We have a Superbowl caliber defense and we should try to keep it together for one more year. (1 Viewer)

This doesn't make sense. The only time when we have to pay it is on our term. As long the NFL exist. You might as well treat the cap in 5 year windows.
I agree. The cap will start going back up every year again at some point. This may be the only year that we had to readjust, hopefully we will be able to borrow a little bit from next years cap.

Even if we were to keep the 2020 defense completely in tact, we would still be two players short of a Super Bowl caliber defense: a complementary side-to-side LB to play with Davis, and a bonafide impact edge rusher. We want Davenport to be that guy on the edge, but he's not. Cam is getting older and always was more of an all-around end (especially good at setting the edge against the run). T Rex is close but no cigar. We couldn't do to the Chiefs what the Tampa D did to them in the Super Bowl. We were very good on D, but not as good as Tampa. If we are to take the next step, we need to find a way to stay very good on D, but elevate the offense back to a Payton-level squad. IMO, QB is the big question mark. If Jameis really is ready, then our first priority ought to be to get that side-to-side LB. (Kwon cannot be relied on to stay healthy, even if we can resign him.) Maybe, though, we ought to go out and get Wilson unless the market drives his price too high? Hard to say. We also need to get better at WR and receiving TE. I agree that Taysom's best role would be a hybrid TE/H-back.
I don’t think the Chiefs were missing half of their oline when we played them either.

I'm not stupid and I know it's not monopoly money. Loomis can restructure existing contract and make some of that money in to signing bonuses and spread it out to later years, He can also extend contracts and backload them. There's plenty of things he can do to get under the cap and sign the players they want to keep. I'll trust there judgement more than I will yours.
That’s exactly why we are in this predicament. Also, I know you’re not stupid, but it’s their judgement. That’s referable to your last sentence.

That’s exactly why we are in this predicament. Also, I know you’re not stupid, but it’s their judgement. That’s referable to your last sentence.

No that is not why we are in this predicament. Everything that has happened with the cap is due to Covid-19, not any mismanagement of the cap. No one knew this was going to happen, it just happened. If it wouldn't have happened the cap would have went up and we would have plenty of money to sign FA's, extend our players and sign our own FA's that are already on the team. The statement you made shows that I will trust the judgement of the front office and not yours.

I disagree that the D is Super Bowl caliber. NFL Network played the Saints/Packers game from last season and Rogers scorched them on 3 (I believe) long plays.

I do agree they improved a great deal.

Yeah let's not act like we're talking about breaking up the Ray Lewis Ravens right now. The defense was great there for a 6 or 7 game stretch but the reason they were great tore his Achilles and may never be the same player.

Thankfully the staff got to see what happens when you have two athletic and instinctual LBs on the field at the same time. Maybe finding another LBer or two will be a priority. And I hate to break up the party here but Demario Davis is 32 years old. How much longer can he play at an elite level? We need backers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom