We have our She-Hulk (2 Viewers)

lotion_snapshot_007.jpg

Forewarning the Netflix just cancelled it "due to covid" after season 3 despite unresolved plot. Which sucks as I was very into that show.

Kinda how I felt when they canceled Designated Survivor. That last episode looked like it was setting up another season, then Netflix canels it. Gaaahhh! Hate stuff like that.

Forewarning the Netflix just cancelled it "due to covid" after season 3 despite unresolved plot. Which sucks as I was very into that show.
I'm still ticked off with the way they renewed it and then used covid (in some pretty bad press releases) as an excuse to just can it. They did that show dirty.

I just read about how this is Netflix's business model now. They are much more interested in quantity of shows than giving the show enough time to really grow into an audience. If it isn't a Stranger Things type hit right out of the box they are looking to cancel it and throw several more shows out there.

I just read about how this is Netflix's business model now. They are much more interested in quantity of shows than giving the show enough time to really grow into an audience. If it isn't a Stranger Things type hit right out of the box they are looking to cancel it and throw several more shows out there.

Yeah, supposedly their model for keeping shows is based around whether they think that show is driving subscriber growth and their internal metrics allegedly show most shows stop driving subscriber growth by season 3. And they will dump a show no problem. It's hard to get invested in anything that isn't a massive hit because of that.

Yeah, supposedly their model for keeping shows is based around whether they think that show is driving subscriber growth and their internal metrics allegedly show most shows stop driving subscriber growth by season 3. And they will dump a show no problem. It's hard to get invested in anything that isn't a massive hit because of that.

So happy Amazon doesn't follow this model with the Prime Originals.

So happy Amazon doesn't follow this model with the Prime Originals.

Honestly, at a certain point I think Netflix's practices will start to scare off outside production companies from developing with them. If nothing else, the way they do business is starting to become a topic of conversation in the entertainment industry and not in a positive context. And with so many streaming services popping up and most of them starved for original content, they're far from the only game in town like they used to be.

There's also a lot of talk about Netflix becoming way more restrictive in how much freedom showrunners/producers are allowed and increasingly becoming obsessed with shows fitting into their algorithm as opposed to, ya know, being good and creative.

Last edited:
Honestly, at a certain point I think Netflix's practices will start to scare off outside production companies from developing with them. If nothing else, the way they do business is starting to become a topic of conversation in the entertainment industry and not in a positive context. And with so many streaming services popping up and most of them starved for original content, they're far from the only game in town like they used to be.

There's also a lot of talk about Netflix becoming way more restrictive in how much freedom showrunners/producers are allowed and increasingly becoming obsessed with shows fitting into their algorithm as opposed to, ya know, being good and creative.

Yeah, I just don’t see how this model can be sustainable. If many of your audience members are hesitant to invest in a show because of your track record with pulling the rug out from under them, then the show isn’t going to immediately pop, which will cause Netflix to cancel it.

It’s like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And your point about writers and production companies is a good one.

I think it applies to acting talent as well. Allison Brie has done several projects for Netflix, but she seemed legitimately ticked off about how things went down with GLOW.

We’ve seen Amazon and FX/Hulu (not to mention Disney) have no problem getting top-tier actors to be in their shows/movies. I think Netflix is starting to develop a reputation that they really shouldn’t want.

If it was a matter of wrapping up a show while in its prime that would be one thing. I get not letting a show get stale or go on too long. But like you said Glow was definitely set up for another season and really hitting its stride. Very disappointing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom