can maintain it's rhythm with a questionable OL and we won't know that until they start playing for real on 9/11. As noted in other threads, the Raiders will be a real test and should give us some indication how Payton and Drew will scheme the offense to keep the chains moving. I also believe that this young team will take some time to gel. I just hope we don't dig outselves into the hole we have dug in the last couple of years early in the year!

While the pass rush is a concern, I actually believe that we are going to see improvement this year. First, IMO our back 7 is much deeper this year and I trust that Allen will scheme to bring guys from different positions to put pressure on the QB. Second, with Fairley and Davidson on the inside, and Rankins returning sooner than later, we should get a better push on the inside, which will help our DE's and LB's who may be coming on passing downs.
The concern I have is whether or not our offense can maintain it's rhythm with a questionable OL and we won't know that until they start playing for real on 9/11. As noted in other threads, the Raiders will be a real test and should give us some indication how Payton and Drew will scheme the offense to keep the chains moving. I also believe that this young team will take some time to gel. I just hope we don't dig outselves into the hole we have dug in the last couple of years early in the year!

I agree with the first part for sure.

I think we can take more chances because IT APPEARS that we have better cover guys allowing us to pressure more often without getting gashed

This is what I'm talking about, did anyone pay attention to Cam Jordan? He is not even trying hard to pressure the QB, he's trying to stay healthy and going through the motions. Week 1 will tell us what we need to know, not freaken preseason.

Look I hope to God I am wrong, but I don't understand how a team that has been historically bad can afford to play vanilla defense in preseason and somehow hope that things will magically gel over the course of the season. Our Qbs have been under duress and it's led to turnovers. Oh well I guess we were the only ones in those games that chose to play vanilla defense. I'm not saying throw every exotic blitz in the book we have at opposing teams, but we are not in a position to sit back and hope that we can generate pressure when needed.

Look I hope to God I am wrong, but I don't understand how a team that has been historically bad can afford to play vanilla defense in preseason and somehow hope that things will magically gel over the course of the season. Our Qbs have been under duress and it's led to turnovers. Oh well I guess we were the only ones in those games that chose to play vanilla defense. I'm not saying throw every exotic blitz in the book we have at opposing teams, but we are not in a position to sit back and hope that we can generate pressure when needed.

If our defense gels, it won't take magic. The talent is there. I'm sure you can see it. It'll take coaching and our players being smart, playing together. That sorta stuff.

Things will get even simpler once we've pared down the roster. And frankly, some of these cuts are going to be brutal. I don't envy our position at all. We'll have to let some guys go that might make another team's 53 man roster at some point.

If our defense gels, it won't take magic. The talent is there. I'm sure you can see it. It'll take coaching and our players being smart, playing together. That sorta stuff.

Things will get even simpler once we've pared down the roster. And frankly, some of these cuts are going to be brutal. I don't envy our position at all. We'll have to let some guys go that might make another team's 53 man roster at some point.

I hear you man. It is easy to see that our defense is better on paper and they pass the eye test. I think my biggest issue was wanting to see the improvements with pressure and our pass coverage against one of the top pass offenses in the league. It seemed like the Steelers threw the ball 40 times in a row before their first run and I saw zero pressure.

I hear you, but we're also a team been very healthy the past 2 years.

We will blitz plenty. Allen is going to be what Gregg Williams was as far as aggressiveness, hopefully just a little more sound.

I'm not so sure about that. I believe we'll see more blitzes than we did under RR, but I am not sure about it being close to GW level.

I will also add that the stubbornness of the coaching staff is part to blame as well. We lose our primary pass rusher before the season starts, and we do absolutely nothing to replace him or get a stop gap solution.

Fairley has been pretty good, but he'll need some help no doubt. I think Gwachum is playing pretty well. Have to see how much we improve with a recovering Rankins rejoining the line.

On the bright side, our rush defense looks alright.
We do have Edibali, Onyemata, (given he hasn't shown much yet ) and Jordan. I feel like our Defensive pass rush and the secondary will prove to be effective. I'm more worried about Oakland's defensive line and our swiss cheese Oline. Brees has to be concerned, as do our RB's.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Bonchie, I completely agree, the one player that has been playing lights out is Fairley. Maybe it's the lack of blitzing that is the problem. I'm hoping the Saints are just playing the preseason close to the vest, because I have seen other teams blitzing quite a bit more than us.
Fairley was doubled and made ineffective against Pitt. However this will open things up for our other defenders. Send Ellerbe, Robertson, Harper, Vaccaro on a blitz or run stunts and that becomes a handful for any line.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

This.

I don't understand why they have the more rational argument when the last time our saints had a regular season game, we finished with the worst defense in the league, and bottom of the barrel in rushing the passer.

Because we got a draft pick, a good FA and had a couple of good preseason games, that means someone's argument that our pass rush needs to prove itself is invalid?

Sorry, that doesn't compute.
Because it's logic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom