We might hate to admit this, but in many respects Hill played a lot like Vick used to (1 Viewer)

Not sure why anyone would hate to admit it. Vick was quite the athlete.

He wasn't a very accurate passer (56%). He only cracked 3,000 yards passing twice and not until his 8th season. Only cracked 20 touchdown passes twice (20 and 21). Great athlete. Not a very good quarterback.

All this comparing hill to vick, young etc... is like creating your own player in madden. There is no point in comparing Taysom to anyone other than Taysom in the last game

He wasn't a very accurate passer (56%). He only cracked 3,000 yards passing twice and not until his 8th season. Only cracked 20 touchdown passes twice (20 and 21). Great athlete. Not a very good quarterback.

Vick was a better prospect than Murray, Jackson, and Allen. I’m very confident in that. I still think that he’s the best RPO QB that the game has seen. But I don’t think he work hard enough and was born in the wrong decade.

I said this after watching the game against ATL... I think Taysom’s style of play will eventually be more like Josh Allen in Buffalo. And that’s a good thing.

Crappy team, different era, etc. When he had 20 and 21 what was the top # in the league? 30's maybe??

The only QB I can think of that reminds me of the way TH runs as a QB is Cam Newton. I can’t think of another QB who runs as violent as TH.

That Douglass highlight reel does look familiar to Hill. Hill really is a bit different, athletically speaking. Most "mobile" QB's are fast and twitchy. Mahomes and Wilson with their reverse spin moves, Jackson and Vick with the downfield jukes and dead leg-type moves. Newton was huge, but IIRC, he didn't really use that size when running in the open field much. That size was more like Big Ben, mainly for shrugging off guys while in or escaping the pocket. Young had a bit of shake to him as well, but I liked his style (as much as I could like a 49'er).

Taysom is (plenty) fast enough to run away from Dline and most LB's, but then an absolute load who isn't afraid to use that against a DB. I really think it give Payton a neat opportunity to scheme up plays, mostly short yardage, that put him in a perfect opportunity to succeed by giving him a one on one against a defender that he can always beat one way or another. Much like giving a QB a more simple throwing read, I think Payton can do that for Taysom when dialing up the designed runs for short yardage. Get him against a DB and that guy is going to have to make a perfect tackle (Lattimore vs. M. Williams wasn't a DB vs. QB, but it was a perfect tackle!).

Alternatively, scheme him against a guy in the front 7 and that guy is going to have to take a perfect angle or he's toast.

Personally, I've always wanted to see what Payton could do with a mobile QB. I don't ever want Drew to retire, honestly, but at the same time, I do think that one of the ways to "game" the NFL salary cap system is by continually grabbing non-first round mobile/running QB's every other year or so and building that type of offense. It requires a play designer like Payton, which no other team has, but if you did it right, you could insulate your team (a bit) from injury and from the salary cap. You wouldn't have to pay top dollar for a QB who was only "good" (Ravens, Falcons, Lions, etc.) because you would always have 2 others in line who could run your offense without any real changes. Save that money to spend on your D and Oline.

Maybe we will get to see that in the near future.

Vick was not accurate... Hill played like Hill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom