We have to hope Tony Jones beats out Murray (1 Viewer)

Probably this was just an off game for Latavius. We are going to need a 3rd back to keep Kamara fresh, rest the defense and avoid a shallow wr corps playing too many plays. It seems to my untrained eye that the running game is the way to go this season.

Probably this was just an off game for Latavius. We are going to need a 3rd back to keep Kamara fresh, rest the defense and avoid a shallow wr corps playing too many plays. It seems to my untrained eye that the running game is the way to go this season.
We all know that but we have a pass happy coach who has something he's never had even with drew brees a gun slinger. I expect alot of pass pass run pass pass drives this season lol

This offense is going to need every little advantage it can get this year with the passing game being a huge question mark.

Murray offers little to nothing at running back.

Jones can give us those explosive plays.

Crossing fingers he continues to shine.

PS - not saying Murray gets cut, just sits the bench most of the game.
Murray is a bit too north-south. Jones has cutback ability, and the ability to run outside the tackle. Both backs have good speed.

I would rather play the guy who can actually cut back and run outside the tackles. So lets hope Jones sticks.

Last edited:
Yeah I suspect a ton of Saints fans have an overrated viewpoint of Murray vs the reality. He's essentially 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

I do like his TD celebration, however.
Murray was more than serviceable last season. The problem was SP refusing to let him touch it again after a big gain. Not sure if we watched the same season last year.

This offense is going to need every little advantage it can get this year with the passing game being a huge question mark.

Murray offers little to nothing at running back.

Jones can give us those explosive plays.

Crossing fingers he continues to shine.

PS - not saying Murray gets cut, just sits the bench most of the game.

you have been around way too long to take this much stock in the first preseason game. Good lord.

Last edited:
If we were not keeping Murray he would have already been cut as a cap saving casualty. He’s got the skins on the wall as our #2. I think he’s safe unless all of a sudden he has lost a step and has trouble holding on to the ball.

I do think Tony Jones Jr is ready to make some waves if he gets the opportunity. One clip of him on YouTube said he was pretty good at blocking and protecting the QB too so that’s another big plus (if true). I am definitely optimistic if he makes the team as our #3 RB, plays special teams and gets a few relief carries. Smart, high character, def a Payton type of gritty/gutsy player!

I think he’s made the team. It’ll be interesting to see SP try him out at maybe punt/kick return, special teams to solidify his making the team. Dude is legit.

Jones really played great against that vaunted 3rd string Ravens D!
Yeah, you play the team in front of you, but the best players cheering from the sidelines allows a bit more "wiggle room".
That was last night, on both sides.
It seems like it's been forever since the DomeField advantage @ home! Oh yeah it was. I imagine next week the crowd will be in mid-season form. That ALWAYS seems to give the team a bit of an extra oomph. 2 more dress rehearsals Then a huge cutdown.

IMO Tony Jones looked like what you would expect from a player like Freeman: A good zone runner that can cutback and hit the open lanes.

He's not washed up. But he is a cap cut that saves close to 2 million... we don't have many of these type of cuts available... Trequan too.
To do... What? We can't trade for a good player with quality picks that we desperately need.

Jones really played great against that vaunted 3rd string Ravens D!
Yeah, you play the team in front of you, but the best players cheering from the sidelines allows a bit more "wiggle room".
That was last night, on both sides.
It seems like it's been forever since the DomeField advantage @ home! Oh yeah it was. I imagine next week the crowd will be in mid-season form. That ALWAYS seems to give the team a bit of an extra oomph. 2 more dress rehearsals Then a huge cutdown.
knowing where the free rusher is coming from in pass protection is good no matter what level of talent you're playing against.

Jones had open lanes on the zone stretch (surely due in part to the opposing talent level) but he made the right reads and caught the ball cleanly out of the backfield. Freeman is 5'8" 200 and Jones is 5"11 220. If they're about the same speed then Jones will be the far more useful player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom