We just can't get a break (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
2 years ago it was the Minnesota Miracle. Last year, it was the No Call on the PI and Helmet to Helmet hit. Now, it's injuries: Bree's, Anzalone, Rankins....Jeez!

Now, we're down to Bridgewater playing QB. Like Tom Cruise said in a Few Good Men, "And the hits just keep on coming...." When we first traded for TB, I was excited. I never really watched him play for the Vikings, but I remembered him winning and taking them to the playoffs. Then, Carolina happened. I thought to myself that it was just because we had taken out all of our top offensive players, and that TB hadn't had a whole off-season in our offense. Then, Bree's goes down, and he played most of the Rams game. This, after what I saw in the pre-season. God, I hope I'm wrong, but I think our season is done if we play him over Hill. 6 points in a game? Less than 200 yards passing. This is Michael Vick territory. Jeez!

I wonder if Loomis is looking into a trade for a QB that we don't know about. He and Payton have to have seen the same things we've all seen. Holding on to the ball too long, over throwing receivers, throwing the ball into the ground.....it just feels to me like we have gone from a SB team to a 3 place finish in the NFC South.

Someone, please show me a silver lining in all of this.

Attachments

• E53E2ADD-8D3D-424B-B2D7-DB48877BB02B.gif
    E53E2ADD-8D3D-424B-B2D7-DB48877BB02B.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
Let's see how TB looks with a week to prepare before we just quit the season.

I'm pretty hard on TB myself but geez, it's Teddy Bridgewater, not Nathan Peterman. There's a reason SP made him the highest paid backup in the league. Let's give him a chance

2 years ago it was the Minnesota Miracle. Last year, it was the No Call on the PI and Helmet to Helmet hit. Now, it's injuries: Bree's, Anzalone, Rankins....Jeez!

Now, we're down to Bridgewater playing QB. Like Tom Cruise said in a Few Good Men, "And the hits just keep on coming...." When we first traded for TB, I was excited. I never really watched him play for the Vikings, but I remembered him winning and taking them to the playoffs. Then, Carolina happened. I thought to myself that it was just because we had taken out all of our top offensive players, and that TB hadn't had a whole off-season in our offense. Then, Bree's goes down, and he played most of the Rams game. This, after what I saw in the pre-season. God, I hope I'm wrong, but I think our season is done if we play him over Hill. 6 points in a game? Less than 200 yards passing. This is Michael Vick territory. Jeez!

I wonder if Loomis is looking into a trade for a QB that we don't know about. He and Payton have to have seen the same things we've all seen. Holding on to the ball too long, over throwing receivers, throwing the ball into the ground.....it just feels to me like we have gone from a SB team to a 3 place finish in the NFC South.

Well, I noticed the throw into the ground I think on a screen that was full of Rams...later I thought the coaches may have told him, if the guy is covered, just throw it into the ground...can't afford to be down to one qb...
And, I have watched enough film on TB to know he does have the tools...I have seen him throw some of the most accurate, beautiful passes, deep, into good coverage, in the perfect spot for a catch on the fly...and I have seen him run the ball in traffic, with authority, even after the injury..
and lastly, this was going in cold, against the Rams...nuff said there...
But, I certainly share your feelings..and I do not feel good about this upcoming game...my only ray of sunshine is Humphrey has been signed to play receiver, and that could be a good thing...if Bridge can connect on some passes early, I think the whole game becomes more manageable..at this point, I just want to look like we are playing respectable football for four quarters...a win is gravy..
And, they are planning to use two qbs, and to me, this may be the smart move...while one qb is on the field, the other can be talking with coaches, looking at a tablet and plays he may try on the next series....all together, we have a chance...not a big chance, but a chance..you know...when you lose a field general like Brees.....the offense is gonna change, and likely not get better...just no way to sugar coat it...its gonna be tough..I think we should let Washington run the ball...he would fit well into this game..I am most worried about left guard spot...Clapp? How about Easton...where is he...

I'm just looking forward to the Saints laying Russell Wilson on the turf repeatedly.

Give TB through halftime of the Tampa game. If he wins vs Seattle or Dallas, then I think we will be ok as this is by far the hardest part of our season. If he loses to both, we are still OK as long as we win out in our division. If he starts to tank vs Tampa... then he needs to sit.

teddy has a 1yr guaranty $ contract, if they cut him tomorrow they dont save any money because of it

at this point its more about getting value for that money spent then deciding if he is our future #1 QB, i think payton and loomis already have seen he isnt our future at this point, he was just an insurance policy in case drew got hurt and missed a few plays on the field, the man isnt even a shadow of his pre injury self, and he is indecisive where to go with the ball and afraid to throw the ball on time.

its like a batter in baseball who is afraid of being hit with the ball, until that inner fear can be overcome he will never be a good player and only teddy can overcome that fear, not the coaches or the game plan or the rest of the team, no one can do that for him.

Silver lining: Bridgewater will be practicing the entire week with the starters and Payton will have a week to game plan for him. The Seahawks are also a soft 2-0 after barely squeaking by a bad CIN team and a PIT team that lost Big Ben for the season early in that game.

Also, the NFC South sucks this year, so I think if we are 3-4 or 4-3 after 7 games, we still have a decent shot to win the division at 10-6 on the season.

Lastly, "we just can't get a break" isn't accurate. I said in a thread the other day - we won a Super Bowl 9.5 years ago where a ton of things broke our way. 12 teams have never won a Super Bowl. The Jets and Chiefs haven't won in 50 years, the Dolphins in 45....36 for the Raiders and 34 for the Bears. Last year, we won a game where one of the greatest kickers of all time (Justin Tucker) missed an extra point at the end. Yeah, we've gotten our hearts broken at the end of the past 2 seasons, but every team but 1 gets their hearts broken every year. If you ask "why me?" for the bad things, then you have to ask "why me?" for the good things that happen to you, too.

Last edited:
Holding on to the ball too long,

Bridgewater took two sacks and was pressured on 35.3 percent of his dropbacks, per PFF, about 13 percentage points higher than Brees’s pressure rate (22.4) on the year. Of course, pressure is often correlated to quarterback play, and while there were a few instances when Bridgewater was indecisive and held onto the ball a little too long in the pocket, the backup quarterback’s average time to throw of 2.89 seconds came in just a hair slower than Brees’s average on the year (2.83 seconds). The Saints will need to clean up their pass protection going forward to give Bridgewater a better chance to run the offense.

Blessing in disguise IMO. I think we might just surprise some teams looking past a Breesless team. Then just in time for our playoff run 9 comes back rested and ready.

These are hugely emotional times for us Who Dats. The Brees injury is like a dagger to the heart. I agree with many of the other posters. Let's give SP and Teddy a couple of games to get a new gameplan in play which suits Teddy's game, a chance for SP to rally the troops and get them fully motivated. imho, I don't think there's a better coach in the league besides Bellicheck. We may all be presently surprised in a few weeks. We are all in this together Brother!

I'm just looking forward to the Saints laying Russell Wilson on the turf repeatedly.

Like he used to do to those poor kids that he bullied in school? That interview still cracks me up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom