We have to hope Tony Jones beats out Murray (1 Viewer)

No we don´t need to cut him. The cap is not an issue, he is a tough north-south runner that complements Kamara very well and can play as a RB 1 for a game or two. Unless he lost a step, but I don't think you can see that after one preseason game. Tony Jones could be an excellent third RB that could be part of the rotation, since he offers a different skillset (playing zone running). If anything, Washington is in danger of getting cut.

I like Murray and think the Saints drastically under used him in the past. Between him, Kamara and Jones we could have a 3 headed monster at RB

To be fair to the OP, we've seen RBs totally fall off a cliff before. It's not unusual. This will be Murray's age 31 season so if he doesn't have the juice anymore then it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

I've watched the game a few times now and the difference in burst between Jones and Murray was drastic. If Murray is a spent force then the Saints will let him go. I don't think there's a huge financial or emotional investment here. Hopefully Murray is just getting warmed up and he'll be ready to roll this season. I'm a big fan of his. Given the opportunity I have no doubt he could've been the feature back for the Saints the past two seasons.

PPS - After one preseason game where Murray was getting hit behind the LOS much of the time....OK....see below....you have no idea what you are talking about....I thought there would be a dropoff in our offense when Murray replaced Ingram, I was wrong.....
Murray had openings on a few of the runs, but he didn’t run to those openings. He squeezed through and pushed over a couple of spots that weren’t as open. At least he got positive yards, but Jones’ vision was special in this game. Freeman was the worst, because there were even more missed opportunities for him, and he wasn’t getting anything.

I will say this, Tony Jones had some great blitz pick-ups on Sat night. Usually a big part in keeping these vets around in favor of the younger, better pure runner is because the young runner has a hard time picking up pass pro. If the coaches trust Tony to pass block, that would be huge.

This offense is going to need every little advantage it can get this year with the passing game being a huge question mark.

Murray offers little to nothing at running back.

Jones can give us those explosive plays.

Crossing fingers he continues to shine.

PS - not saying Murray gets cut, just sits the bench most of the game.
Really, Murray has proven to be effective.

After tonight I think reviving discussion about the back up RB competition is probably relevant.

Out of all the RBs that played, Latavius seemed to be sluggish while everyone else ran hard and looked relatively fresh.

A week ago I wouldn’t have entertained the idea of Murray not making it but at this point I think he may be competing with Freeman for the #3 spot. And both of them don’t play special teams, while Washington offered production as a back and special teamer.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

After tonight I think reviving discussion about the back up RB competition is probably relevant.

Out of all the RBs that played, Latavius seemed to be sluggish while everyone else ran hard and looked relatively fresh.

A week ago I wouldn’t have entertained the idea of Murray not making it but at this point I think he may be competing with Freeman for the #3 spot. And both of them don’t play special teams, while Washington offered production as a back and special teamer.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Jones has clearly outplayed Murray in the games, but it looks to me like Murray is just trying to stay healthy for the regular season. Freeman is an easy cut. Kamara is #1 and Washington is #4.

I'd have to watch practices to make a choice between Murray and Jones for 2 and 3, but they're really different players that fit the specific roles Sean Payton likes. Kamara is a modified Reggie Bush role with star touch numbers, Tony Jones is the Pierre Thomas role, and Latavius Murray is the Mike Bell role.

He's not washed up. But he is a cap cut that saves close to 2 million... we don't have many of these type of cuts available... Trequan too.

It will be a very interesting decision on the last cut day. I would not be surprised to see both get cut, both make the team or just one make the team. Neither one is a sure thing right now and they were both sure things last year. Cutting Murray saves over $2 million on the cap, cutting TQS saves over $1 million, after you factor in their being replaced by rookies or minimum contract guys. That money adds up and can be rolled into 2022.

This offense is going to need every little advantage it can get this year with the passing game being a huge question mark.

Murray offers little to nothing at running back.

Jones can give us those explosive plays.

Crossing fingers he continues to shine.

PS - not saying Murray gets cut, just sits the bench most of the game.
Murray is more of a I formation back. Power sets. Does well with a full back. Murray has a veteran way and enough talent to do just enough to get it done in most sets. Jones is better scheme fit in my opinion. He has a play style.and running style that can fit in any sets. Spread/ power sets. Single back. And he is showing 3 down capabilities with dependable pass catching and pass protection.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom