We may still have an exclusive window to extend Fairley (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this in the Cuts/Resigning thread, but the topic probably deserves its own thread:

According to an old Advocate article on Fairley's voidable 3-year contract:

The defensive tackle's $4.69 million deal will void if he's on the team on the 15th day prior to the 2017 league year, according to a source. So, in essence, there are two shell years on the deal that exist to help the Saints spread out his $2.235 million signing bonus.

The league year starts on Mar 9th I believe, so there may still be time if Underhilll's source is correct.

If so, I wonder if they will pursue an extension, and if so, what kind of dollars he would be looking for.

Fairley turned 29 in January. I could see a 3-4 year deal if we are interested. I would not let it get too pricey though.

Considering those salaries, what would you call too pricey? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering those salaries, what would you call too pricey? Just curious.

I don't think Fairley quite warrants 7 mill a year. In his first 5 years in the league he only played in 61 of 80 games and only started in 30. That's a pretty poor showing for a first rounder. His 6th year in NO may have been his best, but I don't think it warrants 7 mill per year. He had lots of incentives for last year's contract and I would make any contract going forward be an incentive laden one for the longtime underachiever.

I don't think Fairley quite warrants 7 mill a year. In his first 5 years in the league he only played in 61 of 80 games and only started in 30. That's a pretty poor showing for a first rounder. His 6th year in NO may have been his best, but I don't think it warrants 7 mill per year. He had lots of incentives for last year's contract and I would make any contract going forward be an incentive laden one for the longtime underachiever.

I've been saying 5-6 is my hope. 7 is my guess. I doubt he's a Saint next year if we don't offer him at least 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom