We Just Hired the former Browns DC Joe Woods (merged) (1 Viewer)

From 2021:
1987 - The Browns finished fifth in the NFL in total defense, marking their highest finish in that category since 1987. It was also just the third time since 1970 the team has finished in the top five.
5 - The Browns also finished fifth in the league in pass defense, which is their highest finish since 2011 when they finished second.
3 - Cleveland joined Green Bay and San Francisco as the only three teams in 2021 to finish in the top 12 in total defense, run defense and pass defense.
25 - Sacks between Myles Garrett (16) and Jadeveon Clowney (9), the second-most by a pair of Browns teammates in a season. They trailed only the 26 by Reggie Camp (14) and Clay Matthews (12) in 1984.

In 2020, the year Woods was hired, the team was 10th overall in defense. They were trending upward until this season. This article (from Cleveland) seems to think it might have had something to do with the signing of Deshaun Watson and the lack of resources available to the team after that signing. A coach doesn't cease to be good all of the sudden and since his defenses were trending upward before last season, that seems reasonable.

So if you are keeping score we hired a fired SEC defensive coordinator, and a fired multiple times NFL defensive coordinator. I don’t like the hire and I hope I’m wrong when the season gets rolling.

Everyone feel better and excited?
Kris Richard was fired by the Seahawks and Cowboys before we brought him here, and everyone celebrated his hiring (including myself).
Now he has been let go again.

Maybe we're not as smart regarding a) the qualifications of these assistant coaches, and b) their fit on the coaching staff (probably the most important aspect with regards to how they will work out) as we think we are.

And, if you're you good enough to stay in the coaching profession for a long time, you're going to get fired/let go/moved on from at some point.

So, if he is so good with the secondary, why would he be needed as DC? Whether the DC is the actual play caller on gameday, he is a significant part of the game plan and overall coordination of the defense. Wood has been very good as a position coach and mixed at best as a coordinator.

Give me the guy who has "been very good as a position coach" and has experience as a DC for the role, because the secondary needs quality coaching with the departure of Richard, and that's the main reason Woods is being brought in. The Saints aren't going to be an attractive landing spot for a proven DC as long as that coach isn't going to be the play caller. It's Allen's defense, for better or worse. Again, you know all of this.

Nick I swear, he will take up for anything this year does. Even if he knows it’s a mistake. It’s why I don’t watch their show anymore.

You understand Nick simply posted facts about JW's defenses he was part of? And you're taking offense to that or somehow saying Nick is being bias? That was simply a post to put some thought/rationale behind the hire and you took that as a negative....

So, if he is so good with the secondary, why would he be needed as DC? Whether the DC is the actual play caller on gameday, he is a significant part of the game plan and overall coordination of the defense. Wood has been very good as a position coach and mixed at best as a coordinator.
I read an interview with Mike Tomlin from years ago about titles like run game coordinator or pass game coordinator. The gist of his comments was that sometimes the coordinator title means something significant and sometimes its a way to get a guy a better salary.

I wouldn't read too much into the title.

Worst run defense in NFL

Which the article I posted addresses. Do keep up, please. The first article you posted even says the defense got better in the second half of the season, lending credence to the article I posted that there were other factors that led to the poor performance.

Are the coaches being hired better than the coaches who are leaving?

My knowledge of the game does not allow me to evaluate assistant coaches. But I am concerned that we are hiring an assistant whose old team did not want him and are losing assistants we wanted to keep.

In looking over his career, he might be. (From Wikipedia) "In Woods’ first season coaching the Broncos’ secondary in 2015, Denver finished first in the NFL against the pass (199.6 ypg) while the defensive backfield accounted for 11 interceptions, 56 passes defensed, nine forced fumbles and four touchdowns.[1] The Broncos posted three interceptions against just one passing touchdown allowed during Denver's postseason run that ended with a victory in Super Bowl 50. In 2016, the Broncos’ secondary held opponents to the fewest yards per game (185.8), yards per attempt (5.8) and passing touchdowns (13) in the NFL.

After the departure of defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, Woods was chosen to be promoted to defensive coordinator for the 2017 season.[3] Denver finished first in the NFL in pass defense in both 2015 (199.6 ypg) and 2016 (185.8) with Woods coaching the team's defensive backs.[1] All four of Denver's starting defensive backs made at least one Pro Bowl playing for Woods from 2015 to 2016, including cornerbacks Chris Harris Jr. (2015-16) and Aqib Talib (2015-16), who were also named first-team All-Pro selections by the Associated Press in 2016. Safeties T. J. Ward (2015) and Darian Stewart (2016) also earned Pro Bowl recognitions while playing for Woods.

In Woods’ first season as defensive coordinator in 2017, the Broncos finished third in the NFL in total defense, giving up just 290.0 yards per game. The Broncos’ fifth-ranked run defense in 2017 was particularly impressive as it improved by more than 40 yards per game after finishing 28th in the NFL in 2016"

My knowledge of the game does not allow me to evaluate assistant coaches. But I am concerned that we are hiring an assistant whose old team did not want him and are losing assistants we wanted to keep.
Nope, both the guys leaving could easily be HC candidates in the future.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom