Saints We need 2 more LBs (1 Viewer)

I would be more than fine taking 2 LBs. Not sure Anzalone will get another contract if he doesn’t have a full year of health and good play. Like Anzalone, Kiko is an injury waiting to happen, oh wait he’s injured now lol. Craig Robertson is old and mainly a special teams ace. We haven’t seen much from Kaden Elliss, but he fits the mold of the kind of LBs Payton likes. We need a starting SAM LB more than anything and neither Murray or Queen fit that spot. I would like to bring in Alec Ogletree or Nigel Bradham on a cheap one year prove it deal. Unless they think Anzalone & Kiko could fit that role, but that’s asking a lot.

SAM: Ogletree or Bradham, Kiko, Elliss
MIKE: Murray or Queen, Anzalone
WILL: Davis, Robertson

That would be a nice depth chart for that position.
That set up would give us a much better chance.

How many LBs do y’all want to carry on the roster? The Saints normally keep 4 or 5, IIRC. Adding one LB would likely mean releasing Craig Robertson. Adding two would mean releasing Robertson AND keeping 6 LBs on the roster. I just don’t see that happening.

Demario Davis
Alex Anzalone
Kiko Alonso
Kaden Elliss
Craig Robertson
Alonzo is probably done after his last injury. Anzalone shoulder is recovering from surgery after surgery ...he won't hold up for a season. Those are the 2 weakest links. Robertson can still play Eliss is an unknown at this point. He hasn't passed the eye test though.

Alonzo is probably done after his last injury. Anzalone shoulder is recovering from surgery after surgery ...he won't hold up for a season. Those are the 2 weakest links. Robertson can still play Eliss is an unknown at this point. He hasn't passed the eye test though.

Anzalone is healthy and ready for camp right now. Alonso just signed a contract projecting him to play. Ellis made the roster last year and the coaches were very high on him. These guys will very likely be taking roster spots that are a limited resource.

That's 7 players for a position that plays 2 the majority of the time.
Ideally we would have Davis, Robertson, Queen and Murry. and cut anzalone Alonzo, Anthony, and evaluate Eli's during preseason against the 2 rookies queen and Murry or whatever other rookies we get. This draft needs to be about Def. maybe a wr or TE in there somewhere. Main thing is if we don't have fast linebackers. We ain't winning a Superbowl.

Ideally we would have Davis, Robertson, Queen and Murry. and cut anzalone Alonzo, Anthony, and evaluate Eli's during preseason against the 2 rookies queen and Murry or whatever other rookies we get. This draft needs to be about Def. maybe a wr or TE in there somewhere. Main thing is if we don't have fast linebackers. We ain't winning a Superbowl.
All of our LBs are fast. Except for the old vet, Robertson, probably.

We NEED ONE LINE BACKER.

We rarely even play 3 LBs you still have Alonzone, Alsono and Robertson on the roster Whom are all capable players .

SLB- Alsono, ?
MLB Alonzone, ?
WLB-Davis , Robertson

We have versatility at the Lb position in which case adding 1 good player would give us a potential dangerous trio if Alex can stay healthy if not we still have Alonso and Robertson whom both can okay MLB and one of the OLB spots

How many LBs do y’all want to carry on the roster? The Saints normally keep 4 or 5, IIRC. Adding one LB would likely mean releasing Craig Robertson. Adding two would mean releasing Robertson AND keeping 6 LBs on the roster. I just don’t see that happening.

Demario Davis
Alex Anzalone
Kiko Alonso
Kaden Elliss
Craig Robertson

We usually carry 6 on roster and 1 on P.S. In 2015 we had 8 and one on P.S. Draft one more and bring in a few to compete. 2014 we had 10.

I like Anzalone's talent as much as anyone else, but this guy cannot quit breaking his shoulders. Was this his 4th shoulder injury? And I believe Kiko just had his 3rd ACL tear. That is worrisome for your starting LBs, especially when the guys behind them are either also coming off injury or just flat out stink.

We do need to draft at least one LB. Wouldn't hurt to sign one either. They'll probably also sign several UDFAs to compete.

Demario Davis
Alex Anzalone
Kiko Alonso
Kaden Elliss
Craig Robertson

3 of 5 are coming off season ending injuries.

Alonso torn his ACL in the playoffs so he may start on the PUP and could miss early season games?

I’m not confident Alex can make it a full season (he’s had major shoulder injuries since college).

Craig is an aging special teams type player.

Kaden is essentially a rookie/unknown.

LB is definitely a MUST heading into the draft but I trust the staff to try and fix it.

We usually carry 6 on roster and 1 on P.S. In 2015 we had 8 and one on P.S. Draft one more and bring in a few to compete. 2014 we had 10.

They have moved away from LB being the primary special teamers. Safety builds are now the go to. Nickel defense is also being used more and more. That has cut lb down to a 5 or 6 player position group in recent years.

They have moved away from LB being the primary special teamers. Safety builds are now the go to. Nickel defense is also being used more and more. That has cut lb down to a 5 or 6 player position group in recent years.

Yes, they have been keeping 6 with one on P.S. In December Saints had 6 on roster 1 on P.S. and 5 on IR.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom