We made the RIGHT pick (1 Viewer)

TheOneManShow 02

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Kenny Vaccaro is the player I wanted from day 1. He is a player I have supported and been a fan of since I put on his tape.

I was at a draft party with many 49ers fans and the look on their face when we picked Vaccaro was beautiful- he was the guy they wanted, and baaaad. He is the BEST safety in this draft. What area has our defense struggled in the past few seasons? What position has blown several playoff games for us? SAFETY. We addressed it! I was pumped and ready to share my excitement with the SaintsReport fam but all I got was negative post after negative post (with a few happy posters). Why so much negativitiy?

The draft is not over. We can still address other key positions in the draft. We have a staple of capable OLBs that can compete. We now added a safety that will bring quality competition.

The knock I see time after time is the lack of INTs. Have you watched his tape? He wasn't asked to get INTs at Texas. He played over 4 different positions during his time at Texas and excelled at them all. He has ball skills (go back and watch his combine workout) and he can play in space... he just wasn't asked to do that all the time at Texas. That does not mean he cannot do it. He is a playmaker. We are at a point the league where safety is becoming an impactful position again. A great safety can change the way a defense looks. We finally got ourselves an instinctive player which can bring that affect to our defense.

Rob Ryan has done wonders with his DBs. I have no doubt Vaccaro will be a star on this team.

I wish people would be nicer and share some of this "tape" they are watching of all these prospects. All I ever find is youtube clips with crappy music...

No offense, but because he's the guy you wanted, doesn't make it the right pick. I'm not saying he will be good or bad.

I read recently that the easiest positions to figure out the success rates are pass rushers. Put simply, if they got sacks in college, they got sacks in the NFL. If that's true, we should have gotten Jarvis Jones.

Vaccaro may end up being a beast, and I hope that's true. But if Jones has double digit sacks and win defensive rookie of the year, its gonna tick me off.

I read recently that the easiest positions to figure out the success rates are pass rushers. Put simply, if they got sacks in college, they got sacks in the NFL. If that's true, we should have gotten Jarvis Jones.

Where in the world did you read that? That's 100% false :smilielol:

And you do realize that Jarvis got more than half of his sacks last year against two VERY inferior teams? I'm just saying. He'll do fine in Pitt, but we picked the right guy.

The only guy I was mad that we passed on was Floyd, not Jones.

Where in the world did you read that? That's 100% false :smilielol:

And you do realize that Jarvis got more than half of his sacks last year against two VERY inferior teams? I'm just saying. He'll do fine in Pitt, but we picked the right guy.

The only guy I was mad that we passed on was Floyd, not Jones.

Really? Was that the 3 sacks against Florida, the 2 against Alabama, or the 2 against Nebraska?

What fans are failing to realize is how poor our safety play has been as of late. We had the worst tandem (and individual) performances from the backend. Sure they put up great
"stats" with tackles and sacks, but is that what you really want from a safety? It is a nice luxury to have it they can defend the back end.

We have competition at each of our levels now. Vaccaro is more of a complete player than both of our safeties. If someone in the draft falls to you where you can get an immediate upgrade, you get him.

In limited time, we have some of the most successful pass rushers on our team in Gallete and Butler. We also have depth and unknown potential in Wilson. The draft is deep and we can get another OLB to come in and compete.

Drafting the #1 player at a position of need is an easy choice. During free agency many fans wanted us to bring in Ed Reed, Glover Quinn, Goldson, Delmas, etc. almost any possible safety.. we addressed it guys!

It is time we say it as we see it-- Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins are liabilities. Vaccaro makes our team better any way you put it. That is why this draft has been a success so far and he was the right pick.

No offense, but because he's the guy you wanted, doesn't make it the right pick. I'm not saying he will be good or bad.

Vaccaro may end up being a beast, and I hope that's true. But if Jones has double digit sacks and win defensive rookie of the year, its gonna tick me off.

Will you still be ticked off if Butler, Galette and Wilson have a combined 20 to 25 sacks and Vaccaro ends up being a good safety?

I realize a lot of people wanted Jarvis Jones. However, I think he fits the mold of most the OLBs currently on our roster. Ask yourself if Jarvis Jones would be in on running downs? No. I would expect our LBing corps to include some variation of Lofton, Vilma, Hawthorne, and Wilson on running downs.

We have two guys just itching to get after that QB in Galette and Butler. Do you spend the #15 on Jarvis Jones and have him in that pass rushing group? Or do you get the best safety in the draft and have him make an impact immediately?

With the way offensive football is trending nowadays, you have hybrid defenders. I'd put Vaccaro in that group. Safeties are being asked to do a lot such as be a nickel defender, center fielder, or a half fielder. I think we just got a guy that can do it all. Payton spoke of his football intelligence, and in one interview Vaccaro called himself a football junkie. I think he provides us with a ton of flexibility in the secondary. Remember, Rob wants to have confidence in the back end of the D so he can send those crazy blitzes. Vaccaro provides that, and he even has shown he can do some blitzing himself.

I like the pick, and I agree. It was the RIGHT pick.

I think people are forgetting that we have Romus coming off IR...albeit he is coming off his second acl surgery but if he comes back strong and can stay healthy he could be a great OLB or DE. Vaccaro was a great pick to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom