We have a Pope (3 Viewers)

That's debatable. The Copts, Greek Orthodox, and Roman Catholics can all stake a claim.

Not really. It's not a matter of a claim. All those ancient churches are equally old. The Church of Rome has no claim to primacy, but neither do the other ones.

Not really. It's not a matter of a claim. All those ancient churches are equally old. The Church of Rome has no claim to primacy, but neither do the other ones.

All of those church's acted in union until the schism. It was one church. So it's not really about being equally old. It's one common origin and the same ancestry and then a split.

So although I no longer consider myself a Catholic, I have to admit the new pope is a huge upgrade. From his contempt of the church's displays of wealth to his breaking with tradition to wash womens feet on holy thursday I think he is a step in the right direction towards a better planet

"The Lord created us in His image and likeness, and we are the image of the Lord, and He does good and all of us have this commandment at heart: do good and do not do evil. All of us. ‘But, Father, this is not Catholic! He cannot do good.’ Yes, he can. He must. Not can: must! Because he has this commandment within him. Instead, this ‘closing off’ that imagines that those outside, everyone, cannot do good is a wall that leads to war and also to what some people throughout history have conceived of: killing in the name of God. That we can kill in the name of God. And that, simply, is blasphemy. To say that you can kill in the name of God is blasphemy.”

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

Text from page Pope at Mass: Culture of encounter is the foundation of peace
of the Vatican Radio website

So although I no longer consider myself a Catholic, I have to admit the new pope is a huge upgrade. From his contempt of the church's displays of wealth to his breaking with tradition to wash womens feet on holy thursday I think he is a step in the right direction towards a better planet

I agree. While he has some things pre-ascension that I'm not thrilled with, I have been impressed with him so far in his new role. It's been a refreshing change.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom