We just can't flip the switch to on (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I wish there was a switch we could turn on for our ream. Believing that the preseason is just a dream but the fact is there is no such switch and we need to face the fact this is just a bad football team with very little talent. No consistent offense and terrible defense. Some may say Drew will show his real self when it counts. That probably won't happen because he will be running for his life and constantly be scraped off the turf. This looks like a 4-12 team. Hope I'm wrong. I've been before many times.

While preseason performance is not an end all indicator of what the team will look like in the regular season it does give you some strong clues. So far those clues are the OL will struggle, has no quality depth, there will be no running lanes, and Brees will be under constant pressure. Defensively the team will be improved but will still struggle with a pass rush, have to create pressure using the blitz (which means our young CBs will playing on an island and have to give up huge cushions), the secondary is very young and will have growing pains.

I suspect this team will struggle to win early, maybe the OL will gell (and get Roushar scheme), and maybe win some games they shouldn't in the second half of the season. 6-10 is my guess.....

I'm going with
Scheming the defense will help , home game will help, a win first week will jolt this team the young guys need it

Strategy will help the offense , play calling , blocking help etc. maybe even a pitch back to Drew

Hey will be first game in my new man cave , with my 46 wall mounted HD tv and I've not watched any sports in there yet, only Amazon replays of the wire , it can happen

This entire season rides on the Oakland game we win all is well and roll from there , but we lose let's be real we start 0-4

While preseason performance is not an end all indicator of what the team will look like in the regular season it does give you some strong clues. So far those clues are the OL will struggle, has no quality depth, there will be no running lanes, and Brees will be under constant pressure. Defensively the team will be improved but will still struggle with a pass rush, have to create pressure using the blitz (which means our young CBs will playing on an island and have to give up huge cushions), the secondary is very young and will have growing pains.

I suspect this team will struggle to win early, maybe the OL will gell (and get Roushar scheme), and maybe win some games they shouldn't in the second half of the season. 6-10 is my guess.....

Why, because we struggled to generate pass rush in one game against a top-5 offense? If that's the case, we have nothing to worry about week 1 from Khalil Mack and company because they haven't generated any pass rush tonite against the Tennessee freaking Titans...

I'll say our team will win 3 to 4 games this season. Until we can afford outstanding players,we will sufferind

I'll say our team will win 3 to 4 games this season. Until we can afford outstanding players,we will sufferind

If the Offensive line can gel as a unit and even be simply DECENT then this could be an 11-win team.

Offensively we have a lot of weapons, it all hinges on the O-line. The defense *finally* looks improved and even more when Rankins comes back. Spiller has the bounce back in his step and looks poised for a big year. If the O-line can even crack the top 20 we are an 11-win team.

Yup. No switch. Going to have to work to get better. If we can get/stay healthy, there's no reason we can't do that.

I'm going with
Scheming the defense will help , home game will help, a win first week will jolt this team the young guys need it

Strategy will help the offense , play calling , blocking help etc. maybe even a pitch back to Drew

Hey will be first game in my new man cave , with my 46 wall mounted HD tv and I've not watched any sports in there yet, only Amazon replays of the wire , it can happen
The coaches have to narrow down to some things we can do well and and stick with that and be patient. Part of this is getting some confidence going, so keep them to things we can do competently for a while, even if that limits the offense a bit. Hopefully all the skill position talent they have invested in can break some big plays and help get the overall confidence going. This is going to be part of it because they are probably feeling as deflated as fans right now. Something has to start shifting the psychology.

But this depends of course on:

1) ability of coaches to be patient and keep the offense scripted creatively around what this OL CAN do well enough

2) ability of defense to keep the score close so Payton CAN be patient with the offense

Possibility of both of those notions is a question mark because we don't know yet what we have in this defense and Payton does have the tendency to be impatient and to want to call what we wants regardless of what his players have demonstrated they can do.

There's lots of examples but again the most recent in my mind was the second tenure of Jonathan Goodwin. His skills were diminished and at some point he got an ankle injury and he was getting walked back into Brees. This was causing middle pressure and was a factor in some key turnovers and game losses...but still Payton was calling the 7 step drops pretty often regardless of the pressure Goodwin was giving up. Really risky.

And speaking of Goodwin and the notion something of the coaching and scheme under this staff, remember that the first time they let Goodwin go it was because they thought it was because thought they could to get better running the ball with an upgrade at Center and I think they didn't want to give Goodwin a raise.

So, Goodwin goes to SF and anchors that line when their ground game took off and was a foundation of their run of success. Goodwin was in the middle of a top running game for a few seasons. So was it player or coaching and scheme?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom